    the D600 (or USB ports on Win95 machines), just something that sits
    there and looks pretty on a features list?

    Thanks!

    William P. N. Smith, Sep 30, 2005

  2. William P. N. Smith

    bajan Guest

    hi William

    It is a great feature that mainly lets u do 3 things. Save all u
    files such that no one can access them even if ur notebook is lost o
    stolen. It prompts for passwords stored INSIDE the chip. U can creat
    ur new protected drive which is invisble to other users. Configur
    with Outlook express to send secure Emails.

    Setting up is very easy. Just look into the link support.dell and yo
    will be able to do it easily. You may have to activate the chi
    initially by entering the bios. Good luck William

    bajan, Oct 6, 2005

  3. William P. N. Smith

    Joe Morris Guest

    Another poster has responded to your direct question, but why the slam
    for the smartcard reader? The Latitude line is directed at business
    users, many of whom are beginning to use smartcards as authentication
    tokens; from my standpoint (supporting about 6000 users worldwide)
    having the built-in reader makes the current crop of Latitude models
    much easier to use for smartcard applications than other products
    that require add-on readers.

    Joe Morris

    Joe Morris, Oct 6, 2005
  4. Don't I get the same result by setting a hard disk password?
    If I'm the only user, and don't use LookOut Distress, is there
    anything else I'm missing?

    Thanks for the feedback!

    William P. N. Smith, Oct 7, 2005
  5. Because it doesn't seem to have any application, documentation, or
    use. I've tried plugging in a couple of smart cards (credit card,
    hospital card) and it doesn't _do_ anything. Maybe I'm expecting too
    much, but maybe a window that sez "Smart Card Inserted" would be nice,
    with some details about what the card is and what app I might need to
    do anything with it would be nice.
    Ah, Ok, I'm just trying to figure out what those applications might
    be, and coming up blank... Are there any small business apps, or
    credit card authorization programs, or security tokens I could use
    with it? So far I'd rather have type-II PCMCIA.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    William P. N. Smith, Oct 7, 2005