BSOD using NF7-M & Corsair memory...

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Mike L, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Greetings, all.
    I am getting constant BSODs, and I'm hoping someone here can clue me in
    on what I'm doing wrong. The players are:

    NF7-M momboard
    256MB of Corsair memory (one VS256MB400 DIMM (PC3200))
    AMD XP 2600+ processor
    Western Digital Caviar 102AA 10GB hard drive
    Windows 2000 Server Evaluation Copy (build 2195) w/Service Pack
    4

    I have no cards in any slots (I'm using the on-board video), and I'm
    using default values for everything. I'm not overclocking. The power
    supply is rated at 300W max. I only have the one DIMM (nothing to swap
    with).
    BSODs have included:

    Stop: 0x0000000A [various addresses] IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    (this references ntoskrnl.exe)

    Stop: 0x0000001E [various addresses] KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    (this references nv4_disp.dll)

    Stop: 0x0000004E [various addresses] PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (no
    reference for this)

    Stop: 0x00000050 [various addresses] PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    (this references nv4_disp.dll)

    If you need more detail about the Stops, I have all the information. I
    have tried:
    * Reloading the O/S from scratch.
    * Reloading the nv4_disp.dll.
    * Measured voltages out of the power supply; it smells a bit
    cooked, but the voltages looked okay (as long as 11.8V isn't out of
    tolerance for the 12v lines).
    * Reseating the memory.
    * Updating the BIOS.
    * Raising the voltage for the memory.
    * Changing the Memory Timings.
    * Changing the CAS Latency.
    * All fans work (one on the XP 2600+, one on the nForce2
    Ultra 400 chip, one in the power supply).

    The next tool I use on this is going to be a hammer. Anybody have any
    ideas? I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something simple here.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Mike L.

    Mike L, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Mike L

    Leon Rowell Guest

    Mike,

    Is this a new build, modified, or a computer that has been running OK
    for a while?

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Mike L

    Jef Norton Guest

    Hi Mike -

    Have you another PSU to test with? NF7 boards are very fussy about power
    and generally require a good quality, name-brand PSU rated at least 400
    watts.

    I sized the PSU on my NF7-M (with a XP2700+ processor, a gig of memory, two
    hard drives, a CDRW/DVD combo-drive and an add-on modem card) at
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    I determined that an Antec TruePower 430 with the following ratings was what
    my system needed:

    Total Max Output 430 watts
    +5V, +12V & +3.3V Max Output 410 watts

    +5V 36 amps
    +12V 20 amps
    +3.3V 28 amps
    -5V .5 amps (not really important)
    -12V 1.0 amps (not really important)
    +5VSB 2.0 amps

    A 300 watt PSU, even on a basic system such as the one you're putting
    together, is probably on the light side. Also, the maximum rating is just
    that - it's not a continuous rating. And if it's a cheap no-name or generic
    PSU, it's probably not going to give you the stable power that the system
    requires.

    Case in point, I replaced a so-called 450 watt generic PSU that came with my
    case with my Antec TruePower 430 as it wouldn't even start the POST process.
    I replaced the PSU and it roared to life.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Mike L

    GTD Guest

    Seems also, that good, clean, conditioned power going INTO the psu
    helps also, especially with generic PSUs where AC power is not clean.
    Always a good idea anyways.

    GTD, Sep 6, 2004
  5. Mike L

    0_Qed Guest

    Jef Norton wrote:
    ....snip...
    HMmmmm ...

    Thats about "all" you got tht you can "size".

    You still pushin' Porn_Power thru yer 'plug' ???

    XXOO,
    Qed.

    0_Qed, Sep 6, 2004
  6. Mike L

    Jef Norton Guest

    Qed

    | HMmmmm ...
    |
    | Thats about "all" you got tht you can "size".
    |
    | You still pushin' Porn_Power thru yer 'plug' ???
    |
    | XXOO,
    | Qed.

    I'll "size" you THIS right here (motions to nether regions)...

    And yeah... like I'd tell you if I were behind that "theparadise.xy"
    stinkhole that's been spamming every newsgroup I subscribe.

