    so is there anywhere I could buy a replacement "black box" i.e. the
    motherboard-mounted retention or get a heatsink for the socket 478 that
    doesn't require hooking brackets into the black box.

    google, Dec 14, 2005

  2. google

    Glen Guest

    Search eBay for 478 retention bracket. Should be $5USD tops.

    Glen, Dec 14, 2005

  3. google

    Doug B Guest

  4. google

    Ghostrider Guest

    There are several manufacturers of these that will sell to
    a retail partner. Some of the larger electronics/computer
    parts stores carry replacement brackets. And they can also
    be mail-ordered from Intel as the brackets are, essentially,
    plastic, snap-in parts.

    Ghostrider, Dec 14, 2005
  5. google

    - Guest

    If you have Fry's, CompUSA or Microcenter nearby, they should be able to
    help you out. Also, if you have a local mom-and-pop computer shop, they
    should have one for you (even if they have to salvage one off an old board).
    Make sure to get the plastic retainers/clips. Otherwise, you will have to
    do as others suggest and order one. Be careful not to bend/twist/flex your
    board when taking off the old one or installing the new one!

    Doug

    -, Dec 14, 2005
  6. google

    Sherman Guest