    Plugging into the net mgt port on the back at least gets a single activity light blinking, but they seem totally silent on that port (and I don't know what I would do with that port anyway).

    I've tested the drives, graphics card, and all the cables with a Sun Fire v210, and everything seems to work fine. I doubt that all of the v240s are dead, and I'd like to at least be able to SSH into one. Ideally I'd like to get them working graphically.

    Is there something I'm missing about starting these machines?

    foolkingcrown, Apr 10, 2014

  2. What does the serial Console put out? I wouldn't trust anything to
    come out of the frame buffer on an unknown Sunfire system, but would
    expect console data from the Serial Console at all times.

    It could be the systems are set to not auto-boot
    (ie. setenv auto-boot? false).

    The v240 should be pretty close to the v210, I don't remember any
    differences myself offhand.

    Net Management is an ethernet port that allows you into the ALOM by
    ssh/telnet over the network. Obviously, you'd need to get into the
    ALOM over the serial mgmt port first to set the IP address, ALOM Admin
    password for this to happen.

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 10, 2014

  3. foolkingcrown

    Bubba Guest

    's log on stardate 10 tra 2014
    You need DB9-RJ45 for ALOM, than you can figure out what next.

    http://www.clausconrad.com/blog/how-to-build-a-db9-to-rj45-serial-cable

    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rj45-to-db9-adapter

    You can get it from some older Cisco equipment as well, so you might be
    searching in that direction as well.

    Bubba, Apr 18, 2014
  4. OK. I actually think I have that cable for Cisco stuff (although the RJ side is male), I could try that.

    I get absolutely nothing out the serial MGT port. I'm using a USB-Serial adapter and a FF gender changer--should I be using a null-modem cable?

    The serial port work for this if the drives have been nuked, right?

    Also, I've noticed that the (I'm assuming) diagnostic lights on the back are lighting up beside the yellow wrench. Is that telling me something is dead?

    Martin McDonough, Apr 27, 2014
  5. A normal Cisco serial (or Sun, Juniper, Fortinet, probably a dozen
    others) should already be a null-modem cable. If yours isn't, then yes
    you'd need one.

    But since your serial port end isn't normal, I have no idea what you have.
    Ie. most "modern" ones are pale blue, and have an RJ45 plug on one end and
    a female DE9 on the other, ready to plug into a stock PC serial port.

    A Sun serial cable is a silver adapter (RJ45 socket, with female DE9)
    and a stock ethernet (white) cable.
    Yes, the serial MGMT port should work without drives, an OS, or even
    the "main" system powered on. As long as the ALOM is up and running,
    you should be able to interact with it, and power on the system, reset
    it, connect to "console", and any mumber of things.
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19088-01/v240.srvr/819-4208-10/admin_intro.html#25228

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 28, 2014