    Speaking of virus infected stinkholes... you ever get the red tag
    condemnation order lifted at "The Pit". I fear business must have really
    fallen off.

    We haven't seen much of you these days, so I guess maybe you been busy?

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Mike L

    0_Qed Guest

    Ouch!
    Geeze!
    Trim them fingernails.

    Which ones??? Maybe I can add a bit.
    Then too ...
    I heard 'rumors' its' TomG , tryin' you wear you down.

    Au Contrare'.
    That was a Class_A dining 'award', btw.
    I'm now famous for my Sheep Dip au Hollandaise 'speciality'.

    A buddy boughta shoal draft keeled sail boat(sloop), 1st one for him.
    Launch ramp in great, but has a shallow launch slope (2%+\-)
    I can see water in his PU bed when it "just" floats off ...
    padded 'bunks', no rollers.
    Been mentoring in the art of sailing.
    Gotta wait till Oct for wind enuf to flatten it. :)
    And 'Yah', we plugged up both his 'meatball' breathers(4x4),
    no sucking cold water.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Leon,
    This is a new build. Even in Safe Mode, the most runtime I've gotten
    outta this thing is about 15 minutes. Usually, I run into problems within
    the first 5 minutes. I managed to get two new BSODs - an "unexpected kernel
    mode trap" in Safe Mode, and "bad pool caller" after a normal boot. Also
    noticed a bit of glitching left by the cursor on the display. I'd drag the
    nearest river with this box, but I'm sure the EPA would get me on pollution
    charges....

    Mike L.

    Mike L, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Jef,
    I only have this PSU - it came with the case, which was a $29 special.
    Thanks for the link; I'll start looking at PSUs with "more power"....

    Mike L.

    Mike L, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Mike L

    Jef Norton Guest

    Qed wrote:

    | Jef Norton wrote:
    | > I'll "size" you THIS right here (motions to nether regions)...
    |
    | Ouch!
    | Geeze!
    | Trim them fingernails.

    Nice to see that the incantations I learned at alt.doll.voodoo.homemade are
    beginning to work. The incense (like your Sheep Dip.. more on that later)
    really stinks. But I guess maybe the scrapings I took from the bathroom at
    "The Pit" had enough of your 'personal effects' to finally get this thing to
    'kick in'.

    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bathroom.jpg

    | > And yeah... like I'd tell you if I were behind that "theparadise.xy"
    | > stinkhole that's been spamming every newsgroup I subscribe.
    |
    | Which ones??? Maybe I can add a bit.
    | Then too ...
    | I heard 'rumors' its' TomG , tryin' you wear you down.

    You've seen the pictures. TomG can barely put his dentures back in after
    pleasuring the sheep (get yer mind outta the gutter... you wouldn't want him
    losing an expensive plate out in the yard... or even biting his tongue at
    the height of passions, would you?). I'm not afraid of any geezer stalking
    me - I can still walk pretty fast.

    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/missus.jpg

    | > Speaking of virus infected stinkholes... you ever get the red tag
    | > condemnation order lifted at "The Pit". I fear business must have
    really
    | > fallen off.
    |
    | Au Contrare'.
    | That was a Class_A dining 'award', btw.
    | I'm now famous for my Sheep Dip au Hollandaise 'speciality'.

    That wasn't an 'award' you saw in "Food Contamination Weekly Alert". It was
    a Public Health Warning. Wipe the splatter from your glasses before reading
    the magazines in the waiting room at the Free Clinic. ¬°Geez!

    As to your Sheep Dip au Hollandaise... You may give it a fancy hoity-toity
    French name, but it still looks like sheep manure, it still stinks like
    sheep manure, I imagine it still tastes like sheep manure. Hell... it *is*
    still sheep manure. You call this fine dining? Maybe for Senior Citizens
    on Social Security after they swallow yet another record increase in their
    Medicare Premiums... (the latest trillion dollar government givaway... to
    the dog food industry).

    | > We haven't seen much of you these days, so I guess maybe you been busy?
    |
    | A buddy boughta shoal draft keeled sail boat(sloop), 1st one for him.
    | Launch ramp in great, but has a shallow launch slope (2%+\-)
    | I can see water in his PU bed when it "just" floats off ...
    | padded 'bunks', no rollers.
    | Been mentoring in the art of sailing.
    | Gotta wait till Oct for wind enuf to flatten it. :)
    | And 'Yah', we plugged up both his 'meatball' breathers(4x4),
    | no sucking cold water.

