Budget video-card advice requested please.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Andrew Lyall, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Andrew Lyall

    Andrew Lyall Guest

    Hi,

    I'm on a low budget (below £50 for an AGP card if possible) and have had a
    2.53Ghz P4 unit given to me as a gift at Christmas. I'm looking to replace
    the 64Mb MX440 video card. I play Call of Duty 2, Civ IV, Rome Total War,
    FS2004 etc.

    There's 3 cards I've looked at on a website, 2 are Nvidia and one is an ATI
    card. I prefer the Nvidia chipsets, just from having used them before, but
    don't know much about modern-ish ATI cards and don't know if the ATI card
    listed below is faster than the Nvidia ones listed or not.

    If anyone would like to comment, or if you have any other suggestions, I'd
    appreciate your input.

    Nvidia FX5500 chipset 256Mb 128 bit bus:
    http://www.savastore.com/productinf...store&product_id=10283083&pid=207&rstrat=3160

    Nvidia GF 6200a chipset 128Mb 64 bit bus:
    http://www.savastore.com/productinf...store&product_id=10283084&pid=207&rstrat=3160

    ATI 9550 256Mb 128 bit bus card :
    http://www.savastore.com/productinf...e=Savastore&page=productspecification&pid=207

    Thanks very much,

    Andy, UK

    Andrew Lyall, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Andrew Lyall

    Peter Guest

    I had the Fx 5500 64 bit card it was very good for the money.
    6000 series will give more effects but you will be limited by the clock
    speed and slower memory
    dont know about the ati. check www.tomshardware.com

    Peter, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Andrew Lyall

    PG Guest

    I agree the FX5500 is a good choice for workable yet budget vid card. I
    have the FX 5500 in both my systems and it suits my modest gaming needs.

    It is DirectX 9.0c compliant and you can get 256MB versions for pretty
    cheap these days if you shop around.

    Good luck.

    PG, Jan 13, 2006
  4. Andrew Lyall

    JonMaC Guest

    none of them - seriously - have much power for COD 2. Either save more
    (100) for 6800GS / 6600GT / RX800.
    If budget tight scour try retdirect.co.uk i think it is - cheap 9700 &
    9800 - seems to have good reviews on her by others.

    HTH JonMaC

    JonMaC, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Andrew Lyall

    pjp Guest

    Why do you say that about COD2? I run it at 1024x768 with everything turnd
    up full on a 2.8Gz, 1024Ram using a TI4800 without any hiccups etc..

    pjp, Jan 17, 2006