BSOD & hang ups in dti2dvag

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Dave Weaver, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Dave Weaver

    Dave Weaver Guest

    I've recently upgraded from a GeForce 3 to a Radeon 9800XT, and ever
    since then I've been experiencing occasional lock-ups and/or BSODs, the
    latter reporting a problem in dti2dvag and a "STOP: 0x000000EA" code.

    The strange thing is the way it happens; the lock-ups always occur
    within seconds or minutes of XP starting, usually while I'm at the
    desktop. If it hasn't locked up after, say, 5 minutes, then it seems to
    be as stable as a rock. On the other hand sometimes it will lock up
    within seconds, so I reboot and it locks up again, etc etc, ad
    frustration. These lock-ups have frequently occurred when the machine is
    cold (and occasionally when it's not), so it doesn't appear to be heat
    related.

    In a fit of frustration I've re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed
    Windows XP from scratch, tried updating my drivers, and even tried the
    alternative "Omega" drivers, all to no effect.

    If it's relevant here are my hardware/software specs:

    Asus A7V8X motherboard
    Athlon 2600+ CPU
    512MB RAM

    Windows XP Home (fully patched)
    VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers v4.51
    Radeon Omega drivers 2.5.36a

    Anyone have any clues as to where I should be looking for the cause of
    the problem?
    Faulty graphics card, power supply, drivers, BIOS settings ... ?

    Any help greatfully received,

    Dave Weaver, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Dave Weaver

    patrickp Guest

    Ati and NVidia both seem to have very poor uninstall routines, Dave;
    in both cases an uninstall still leaves a lot of files and registry
    references on your system.

    While these remnants may or may not cause problems with upgrades,
    there's a much greater likelihood that they will cause problems with a
    videocard brand change.

    If you haven't taken steps to clean the remnants of your old NVidia
    drivers from your system, it's quite likely that conflicts with these
    are what's causing your problem. Apart from format C: there are three
    less radical approaches you can take: you can manually edit your
    registry and windows directory for remnants of the old drivers; you
    can use a general cleaner like Driver Cleaner or jv16 Power Tools, or
    you can use one of the specific NVidia driver cleaners; but you would
    need to look in the NVidia forums for those, rather than here.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Dave Weaver

    Dave Weaver Guest

    Point taken but, as I noted, I've reformatted and clean-installed
    Windows + ATI drivers to no positive effect. (The reformat wasn't
    just for this problem - it managed to sort out a general speed
    problem with XP, so it was worth it).

    Thanks for the info though.

    Dave Weaver, Apr 30, 2004