    give good gaming performance? Probably will be matched with an ATI 5770
    vid card.

    Thanks

    Phat_Jethro, Dec 13, 2010

  2. Depends on what you want and how much and how much you want to spend.
    What is "mid-range" to you?
    Mid range to me is about $1200-$1500.
    Personally, I would never buy ATI.
    Read the specs on everything and compare:
    Vid cards, mb, cpu, ram, power supply, etc.
    Make notes.

    Paul in Houston TX, Dec 13, 2010

  3. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128431

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-athlon-ii-x4,2791-2.html

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134792

    http://techreport.com/articles.x/19868

    To the poster who says don't get ATI, I got a geforce 240GT and found
    that I couldn't get the sharpening or dynamic contrast to work in flash
    player 10.1 (in Win 7). Nor could I make profiles for different levels
    of sharpness and choose them by right-clicking a tray icon. Went back to
    ATI, and even the humble 4350 lets me do all that (it doesn't have the
    dynamic contrast, being a very low-end part). The ATI drivers do have
    strange anomalies and you have to test what settings such as brightness
    really do and where (in Win 7, desktop gamma affects the video). If you
    don't mess with brightness and get it all right at the monitor, then
    that's not relevant.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Dec 14, 2010
  4. The problem I had with ATI is that the are made for LCD monitors
    and locked at 60 Hz. I prefer my 19" CRT at home.

    Paul in Houston TX, Dec 14, 2010
  5. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Did you install the catalyst drivers, and a monitor driver from the
    monitor manufacturer? I've got a LCD but can take it to 75. Without
    those drivers, you're using the Windows basic driver.

    Ed Light, Dec 14, 2010
  6. Yes. There are no ATI drivers for CRT's.
    I did much research on the subject. I'm talking
    many hours even to the point of writing and compiling
    my own drivers. (They did not work.)
    IMO, ATI is devious in that they never say anywhere that
    their vid cards are locked at 60 Hz and can only be
    used with LCD's. If you hook your comp to a crt, you will
    see that the higher settings are fake and do not do anything.

    Your LCD monitor runs at 60 Hz "frame rate".
    There is no flicker since the pixels do not fade
    between scans.

    Paul in Houston TX, Dec 14, 2010
  7. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Dec 14, 2010
  8. Got them from HP: hp9500.inf and icm.
    Tried them and generic inf and icm files.
    They did not work. The refresh rate on the ATI
    card cannot be changed. I tried 3rd party overrides
    also, to no effect. I tried editing the inf files, etc.
    I tried RefreshForce. I tried 2 other CRT monitors.
    My son has the same problem with his system and ATI card.
    He does not notice the 60 hz flicker though whereas I can't stand it.

    There is a lot written on the subject. Thousands of hits.
    Seach for
    ati refresh rate locked at 60 hz
    or
    ati refresh rate stuck at 60 hz

    Check here:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=216919

    Emails to ATI/AMD about the problem went unanswered.

    Paul in Houston TX, Dec 14, 2010
  9. Phat_Jethro

    Phat_Jethro Guest

    Thanks Ed

    You kind of confirmed the was I was thinking. I had my eye on the Phenom
    II X4 955 black as well.
    Mother board of GA-770T-USB3... any issues with it having a slightly
    older chipset? I am out of the loop on AMD chipsets so just asking.

    Thx

    Phat_Jethro, Dec 14, 2010
  10. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Not that I know of. You could check out more expensive boards and the
    user reviews of them on newegg.

    Ed Light, Dec 15, 2010
  11. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Dec 15, 2010
  12. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Dec 15, 2010
  13. XP2. Will probably stick with it until there is
    no software left for 32 bit o/s's. :)
    Yea, I know, 6 gig ram and only 3.5 works. :(
    I have a pile of hdd's and have been thinking of
    some sort of linux/unix... When I have time.

    Paul in Houston TX, Dec 15, 2010
  14. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Dec 15, 2010
  15. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Dec 15, 2010
  16. Interesting idea. I don't know the answer though.
    My eyes do pretty good and can tell the difference
    between 60, 72, and 85, but not the actual numbers.

    Paul in Houston TX, Dec 16, 2010
  17. Phat_Jethro

    Monty Guest

    Yes.

    You might find SIW (System Information for Windows) will do what you
    want. http://www.gtopala.com/ Drill down to Video in the Hardware
    section and then to Monitor.

    HTH

    Monty, Dec 16, 2010
  18. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    After what you said, I have to wonder if when I set my LCD to 75, if
    it's really at 60.

    Ed Light, Dec 16, 2010
  19. Everything that I have read says the frame rate of LCD's
    is 60 hz, or 120 hz for newer large 3D screens (60 hz per eye ball)
    and cannot be changed. 240 hz came out recently.

    I just installed the freeware version of Sys Info for Windows
    that Monty suggested. It shows my vid at 85 hz.
    (It looks like a great program, too - Thanks Monty.)

    Paul in Houston TX, Dec 16, 2010
  20. Phat_Jethro

    Ed Light Guest

    Mine can do 75 Hz.

    I've just tried it and it is beautiful. It doesn't know my current
    resolution, though. It lists the vertical frequency as 56-75.

    Ed Light, Dec 17, 2010