    OK on my British friends DVD and PAL TV? Or should I go back and
    re-encode in PAL.

    Thanks!

    nobody, Nov 8, 2005

  2. I think they'll playback fine.

    Region 2 for instance is Western Europe, South Africa and Japan. Japan has
    NTSC region 2 discs and the other two territories use PAL. However, they
    should playback fine as long as the TV has 60 Hz ( Most PAL/I TVs these
    days support both 50 Hz and 60 Hz PAL ). There is no NTSC or PAL encoding in
    an MPEG file, they merely have different resolutions and framerates which
    correspond to NTSC (720x480, 60 Hz ) and PAL ( 720x576, 50 Hz ) standards. I
    think as long as yer British buddies have TVs which support 60 Hz PAL it
    should work fine.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Nov 8, 2005

  3. nobody

    Geoff Guest

    modern tv's can handle both formats, only on older tv's are you get a black
    and white image (means the tv can't handle ntsc)

    so no problem i'd say

    Geoff, Nov 9, 2005
  4. nobody

    kalev- Guest

    That Japan is included in reg2 - I find a bit bizarre...

    kalev-, Nov 10, 2005
  5. nobody

    First of One Guest

    Even if the TV cannot cannot handle 60 Hz, many DVD players, especially the
    cheap Taiwanese ones, :) can output to both NTSC and PAL.

    However, for guaranteed compatibility, have TMPEnc encode your videos to
    conform to the PAL standard. The main difference is the MPEG2 video file
    framerate (25 fps instead of 29.97 fps).

    First of One, Nov 13, 2005
  6. nobody

    abc Guest

    It might be quicker to find out if your friends TV can handle NTSC. If it
    can't the picture will be black and white.
    As First of One says the vast majority of DVD players do both formats.

    If you need to edit and encode anyway, you may as well choose PAL.

    abc, Nov 14, 2005