1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Bridge Sound from TV Tuner Card to onboard Sound Card?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Spare, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Spare

    Spare Guest

    My last PC had some connections on the motherboard to bridge the sound
    from the TV tuner to the onboard sound card. My new PC (Dell Vostro
    400) does not have those connections on the motherboard.

    Can I splice a headphone jack connector onto the three-lead wire so
    that I can then plug it into the "Line In" jack on the exterior of the
    case? Is the signal the same? What is the wire->connector mapping?

    Spare, Mar 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. Spare

    gfretwell Guest

    My TV goes into "line in", just be sure you are using the "line out"
    output from the TV. The other header that might work would be the one
    from a CDROM drive.
    One other "gotcha". Some TVs still have a connection to the neutral so
    you can get some hum. Radio Shack (and others) have an isolation
    transformer that will decouple this.
    My 3 year old Daewoo TV would trip a GFCI when connected to a PC until
    I hooked it up through the transformer.
    gfretwell, Mar 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Spare

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Headphone out and line in are generally compatible, even if
    strictly different signal clases. Typically you can use
    a straight 3.5mm connector cable with headphone-type connectors on
    both sides.

    Arno Wagner, Mar 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.