    BIOS update, i know know the erm as being bricked????? black scree
    nothing works please help, im a layman so easy ABC help would be greatl
    appreciated Thank

    max24, Dec 8, 2011

  2. max24

    Rob Guest

    On a working computer:
    1) Format a USB flash drive to "FAT" (not FAT32 or NTFS).
    2) go here and download the correct BIOS for your model:
    http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee PC 701SD/Linux&p=20&s=1&os=5&hashedid=n/a
    3) extract the 701xxxxx.ROM file from the .zip file you downloaded above.
    4) check that the 701xxxxx.ROM file is 524288 bytes in size.
    5) rename the 701xxxxx.ROM file to 701.ROM
    6) copy the 701.ROM file to the freshly formatted USB flash drive.

    On the broken eee701:
    7) make sure the eee is turned off, insert the flash drive into any USB port.
    8) switch the eee on.
    9) wait at least 10 minutes. Pray (optional).
    10) switch the eee off, then back on.

    If lucky, it will now be working.

    HTH

    Rob, Dec 9, 2011

  3. max24

    GMAN Guest

    9a) Remove flash drive

    GMAN, Dec 9, 2011
  4. max24

    Gary Seven Guest

    Return STOLEN machine to its rightful owner, asshole.

    max24 wrote:
    :: Hi All
    [snip]

    Gary Seven, Dec 11, 2011
  5. max24

    FolkGT Guest

    And you base that on what, exactly? How does bricked = stolen?

    FolkGT, Dec 12, 2011
  6. max24

    Rob Guest

    Good point - well spotted.

    Rob, Dec 13, 2011
  7. max24

    max24 Guest

    Hi Rob

    Thanks very much for your input its greatly appreciated.

    Ive tried it and im not sure if i am transferring the file onto th
    flash drive properly

    It does say elsewhere that i should save the file to the flash drive
    root however it doesnt say how to do this do you have any idea it woul
    be greatlt appreciated.

    Thanks

    max24

    max24, Dec 14, 2011
  8. max24

    max24 Guest

    lucky for me that there are proper and real peole like rob on here t
    offer help rather than well, says it all reall

    max24, Dec 14, 2011
  9. max24

    Rob Guest

    If you have renamed it to 701.ROM, copied it to the USB flash
    drive and it is the only file on that, it is already in the root.
    There should be no folders or other files on the flash drive.

    Double check that you formatted the USB flash drive in FAT format
    as FAT32 or NTFS definitely won't work.

    If the USB flash drive has a light on it which flickers when you
    read or write files to it, this light should flicker when you
    switch the bricked EEE on. This indicates that the BIOS update is
    in progress. If that isn't happening, it might mean that the EEE
    is unable to perform this emergency BIOS recovery process for
    some reason (ie it may have more problems than just a corrupted BIOS.)

    HTH

    Rob, Dec 15, 2011
  10. max24

    GMAN Guest

    It was definately wrong for the other person to have ASSumed that you stole
    it. But what he may have been reffering to is that the recovery procedure
    describe is whats also used to wipe ones password off of a stolen device.

    GMAN, Dec 15, 2011
  11. max24

    max24 Guest

    max24, Dec 21, 2011