Bought a second PC card, also doesn't work, HELLLP !

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Guest, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I desperately need to hook an external CD recorder for a job starting
    next week. I have an IBM T23 laptop which is a pretty good system.
    HD is now a 60-gig 7200rpm.
    786 megs of RAM.

    I have a triple boot system, so if something goes wrong in one Windows
    I have two others to rely on, rarely needed so far.
    The HD has 6 partitions, two FAT32 and four NTFS.
    I use the FAT32 while leaving the laptop unattended for downloading
    files. It seems a handy protection to the NTFS files, against
    intruders.

    Win98SE is on C: (FAT32)
    WinXP SP1 is on E: (NTFS)
    WinXP SP1 spare is on X: (NTFS)
    There are other partitions: D: (FAT 32), F: (NTFS), P: (NTFS), Y:
    (NTFS)
    DVD-rom drive is V:
    CDRW HP m820e (cardbus/scsi2) is W:

    Done some tweaking and it all works, except:

    I need a faster CD recorder than my old m820e which won't do it in the
    demanded time. So the obvious alternative would be to get a fast
    recorder and have it connected by way of a Cardbus (PC Card) adapter.
    I bought a SIIG 1394a/1394b card and an external ADS enclosure (also
    1394 a/b). Could never make the enclosure work, either on XP or 98SE.
    I even hired a local professional but it was puzzling for him two.
    E-mailed ADS support three times, never got a response from them.

    Where I live I can't find 1394 external enclosures, only USB2.
    So I gave up on the precious money I had spent and went ahead looking
    for a USB2 solution. Found a StarTech PC Card which is a combo
    USB2/1394a. As with the SIIG card, this one is also seen in its 1394
    form, but the new USB entries in Device Manager have yellow
    exclamation marks, and the properties message: "This device cannot
    start. (Code 10)Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for
    this device." Of course Troubleshoot didn't solve the problem.

    In Win98SE installation appears OK but as soon as I insert the card,
    it all freezes.
    Tried a newer driver install from StarTech, it got worse since then XP
    would crash with a blue screen.

    I wonder if this could be in anyway related to the partitioning status
    of my HD, and the letter-changing.
    I wonder if it could be IRQ-related and how I could sort this in XP.
    I wonder if there's some incompatibility between XP and both cards.
    I wonder if the SIIG card should use an external power adapter, even
    though the external enclosure is self-powered.

    I wonder: WHY THE HELL doesn't manufacturers provide easy, clear,
    step-by-step instructions, and why they do not assure their products's
    compatibility with existing systems.

    It does seem to add points to the Mac way, sorry to admit it.
    So now I feel forced to consider buying a desktop computer just to
    have a working recorder.
    What a nightmare.

    Guest, Sep 18, 2004

  2. Guest

    Joe Davis Guest

    My bet is on the drivers. In the past, with similar situations, I have had
    a lot of trouble installing some card bus devices. First, I would look on
    the internet for a shareware program that un-installs drivers, and try to
    get ALL of the ones you've been working with off your machine. Or use
    device manager and try to disable or remove all of them. Second, I'd
    concentrate on XP, because your Win98 might not support these devices.
    Reboot after removing all the drivers. Then, install the drivers and any
    software for the SIIG card BEFORE you try to connect the device. Shut down
    the computer. Connect the device and then power up. Be patient, sometimes
    it takes several minutes for the OS to find the new device. Good luck.

    Joe Davis, Sep 18, 2004

  3. Perhaps the problem is that the PC Card is Cardbus, but the laptop
    (BIOS) is only configured to support a 16-bit PC Card (Cardbus is 32
    bits). This is a setting in the BIOS of many laptops.

    Have you ever successfully supported ANY PC Card?

    Also, since you have a USB enclosure, does the laptop have it's own
    built-in USB port? If so, I'd try that, just to insure that the
    enclosure is working. It may be only USB 1, it should still work, it
    will be kind of slow (I think 4x is about all you can get from USB 1.1),
    but it would at least eliminate one variable.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 18, 2004
  4. T23 has full time CardBus. Where in the world did you get that from?

