BSOD

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    If you don't want to read this somewhat long post, here's a question you can
    answer (but does not solve the answer which is in the rest of the post): Can
    you provide me with a document or website or something that has a lookup
    table, so I can reference the hexidecimal numbers in the STOP message on a
    BSOD screen to an actual error message in english?

    If you are willing to help me with my problem:

    Yes, I'm reposting this message. I've isolated the problem, I think, but I
    need verification (or other ideas).

    I've been getting this BSOD message for months (granted, only about once a
    month, but I'm getting it nonetheless):

    *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80515F86, 0xF9E84C0C, 0xF9E8490C)

    No error message (like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) accompanies the message.
    Recommendation says to check hardware, hardware drivers, and software
    drivers (like firewalls, etc.).

    I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
    standby (after 15 minutes) when I overclocked my system from 2.4GHz to
    2.95GHz. If I told it to go to standby (start->turn off->standby) it would
    turn on fine, but automatic standby didn't work as well. I have now
    de-overclocked the system (all settings back to normal) and I'm still
    getting this problem. As I had overclocked it the second day I got my
    motherboard, I don't know if overclocking caused the problem or if it had
    existed prior to overclocking.

    I believe I may have isolated the problem. I have been noticing lately that
    after an automatic standby, sometimes my system will turn on but the monitor
    will not turn on (the LED remains yellow, indicating no signal). I would
    then have to restart my computer (reset button) to get it to work again.
    Therefore, I believe that the video card or its driver may be causing the
    problem. Do you agree?

    I tried to enter the STOP message into the knowledge base
    (support.microsoft.com) to see if they had my error message (or something
    vaguely similar). While there are many STOP 0x0000007E messages, none of
    them apply to me or apply enough to me for me to care. I checked any that
    said STOP 0x0000007E and talked about standby, video cards, or computers
    which stop responding. I did not check any which applied to a specific
    computer (like ones that said "Dell XPS B533R Computer Stops Responding....)
    or ones that didn't apply to Windows XP. Any other ideas on what to search?
    I believe that there's a website that actually gives you like a lookup table
    to find out what the error really meant, but I couldn't find it.

    Finally, I went to Windows Update (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) to see if I
    could pull up a new device driver. There was one, for my video card
    (coincidence?). I installed it, but I'll have to wait until the next time my
    computer goes into standby to find out if it worked. Does anyone know
    actually what that video card driver fixed?

    Thanks for any help. System specs follow:

    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
    CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
    Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
    Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
    Primary Slave: None
    Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
    Secondary Slave: None
    Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
    LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
    COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
    COM2: None
    AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
    PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :)
    PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
    AGP 8x Port: Empty?
    PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
    PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
    PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
    PCI4: Empty
    PCI5: Empty
    Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
    Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme

    Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire ports,
    but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
    have any hardware which would require them.

    * While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
    Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely few
    lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run MemTest86
    (www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM is
    perfectly functioning.
    ** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to use
    both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks you
    which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
    driver (XP certified).
    ? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
    ? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers.
    Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.

    Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 13, 2003

  2. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    Also using WinXP Home SP1.

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 13, 2003

  3. MiniDisc_2k2

    Lyle Rhodes Guest

    Lyle Rhodes, Jul 13, 2003
  4. MiniDisc_2k2

    Strontium Guest

    -
    MiniDisc_2k2 stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:
    My best results, in this matter, used to be the winblows KB. I'd paste
    the hex number and do a search. Seems they've changed their search
    function, recently, though. Dunno if it works well, anymore for that
    purpose. Still reading your post. May, or may not, reply again.

    Strontium, Jul 13, 2003
  5. MiniDisc_2k2

    Strontium Guest

    Actually, just did a search on the first string, of that error code. Gave
    me some hits. They are very specific, though. A lot of 'when' type
    deals. Do a KB search at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    -

    Strontium, Jul 13, 2003
  6. MiniDisc_2k2

    Sir Pudgie Guest

    I had been getting this message whenever my computer goes into automatic
    Have you tried reinstalling windows now the system is declocked? There is a
    possibility that the first BSOD corrupted a system file that is now giving
    you grief! ;-)

    Sir Pudgie, Jul 13, 2003
  7. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    "Cause: This behavior may occur if you are using a Creative Labs
    SoundBlaster 16 Joystick with a game port. and the Ctljystk.sys, version
    5.1.2501.0, joystick driver included with Windows XP is being used by the
    device.. "

    Don't have it, and my joystick's on USB, not game port.

    "Workaround: 9. Right-click the Creative SoundBlaster Live (Value) device,
    and then click Uninstall."

    Not possible, as I do not have a Creative SoundBlaster card.

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 13, 2003
  8. MiniDisc_2k2

    Strontium Guest

    You're such a sport!

    -

    Strontium, Jul 13, 2003
  9. MiniDisc_2k2

    MiniDisc_2k2 Guest

    Oh, by the way, what browser are you using that lets you customize your
    message to say "MiniDisc_2k2 stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:" instead of
    news:[some wierd number @giganews.com]"?

    Or did you just replace the message each time?

    MiniDisc_2k2, Jul 14, 2003
  10. In MiniDisc_2k2 <> walked into the bar with a grape in each
    nostril and said to the bartender:
    :: Oh, by the way, what browser are you using that lets you customize
    :: your message to say "MiniDisc_2k2 stood up, at show-n-tell, and
    :: said:" instead of the customary "'MiniDisc_2k2 <>
    :: wrote in message news:[some wierd number @giganews.com]"?
    ::
    :: Or did you just replace the message each time?

    That is a freeware program called OE QuoteFix

    --?
    -- Matt

    remove your clothes to email me

    "It is sort of fascinating that you can have 100 percent certainty
    about weapons of mass destruction and zero certainty of about where
    they are." - Hans Blix

    Matt-The-Hoople, Jul 14, 2003