Building a Shuttle SN45G/Athlon Based System

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by xyzabc, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. xyzabc

    xyzabc Guest

    I am looking to build a "medium power" Shuttle-based system, mostly for
    general computing (internet and light office and graphics work), Linux
    and hobbiest programming purposes (my own programs are small, but I
    would like some power for compiling some of the larger Linux open source
    projects (e.g., Mozilla with certain options enabled)). I am not much
    of a gamer (only non-free games I own are QII and Q3A). Looking at the
    alternate.de ads in a recent c't Magazine, I priced out the following
    system. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether I would be
    overbuying or underbuying in any particular category, given my objective:

    Shuttle SN45G 249 Eur
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton) Boxed 119 Eur
    Corsair DDR400 1.0 GB RAM (Doublepack Dual Channel) 252 Eur
    Video Card:
    Club3D ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (TV Out, DVI) 159 Eur
    or
    Leadtek A360TD GeForce FX5700 (TV Out, DVI) 159 Eur
    Maxtor 120 GB U-133 IDE 8MB cache/7200 RPM 94 Eur
    Samsung CD-RW+DVD Player 74 Eur
    Floppy 10 Eur

    Total: 947 Eur

    If I drop down to 512 MB RAM (140 Eur) and a Radeon 9200 or GeForce 5200
    (89 Eur) I can get the total down to 775 Eur. I would use a spare CRT
    monitor for now, but would hope later to get a 17" LCD screen with DVI,
    which I guess will cost about 450 Eur.

    Several particular questions:

    1. Does DDR400 memory provide any benefits over DDR333, given that the
    Athlon is 333MHz?

    2. Memory is often designated as "233", "232", "222", etc., with the
    lower-numbered memory being slightly more expensive. I assume this has
    something to do with how the memory uses the clock cycle. What cycle
    would be appropriate for the SN45G and the Athlon mentioned above?

    3. Is the TV-out function of a graphics card "international"? That is,
    will it work for both PAL and NTSC televisions?

    4. Have people generally had good experience with alternate.de?

    Thanks in advance.

    xyzabc, Jan 4, 2004

  2. xyzabc

    Shayne Flint Guest

    Various benchmarks show that the DDR333 will be faster with that Athlon.

    Shayne Flint, Jan 5, 2004

  3. xyzabc

    Mark Guest

    If I drop down to 512 MB RAM (140 Eur) and a Radeon 9200 or GeForce 5200
    512Mb and no graphics card has been fine for me: I don't play games
    either so I've found that assigning 64Mb memory to the onboard
    graphics runs all office apps, video making software and image progs
    like photoshop without any problems.
    Yes, it's configurable in the bios

    HTH Mark

    Mark, Jan 6, 2004
  4. xyzabc

    Vertexsc Guest

    Than you DON"T have an SN45G................this model has NO onboard video.

    Marcel

    Vertexsc, Jan 8, 2004
  5. xyzabc

    Vertexsc Guest

    Why boxed?? The shuttle comes with a heatpipe and cooler, saves you a few
    euro;s

    Marcel

    Vertexsc, Jan 8, 2004
  6. xyzabc

    bad hair Guest

    Why boxed?? The shuttle comes with a heatpipe and cooler, saves you a few
    euro;s[/QUOTE]

    This may have nothing to do with it but...

    One of the suppliers I use said they prefer to sell the boxed product
    due to the longer manufacturer's warranty.

    In my case, we were discussing the Intel product. According to the
    supplier the warranty on the box product was one year but a mere 90 days
    on the oem tray. For this reason the supplier stocks only the box.

    Anyone want to buy a brand new heat sink and fan? ;-)

    hth,

    Mark

    bad hair, Jan 8, 2004
  7. xyzabc

    Richard Guest

    I just bought the components to build a new SN45G system. I wanted the AMD
    2500+ pre week 39 for OC'ding. Here's what I put together with prices:

    + SNG45G barebone (boxed) for $239 with no tax and free shipping
    + Hitachi 180 gig ATA100 7200 rpm HD: $70 after rebates (Fry's had a one day
    sale)
    + Athlon XP 2500+ Week 34 for $128 (which included tax and shipping). This
    could OC to 3000+
    + 1 gig Micron DDR 2700 333 (2 - 512 sticks) for $66.45/stick = $132.90
    (lifetime warranty)
    + No name CDRW that was $10 after rebates from one of the office supply
    (Staples, Office Depot, etc.)
    + Iceberq RAM heat spreaders for both sticks at $4.50 each
    + ATI 9600 Pro 256 for $154 (no shipping or tax)
    + Shuttle Cloth carry bag for $24
    MS XP Pro (full version) for $90

    I used Cooler Master Premium compound on the CPU and then attached the
    I.C.E. system. Send it to my son (who its for) so he can finish the buildout
    (hd format, OS install, drives, etc.). I built him one of the small boxes
    (gBox) 2 years ago using the P4 1.8 and it was a nice box bu this Shuttle is
    light, well laid out and even smaller than the gBox. Looks like it should be
    very nice when finished.

    Richard, Jan 10, 2004
  8. xyzabc

    D R Tester Guest

    Shame you went for PC2700 - should have gone for PC3200 if you want to
    overclock
    Dom

    D R Tester, Jan 10, 2004
  9. xyzabc

    Richard Guest

    I've got 3200 of needed. Thought we would see what the 2700 does first.

    Richard, Jan 11, 2004