Bought IT7-MAX2 from friend, won't boot up. (Gives FF)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by sprf2k, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. sprf2k

    sprf2k Guest

    Hey guys,

    I just bought a board and chip (IT7-MAX2 and 2.66GHz) off a friend of
    mine, and I know it was working before. I get it home and start it
    up, the POST display w/ Code FF, which after reading some old posts
    I'm taking to mean that it's starting up fine. At this point there is
    no video (card is installed and fastened, it's a GeForce MX400 I
    believe) and a 512 stick of DDR RAM. No drives installed.

    It's giving the FF after displaying about 6 other codes which I'm
    taking to believe as normal. It'll stop at FF and start beeping...6
    seconds on, 3 seconds off (or somewhere there abouts).

    This is as far as I've gotten it...any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Fred.

    sprf2k, Oct 5, 2004

  2. sprf2k

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Hey guys,
    |
    | I just bought a board and chip (IT7-MAX2 and 2.66GHz) off a friend of
    | mine, and I know it was working before. I get it home and start it
    | up, the POST display w/ Code FF, which after reading some old posts
    | I'm taking to mean that it's starting up fine. At this point there is
    | no video (card is installed and fastened, it's a GeForce MX400 I
    | believe) and a 512 stick of DDR RAM. No drives installed.
    |
    | It's giving the FF after displaying about 6 other codes which I'm
    | taking to believe as normal. It'll stop at FF and start beeping...6
    | seconds on, 3 seconds off (or somewhere there abouts).
    |
    | This is as far as I've gotten it...any ideas?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Fred.

    Hi Fred -

    Check how your RAM is seated.

    Jef

    Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards:

    No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a
    defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a
    dead-on-arrival board

    One beep - board is working fine

    One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or
    missing CPU

    1 short (Beep) System booting is normally

    2 short (Beep) CMOS setting error

    1 long - 1 short (Beep) DRAM ERROR

    1 long - 2 short (Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

    1 long - 3 short (Beep) Keyboard Error

    1 long - 9 short (Beep) ROM Error

    Long (Beep) continuous - DRAM isn't inserted correctly

    Short (Beep) continuous - POWER supply has a problem

    A two-tone siren - generally caused by overheating or out of specification
    voltages

    Four beeps then machine shuts down - this is because this version of the
    BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on
    the fan header. Make sure you attach a fan to the FAN1 or FAN4 header or
    clear CMOS to reset to default (no checking).

    Jef Norton, Oct 5, 2004