    Bruce Markowitz, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Yes, do buy a desktop.Laptops really SUCK.Even the best manufacturer in the
    world can't make a computer from scratch (like the '80s, the Amiga
    500,2000...ahhh).Remember the 2000?It had two (I think) 3 1/2" floppies and
    one 5 1/4" and was supposed to be IBM combatible.There was then a game with
    a submarine and one with knights...we were playing them all the time.I mean,
    that the whole project of the Amiga was done by commodore.My desktop has
    components from every possible manufacturer in the world (hand-picked by my
    vendor and by myself).
    celeron 2.4 GHz
    QDI P4 i 848 p
    geforce 4 mx 440 agp 8 x 64 mb ddr pixelview
    miro 17" crt
    hitachi 80 gb deskstar
    cd rom lg
    cd r/w teac
    floppy
    case braintrust 300w
    256 mb ddr 400 MHz
    zoom modem 56 k V92 (I think it's a faxmodem)
    keyboard+mouse maxball black (sorry mr.gates)
    windows 2000 pro
    office xp
    autocad r14
    inkjet lexmark z605
    speakers something for 20 euro
    everything cost me 700 euro with taxes including software
    no games anymore

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Sep 18, 2004
  6. On MANY notebooks, you have a choice of "16-bit" or "Cardbus" (which
    also supports 16-bit) PC Card support in the BIOS. And, in many cases,
    "16 bit" is the default. My comment was general in nature, I am not
    familiar with that particular model.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 18, 2004
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
    I know, that's always a high suspect. But I understand that once the
    card comes with its own manufacturer's drivers then it SHOULD work,
    shouldn't it?

    I also wonder: could there be some hardware incompatibility that
    drivers wouldn't cover ? I read comments about diferent chipsets used
    by different manufacturers (TI,Nec,Via,Ali,etc), but couldn't these go
    along with each other just by way of a properly written driver ?

    And here there's an other tricky aspect:
    The ADS enclosure comes with a CD solely for use with Win 98SE (which
    doesn't provide 1394a drivers), and claims the CD is not required for
    XP which has built-in support for Firewire (1394a).
    Then ..., somewhere in the middle of the manual I find something that
    I was given no previous notice when I was shopping for that product:
    "Firewire 800 (1394b) operation requires a third-party software such
    as Unibrain's UbCore". Hell, I thought, let's stay with 1394a then.
    But even that didn't work.
    Interesting. Never heard of such program, would you have one name that
    I could go searching for ?
    OK. Would I be better off doing this in Safe Mode? I read somewhere
    that Normal Mode only shows devices that are being used but unused
    ones could somehow interfere.
    Read above, ADS provides a CD especifically for 98SE.
    Meanwhile, the SIIG Firewire card is there fine and dandy after
    installing the drivers from its CD. At least, Device Manager doesn't
    indicate any problem.
    OK. I'll do that over again, step by step. But remember: I do see the
    SIIG card, I just see no trace of the ADS external enclosure, whether
    connected by 1394a or 1394b.

    Thanks for helping, Joe.

    Guest, Sep 19, 2004
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    Yes, that is sometimes the issue with some laptops, and maybe when a
    third problem causes the system to operate in compatibility mode, I'm
    just guessing. But Cardbus is fully functional here, and I've been
    using my HP external CD writer through a cardbus scsi2 PC card.
    Your suggestion makes sense, and maybe I can try it using some USB
    stuff like my digital camera. The ADS enclosure is not USB, it's
    either 1394a or 1394b, which are the same kind of connections found in
    the SIIG PC card.

    Thanks for helping, Barry.

    Guest, Sep 19, 2004
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    Correct.

    Guest, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    That's impressive.
    But: would the equipment I'm talking about work in your computer ?
    What happens if you want to add something to it and it doesn't work,
    are you able to sort the problem or even write software that fixes the
    problem ? I sure am not, so I'm asking for help.
    Thanks for helping.

    Guest, Sep 19, 2004
  11. Guest

    obs Guest

    Yes, do buy a desktop.Laptops really SUCK.Even the best manufacturer in the

    The guy is a moron. Either that or he
    has no problems strapping his desktop
    system to his back.

    obs, Sep 20, 2004
  12. Guest

    AndrewJ Guest

    Just get a USB 2.0 to IDE cable for $32.
    http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0044

    AndrewJ, Sep 20, 2004