    next PC an ASUS one. Any reccomendation??? I dont mind being behind the
    power curve and save a little bit.......

    Thanks

    Amolao, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Amolao

    Paul Guest

    There are a whole bunch of 875/865 boards to choose from.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040712/i865-i875-mobos-01.html

    If your son is planning on overclocking, then you should have
    a look at this article. I bought a P4C800-E after reading this:

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

    Another board you could consider, is the Asus P5P800. It would be
    minus Firewire and minus the Promise 20378 RAID controller, but it
    accepts the newer LGA775 processor. It is about $20 cheaper for
    the motherboard. Uses DDR memory, AGP card.

    Retail 3.2C Northwood S478 $274 (has heatsink/fan)
    OEM 3.0C Northwood S478 $197 (need heatsink/fan)
    OEM 2.8C Northwood S478 $189 (need heatsink/fan)
    Retail 3.0E Prescott S478 $178 (has heatsink/fan)
    Retail 3.2E Prescott S478 $215 (has heatsink/fan)

    P4 520 2.8Ghz Prescott LGA775 $159 (retail - has heatsink/fan)
    P4 540J 3.2Ghz Prescott LGA775 $224 (retail - has heatsink/fan)

    Of the Prescotts, the 540J will run the coolest at idle.
    But the Northwoods do a little better in that regard.
    (Retail packaged processors come with a heatsink/fan, while
    OEM have just the processor chip in a plastic tray.)

    I guess what you choose, might depend on whether a warm computer
    bothers you or not. If the install is in a location without
    air conditioning, the room might end up getting a bit warmer
    with the new computer. The P4P800-E plus a 2.8C would make
    a nice solution. The P5P800 plus a 540J (3.2Ghz) would be
    in the same ballpark pricewise, and you get a bit higher clock
    speed, and the room gets a bit warmer. (Warm computers bother
    me, and after reviewing the numbers, I would still have to
    choose the P4P800-E and a Northwood.)

    You will need a power supply with at least a [email protected] output
    rating. P4 systems have a 2x2 square power connector for the
    12V power that feeds the Vcore regulator for the processor.
    So, a new power supply will be needed, if you are used to
    P2B boards. Newegg has pictures of many products, and you
    can also read the current output ratings. You can also use
    the following site, to get some idea of what size power supply
    is required, or at least get an estimate of how many amps are
    needed on +12V. Usually on power supplies, one rail is loaded
    more heavily than the others, and that is +12V in this case.
    (fill out the entries from top to bottom)

    http://takaman.jp/D/?english

    For either board, the best memory config is dual channel.
    That means buying two identical memory DIMMs. If you had
    planned on a 512MB system, you would buy 2x256MB. For
    a 1GB total system, buy 2x512MB. PC3200 CAS3 memory should
    work fine with the 865 (or 875) Northbridge. Only buy CAS2
    is you have money to burn, or can find a good deal.
    A good place to get quality RAM is Crucial.com

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4P800-E+Deluxe&submit=Go

    Other things to check - processor type versus BIOS version.
    When the board arrives, look at the paper label on the BIOS
    chip, to see if the BIOS is recent enough to run the processor.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    Also, download the PDF manual for your planned new board, before
    buying it. Look at the BIOS screens, to see what settings are
    available. The two boards above don't have any killer issues
    in the BIOS, but it pays to be forewarned by reading the manual
    first.

    For the case, I would recommend an 80mm fan in the bottom front
    of the case, and an 80mm fan in the top rear of the case. If
    you get a fan adjuster like the Zalman fanmate (or a drive tray
    rheobus), you can adjust the fan speed, to trade off case temp
    versus noise. Some power supplies have fan-only power outputs,
    which can be used to power the fans, but I find they run the
    fans a little too slow.

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Another thing to keep in mind is that the processor on the P4P800 and
    the P5P800 is at the top of the motherboard. If you have a mid tower it
    will probably get too hot as there is no clearance between the CPU and
    the power supply. I had to get a bigger case for my P5P800 to get the
    temperatures to a reasonable level. The case also had a top blow hole
    fan and a side fan to help move the air away from the heat sink.

    Michael W. Ryder, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Amolao

    Amolao Guest

    Thank you guys for the great info, another thing I noticed on the group is
    the bunch of people having problems with the P4P800....:( will it be safe to
    go with this Mobo.?.....I know that any product will fail sometime or
    another but I never seen issues with other classics like the P2B series.....

    thanks

    Amolao, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Amolao

    Malam Guest

    I just completed building a new system based on P4P800-E Deluxe. I
    bought this board to save a couple of bucks, I was recommended the
    P4C800 Deluxe. I am not happy at all with this board - too many
    nagging small problems. To get it working I've spent too much time on
    it already. I won't recommend it.

    Malam, Mar 28, 2005
  6. Amolao

    timmy Guest

    I had the P4P800D and it seemed to work great, until I realized I
    was going through video cards every 3 months...After 6 months it
    wouldn't run nvidia cards and it blew out my ATI card.
    I rma'd it and the replacement board is the P4P800e-deluxe. I'm
    running raid on the promise controler and looking forward to adding
    some sata drives on the intel raid controler. This board has all the
    features you will need, but I just don't know if it will stand the
    test of time. Performance wise, it will be just fine.
    An interesting note here is that I'm on my 3rd year with several
    systems I built based on the 865pe chipset @533mhz(P4PE533). Rock
    stable and good solid performers. Since Asus(intel) added 800mhz to
    this chipset, they definately have had their share of failures, a good
    share do to north bridge heat problems.
    It is a good board, give priority to good airflow with a decent
    case that includes no less than 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan.

    ps: my P3B is still serving...heh...

    ---MAJOR SNIPAGE---

    timmy, Mar 28, 2005