Building a new computer help and Sapphire Radeon 9700 Ultimate Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mike, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi guys,
    I have two questions.
    I plan on building a new computer and using the Sapphire Radeon 9700
    Ultimate Pro as a graphics card, but I would probably get it OEM. It
    would come with the card only, so how would I know what cables and
    things I need to get it working? The website selling it doesn't say
    anything about it.
    The computer I'm planning on building would have the following specs

    Aspire X-Alien Turbo Aluminum case
    DFI Lan Party NFII Ultra Motherboard
    Athlon XP 3000 Barton 400fsb CPU
    512mb 3200 DDR
    Sapphire Radeon 9700 Ultimate Pro
    Thermaltake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition

    Will this computer run the latest games at good speeds? Will it be
    obsolete in a year? I'm on a rather tight budget so will be picking
    up the pieces as I get the money. I've never done this before.
    Thanks a lot for your time!

    Sincerely,
    Mike

    Mike, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Mike

    jamotto Guest

    looks like a good computer. You might check out a Radeon 9800 Pro
    it's faster and provides DX9 compatibility and AGP 8X. You might also
    go with 2x512MB 2700 DDR and use the dual channel memory option could
    be faster than a single DDR 3200. To save on money you could try
    buying an XP 2500+ and overclocking it to XP 3000+ speeds. As long as
    you use a good heatsink(Thermaltake is good) and a good powersupply.

    jamotto, Dec 17, 2003