    just looking for the best performing budget card($60).

    Hope you guys can help me out!
    thanks

    Sijo K., Jul 21, 2004

  2. Hi,
    We have a great card for your application at
    http://www.siliconalleycomputers.com/32mbvideocard.html . It is the
    Jaton Video 118PCI-32DDR SDRAM PCI GF2 MX400 video card. It is only
    $39.99 + $10 for ground shipping. We only charge sales tax to
    residents of CA, MA, and NY.

    Silicon Alley Computers

    Silicon Alley Computers, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Sijo K.

    jamotto Guest

    Depending on what few games you intend to play most of these cards
    should do alright as long as you don't expect too much.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=0

    The list also includes the graphics card mentioned by a previous
    poster but the price is lower.

    I would stick to AGP based cards if your computer supports it and the
    more memory the better, at least for the games.

    jamotto, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Sijo K.

    shoshe Guest

    Depending on what few games you intend to play most of these cards

    get ur self an ATI card . u should get a "0Radeon 9200" 128MB card for
    like 50$ max ... it will alow u to play all the current games ...
    tough NOt an UPTO DATE card .. a bit Medium level ...

    shoshe, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Hi,
    You could get by on a 16MB video card if you weren't playing
    games that call for more. Actually, you can expect plenty from the
    32MB video card. Especially since it is DDR. Also, a PCI card is
    perfectly capable of providing the graphics for any typical home or
    office machine. The AGP slot is faster in response time but the cards
    also cost more. NVidia vs. ATI is negligable. It goes back and forth
    depending on card, memory size, and popularity. Both are quality
    manufacturers of video card chipsets. ATI cards do often cost more
    than NVidia chipset based cards.
    You should consider whether you intend to use the machine for CAD
    work or other graphics intensive software programs. If so, you could
    want more than 32MB DDR. Check any games you might use first and
    consider all other graphics type programs you might be using as well.
    If they say you need 32MB DDR Video RAM, you should go with 64MB DDR,
    or more. You won't likely find a 64MB DDR card for less than $60
    total, though.
    Now, we don't want to fight over a $4 sale but, what's up with
    the link posted by the previous poster? Is that helpful or what? Also,
    didn't you say that you weren't going to be gaming much, if at all?
    Then why did the previous poster emphasize the AGP cards and more
    memory? HMMMMMMM?
    Our price may be higher initially but, how much will you pay in
    tax? Or for other shipping options? Be sure to check this out
    thoroughly at the previous poster's site. You will see that we have
    different policies on such things. Also, if you want to purchase
    something from a company that won't try to shove a bigger, more
    expensive card, AND MORE MEMORY down your throat, and answers your
    questions directly, you know where to go.

    Silicon Alley Computers

    Silicon Alley Computers, Jul 24, 2004
  6. Sijo K.

    jamotto Guest

    Hi,
    Yes, you are correct that link was not very helpful, a mistake on my
    part. A quick search on www.pricewatcher.com for the card that
    Silicon Alley Computers wishes to sell you yielded this.
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2384433/blsrt=1/
    It could be because Sijo K said "I'm just looking for the best
    performing budget card($60)"

    Silicon Alley Computers has already stated that "The AGP slot is
    faster in response time but the cards also cost more." In Short, AGP
    is faster than PCI this is most noticeable with games, but not that
    much with spreadsheets, word processors and the like. This would also
    be a moot point if your computer does not have an AGP slot. If you
    have the motherboard manual then I would check with that.

    As far as the memory issue is concerned since Sijo K did not specify
    any particular game. I was erring on the side of caution. Silicon
    Alley Computers had a good suggestion that read as follows "You
    should consider whether you intend to use the machine for CAD work or
    other graphics intensive software programs. If so, you could want more
    than 32MB DDR. Check any games you might use first and consider all
    other graphics type programs you might be using as well. If they say
    you need 32MB DDR Video RAM, you should go with 64MB DDR, or more."

    Very good suggestions, Sijo K please do check out this information.

    jamotto, Jul 24, 2004