    question - is the socket economically replaceable, or is there some sort of
    commonly used bandaid (a fan with diagonally oriented opposing hooks)? Or
    is brother dearest in the market for a new mobo?

    wamaruna, Aug 1, 2003

  2. wamaruna

    David Burns Guest

    There is no good way to replace the socket, however, there are many models
    of heatsinks that use all three tabs, instead of just the one in the middle.
    These will still work perfectly fine with the middle tab gone. How do I
    know, you ask? Uh, a friend of mine broke his, and got a CoolerMaster
    HAC-V81. Yeah, that's it, it was a friend of mine, definately not me, it was
    someone else. Why are you looking at me like that?

    David Burns, Aug 1, 2003

  3. wamaruna

    Frank Guest

    I have had several socket 7's with sheared tabs... I used Artic Silver
    thermal epoxy to "glue" the heatsink to the CPU. Placing the CPU in the ZIF
    and pushing the clamp down holds everything in place.

    Frank

    Frank, Aug 2, 2003
  4. wamaruna

    Phil Guest

    My brother mailed me his sick PC, and either it didn't travel well via UPS,
    Hi,

    Very easy solution: buy a new HSF that uses all 3 nibs on the ZIF
    socket. But, you better inspect the MB, Video card or whatever
    components are inside the PC to make sure that the loose HSF does not
    cut or scratch any electronics traces, registors, capacitors, ...

    Phil, Aug 2, 2003
  5. wamaruna

    wamaruna Guest

    Thanks for the replies, guys. I've ordered a new HSF with a clip that
    engages all three nibs, as suggested. I previously did not know they
    existed, but obviously they do, and I think in the future that will be the
    only kind I buy. Yes, I too am a bit worried as to whether any electronic
    circuits may have been damaged while the current HSF was banging around
    inside while in transit from my brother. I'll have to wait for the new HSF
    before I fire up the PC and see what I see.

    wamaruna, Aug 2, 2003