    Well... at least it's been outdoors that you been busy. Wouldn't want to
    see you continue to be confined to "The Pit".

    | Qed.

    Be well. Make certain your vaccinations are up to date.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Sep 6, 2004
  11. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    GTD,
    Good point - I hadn't thought of that! Hmmm. I just checked the
    voltage coming out of the surge protector, and it's a solid 120.5VAC. I
    guess that's a good thing....

    Mike L.

    Mike L, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Mike L

    Jef Norton Guest

    Hi Mike -

    Good luck with it. $29 special doesn't bode well for a system that wants
    clean and stable power. This is one item you don't want to go on the cheap.
    Suggested brands are Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, PC Power & Cooling (expect to
    pay big bux on PC P&C). Steer clear of no-name and generic PSU's. I'm sure
    others can jump in with additional suggestions on this.

    Also, be certain to add a significant amount of "headroom" to the final
    number from the link above. You'll need the headroom for the surge of power
    needed to bring everything to life when you first boot the system. I use
    the calculator as a base and then add 50% to the total. And don't forget
    that your NF7-M has a number of on-board peripherals to add into the
    equation: Video, Audio, NIC. Also... don't forget to add in the power
    requirements for system fans, USB devices that don't have external "wall
    warts" (mice, keyboard, hub, many scanners, etc.), and anything else you may
    wish to add in the future... such as add-on video.

    Jef

    | Jef,
    | I only have this PSU - it came with the case, which was a $29 special.
    | Thanks for the link; I'll start looking at PSUs with "more power"....
    |
    | Mike L.
    |
    | | > Hi Mike -
    | >
    | > Have you another PSU to test with? NF7 boards are very fussy about
    power
    | > and generally require a good quality, name-brand PSU rated at least 400
    | > watts.
    | >
    | > I sized the PSU on my NF7-M (with a XP2700+ processor, a gig of memory,
    | two
    | > hard drives, a CDRW/DVD combo-drive and an add-on modem card) at
    | > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    | >
    | > I determined that an Antec TruePower 430 with the following ratings was
    | what
    | > my system needed:
    | >
    | > Total Max Output 430 watts
    | > +5V, +12V & +3.3V Max Output 410 watts
    | >
    | > +5V 36 amps
    | > +12V 20 amps
    | > +3.3V 28 amps
    | > -5V .5 amps (not really important)
    | > -12V 1.0 amps (not really important)
    | > +5VSB 2.0 amps
    | >
    | > A 300 watt PSU, even on a basic system such as the one you're putting
    | > together, is probably on the light side. Also, the maximum rating is
    just
    | > that - it's not a continuous rating. And if it's a cheap no-name or
    | generic
    | > PSU, it's probably not going to give you the stable power that the
    system
    | > requires.
    | >
    | > Case in point, I replaced a so-called 450 watt generic PSU that came
    with
    | my
    | > case with my Antec TruePower 430 as it wouldn't even start the POST
    | process.
    | > I replaced the PSU and it roared to life.
    | >
    | > Jef

