    budget.

    Kind regards,
    george

    George Bozovic, Sep 4, 2004

  2. George Bozovic

    Toy Guest

    "I am on a college student budget"

    violins a playing.................

    toy

    Toy, Sep 4, 2004

  3. George Bozovic

    david.mccall Guest

    Take your violins to Circuit City and buy an ADS USB-2 enclosure for $40
    If your laptop doesn't have USB-2 there is a $100 version of the same thing
    that has both IEEE-1394 and USB-2.

    David

    david.mccall, Sep 4, 2004
  4. George Bozovic

    Adjacent Guest

    If you can accommodate USB 2, Newegg as this enclosure for $29, plus it has
    free shipping (it's a Labor day sale, so if you want it at that price, you'd
    bettter hurry.):

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-314&depa=0

    Here is a link to all of their enclosures:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?DEPA=0

    If you have USB 2, that's what I would go with. I haven't tried firewire,
    but I hear USB 2 is just as fast or faster.

    Also, Newegg ships quickly. The "Free Fedex Saver Shipping" usually arrives
    within two or three days.

    Adjacent, Sep 4, 2004
  5. George Bozovic

    Biz Guest

    I'll buy your drive for $25. Since you are on a college student budget.
    Didnt know college students needed to have dvd burners. Is it mandatory at
    your school?

    Biz, Sep 4, 2004
  6. George Bozovic

    Andrew Guest

    : Hi,
    : I need some advice for a firewire drive enclosure (5.25') to put my
    : EIDE Plextor internal DVD burner (PX-712) so I can use it with my
    : laptop computer. Any suggestions and/or recommended devices are
    : appreciated.

    I think the advice you have been seeing (ignoring the nasty posts) is
    that you will get a USB 2.0 enclosure cheaper than a Firewire one.
    Maybe Firewire is your only choice but if not, consider USB 2.0.

    Too bad you don't have a Fry's near you (presuming you are in Boston)
    - they have an ADS USB 2.0 enclosure for $24.99 (after rebate) this
    weekend, at least in Portland.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Sep 4, 2004
  7. George Bozovic

    J. Clarke Guest

    Cheap backup?

    J. Clarke, Sep 4, 2004
  8. My older "budget" firewire enclosure won't recognize the DVD-burner. It
    recognizes as generic CD-Rom, not a DVD burner, which means I can't get the
    burning software to use the burner. My cheapo USB 2.0 enclosure doesn't have
    this problem.

    Big Brother is Watching You, Sep 4, 2004
  9. George Bozovic

    david.mccall Guest

    I have an older ADS 1394 enclosure that is a pain in the ass,
    but the newer ones (1394 and USB-2) have been very good so far.

    David

    david.mccall, Sep 5, 2004
  10. Ummm, I have that enclosure and it stopped working recently (I was trying to
    format a hard drive with bad block checking and it failed in the middle -- I've
    tried it since then with both disks and DVD burners with no luck). I need to
    figure who to bug about warranty after the holiday. In the meantime if cheap is
    what you want, why bother with the enclosure, just get a USB->IDE cord:

    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2IDE-N

    I just got this along with a 3.5->2.5" EIDE converter for when I migrate my
    laptop to a larger disk. If you don't have USB 2 on your laptop, I saw
    compgeeks also has:

    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2PU2PCCARD&cat=CCD

    Michael Meissner, Sep 5, 2004
  11. George Bozovic

    Donald Link Guest

    Try Ebay. I usually find what I want and you can usually see the
    different options. I have found and would not pay over $40 for a
    encllosure that have both USB 2.0 and Firewire.

    I found this supplier had external enclosure cheaper than ebay!
    The service and shipping times were outstanding. I even sent a money
    order in for the order so I did not have to use the credit card route!

    Thank you for shopping at PCMicroStore

    Your order will be processed immediately. In-stock items generally
    ship the same or next business day.
    You may check the status of your order, including shipment tracking
    number in the account section on our site. http://www.pcmicrostore.com

    (note this price for 3 units)
    ETA Price Total
    WELLAND 3.5" & 5.25" IDE TO USB 2.0 / FIREWIRE IEEE 1394 EXTERNAL
    ENCLOSURE (ME-320U2F) 3 Yes 36 $34.00 $102.00
    Subtotal: $102.00

    Shipping: FedEx Ground $11.21

    Insurance: $0.50

    Overall: $113.71

    I have read and agree with the terms and conditions of this website.
    This section includes the Warranty and the Terms & Conditions pages.

    © 2002-2003 PCMicroStore.com, All rights reserved.

    Donald Link, Sep 5, 2004
  12. I have bought a couple of such enclosures from www.dealsonic.com -- I
    have only used the 1394 ports for DVD burners, so I cannot offer
    advice on how well the USB 2.0 stuff works for burning DVDs (a few
    other folks have commented about problems with ADS enclosures, and
    these may have the same problem.

    The two I bought were the Bytecc 5 1/4" Combo firewire and USB 2 case
    (has an internal power supply, so you don't have a kludgey lump to
    find a place for on the desk) and a Plumax one that did have an
    external lump power supply (the current one on their web site appears
    to have an internal P/S now just liek the Bytecc, though). And goes
    for just $33 with $6 shipping.

    --Charles

    Charles Marslett, Sep 6, 2004