Brother Device Selector: Why? Can't Get Rid of It

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Bill, Sep 22, 2012.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Running Mac OS X 10.8, now upgraded to 10.8.2

    Recently installed a Brother printer update. Along with it came
    something called Device Selector and Control Center. This opens up and
    annoyingly demands my attention whenever I start up the computer. It
    supposedly has preferences to turn off automatic launch on computer
    startup but those preferences do not work. It is not a log-in item on
    any account, it just starts up on its own.

    It is not in the Application folder or utility folder.

    Process Monitor gives me the name and Unix file path, which I was able
    to follow using Terminal. It is buried in
    Library/Printers/Brother/Utitlies

    I don't want it, don't need it, and it is obtrusive and annoying.
    Anybody know anything about it? Should I just get rid of is using
    Terminal?

    Bill, Sep 22, 2012

  2. Bill

    sbt Guest

    Look in /Library/StartupItems, /Library/LaunchDaemons and in
    /Library/LaunchAgentsÅ if it is running at startup, there should be
    something in one of these locations that invoke it.

    sbt, Sep 22, 2012

  3. Yeah. I recall being quite annoyed about that. I'm still on 10.6 (and
    plan to be for some time), but I doubt that makes a difference.

    At first I wanted to get rid of it completely because I didn't see much
    use for it. I later found out that I did occasionally want it for when I
    wanted to scan, but I sure didn't want it in my face all the time.

    I finally figured out how to make its preferences work. It wants to put
    its preferences in a ~/Library/Preferences/Brother subdirectory instead
    of directly in ~/Library/Preferences. A little silly to make a whole
    subdirectory when there are only 2 files, but whatever. What is more
    than a little silly is that it insists on its files being in that
    subdirectory, but ytying to set the preferences won't actually make the
    subdirectory or tell you that it needs making. That's just plain poorly
    done and tested software. HP should sue them for stealing the idea of
    doing printer driver software so badly. :-(

    Paras below are from my own notes to myself (I have to keep a record of
    this kind of thing or I forget needed details):

    Brother Control Center is sort of useless and annoying.
    If you make the mistake of installing it on a Mac, it
    comes up and annoys you on every login. Just setting its
    preference to not do that doesn't work unless you first
    go ahead and configure it. Configuring creates the
    ~/Library/Preferences/Brother dir and the preference files
    in it. Once they are created, setting the preferences works.

    On the other hand, looks like the Brother Control center
    is needed to scan. When installed, the control center can
    be found in /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities.
    The one on the CD that came with the printer doesn't
    work with OS X 10.5; annoying failure message on login
    seems to be avoided only by deleting the
    /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server dir.
    Downloaded BrotherTwain scanner driver V 3.10 from
    brother.com. It claims to work with 10.5 and appears
    to do so. Not sure whether or not it is using any pieces
    from my attempt at installing from the CD. Postinstall
    script looks like things used to be in /Library/StartupItems
    (with the ambiguous name LoginServer) and in
    /etc/mach_init_per_user.d,, but I see nothing there now.

    Use the Control Center to configure things like file
    format for scans.

    After upgrading mira to 10.6, printing was fine, but the
    printer didn't "see" the Mac when scanning. Downloaded and
    installed Brother TWAIN drivers. That seemed to fix it.

    Tried the downloaded brother remote setup, but it seems
    to die without doing anything obvious. Not that I think
    I need it for anything.

    Richard Maine, Sep 22, 2012
  4. Bill

    Paul Sture Guest

    Quote of the month!

    :)

    Paul Sture, Sep 22, 2012
  5. Bill

    radiator

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    When you start up the computer and get this message (right click) on the app displaying on the dock and then go Options-> show in Finder, you will be able to see it on the Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/DeviceSelector

    radiator, Dec 4, 2013