    | > | I am getting constant BSODs, and I'm hoping someone here can clue
    me
    | in
    | > | on what I'm doing wrong. The players are:
    | > |
    | > | NF7-M momboard
    | > | 256MB of Corsair memory (one VS256MB400 DIMM (PC3200))
    | > | AMD XP 2600+ processor
    | > | Western Digital Caviar 102AA 10GB hard drive
    | > | Windows 2000 Server Evaluation Copy (build 2195) w/Service
    | Pack
    | > | 4
    | > |
    | > | I have no cards in any slots (I'm using the on-board video), and
    I'm
    | > | using default values for everything. I'm not overclocking. The power
    | > | supply is rated at 300W max. I only have the one DIMM (nothing to
    swap
    | > | with).
    | > | BSODs have included:
    | > |
    | > | Stop: 0x0000000A [various addresses] IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    | > | (this references ntoskrnl.exe)
    | > |
    | > | Stop: 0x0000001E [various addresses]
    | > KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    | > | (this references nv4_disp.dll)
    | > |
    | > | Stop: 0x0000004E [various addresses] PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (no
    | > | reference for this)
    | > |
    | > | Stop: 0x00000050 [various addresses]
    | > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    | > | (this references nv4_disp.dll)
    | > |
    | > | If you need more detail about the Stops, I have all the
    information.
    | > | have tried:
    | > | * Reloading the O/S from scratch.
    | > | * Reloading the nv4_disp.dll.
    | > | * Measured voltages out of the power supply; it smells
    | > bit
    | > | cooked, but the voltages looked okay (as long as 11.8V isn't out of
    | > | tolerance for the 12v lines).
    | > | * Reseating the memory.
    | > | * Updating the BIOS.
    | > | * Raising the voltage for the memory.
    | > | * Changing the Memory Timings.
    | > | * Changing the CAS Latency.
    | > | * All fans work (one on the XP 2600+, one on the
    nForce2
    | > | Ultra 400 chip, one in the power supply).
    | > |
    | > | The next tool I use on this is going to be a hammer. Anybody have
    | any
    | > | ideas? I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something simple
    | here.
    | > | Thanks in advance for your help.
    | > |
    | > | Mike L.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Jef Norton, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Mike L

    ICee Guest

    Possibilities: driver problem, bad/flaky memory, as mentioned, power
    supply.
    Have you tested memory? www.memtest86.com
    This link may help also. If you look at the left of the page, there are
    links to nearly all the errors you are getting.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp
    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?V28825DB7

    ICee, Sep 6, 2004
  14. Mike L

    Leon Rowell Guest

    Sounds like the other posters have some good suggestions on this.
    Another thing you could check since it is a new build is that there
    are no extra MB standoffs with no matching screw holes, that might be
    shorting out on the back of the MB. Usually this will cause shutdown
    or reboot instead of what you are seeing though.
    Don't give up yet. I'd hate to see you get thrown in the slammer for
    littering.... :^)

    Leon

    Leon Rowell, Sep 6, 2004
  15. sounds very much like bad memory to me.
    if you have [or can borrow] any dimms compatible with this board, try
    them/it.
    i know corsair is a premium brand but they have problems too. the first time
    i bought corsair ram, both sticks were doa.
    as a long shot, since you're using an 'evaluation version' os, check the
    forums on that before replacing hardware.
    logically, 300 watts should be more than ample for your setup, even a cheap
    psu; bsods usually mean a driver problem but in this case different errors
    are displayed. the gfx driver, however, is referenced more than once,
    though - replacing whichever drivers you are using with the latest whql
    certified ones may help if the problem lies here.
    the options i suggest are quick & easy to execute, for peace-of-mind sake,
    but i definitely suspect the ram.
    dr ratt

    POP_Server=pop.freeuk.net, Sep 7, 2004
  16. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Leon,
    I'll double-check the underside of the board; I was extra-careful about
    that when I slap-dashed this thing together, though. Think I could get
    anymore dashes in a sentence (bwahaha!!)? At any rate, I'll sneak a peek
    underneath just incase I did yet another stupid human trick.

    Mike L.

    Mike L, Sep 8, 2004
  17. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Dr. Ratt,
    I'm thinking of plopping down the cash for another 256MB stick, but I'm
    a bit hesitant to do so with Corsair again, especially if that's the
    problem. Not that I think they make bad mem, but what if the replacement
    has the same issue? Who makes good PC-3200 RAM for the NF7-M? I've also
    been looking at replacing the psu because it occurred to me that I shouldn't
    be smelling anything from it this late in the game (or at all, actually).
    Maybe an *older* .dll would work, as the most recent downloadable .dll has
    been tried without success. Thanks, again.

    Mike L.

    Mike L, Sep 8, 2004
  18. Mike L

    GTD Guest

    It sounds good, but I believe there's something like line noise that
    could still mess you up and wouldn't show up on a voltmeter. Maybe
    someone here with a bit more knowledge can elaborate.

    GTD, Sep 8, 2004