Building First Computer...need parts help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David Zokvic, May 25, 2004.

  1. David Zokvic

    David Zokvic Guest

    Ok, I have a budget of $700 to build my first computer. Basically,
    it's a budget gaming computer. The monitor is not included in this
    budget but I listed it anyway though, I've heard it is one of the best
    LCD's for gaming. Is this true? Here is the system that I have
    priced out, and am looking for any help or suggestions you guys may
    have. This is my first time building a computer, so any tips you
    could offer on that would be great too. Also, I have no idea what
    type of case to buy. I obviously need an ATX form, but how many fans
    should it have in it? How many watts does the power supply need to
    be? I'm not planning on overclocking anything, so that isn't an
    issue. Here is the system:

    Case: ???
    Motherboard: SOYO SY-KT600 Dragon Plus
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Retail
    RAM: Mushkin 512MB PC3200 DDR
    Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Hard Drive: Samsung 80GB SP0802N
    CD/DVD: Lite-On Combo SOHC-5232K
    Sound: Onboard 6 Channel
    LAN: Onboard 10/100 Ethernet
    Monitor: Samsung 172X 17" LCD
    Speakers: Creative Inspire T5400 5.1
    Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788
    Mouse: Logitech MX510

    Thanks in advance for your help, and I welcome any suggestions you may
    have!

    -- Dave

    David Zokvic, May 25, 2004

  2. David Zokvic

    Aaron Guest

    Looks good, but I would recommend reading the other thread that
    discusses AMD's 64 processors. It will probably be helpful in the
    future, but also take you above your budget. Just something to
    consider. I would be happy with your system.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 25, 2004

  3. David Zokvic

    jamotto Guest

    You might want to get a different soundcard the on board is not that
    great sound wise. Otherwise I have been happy with this motherboard.

    jamotto, May 25, 2004
  4. David Zokvic

    David Zokvic Guest

    Thanks...does anyone have any case advice for me?

    -- Dave

    David Zokvic, May 27, 2004
  5. David Zokvic

    Aaron Guest

    Get one with a front and rear fan. 120mm fans are quietest, but will
    probably be hard to find a decently priced (<$100) one with 120's or
    places for them. So most people have 80mm fans, a little noisier but
    equal performance. If you want a really neato case for $70+shipping,
    get the MGE clear case they have on newegg.com. I just ordered it,
    but doesn't come with PS or fans. But looks super cool.

    If you really want cheapness, go for a cheap case with no PS, and then
    by a good PS to go with it. If you get cheap case with PS, you will
    get cheap PS. (Unless you are very careful.) I've heard about Antec
    and Sparklepower being good PS makers, Antec I know also makes cases.
    You probably only need a 300-350 watt PS, unless you are running more
    than 5 billion drives. For instance, here is my situation:

    PII 233MHz, OCed to 300MHz Keeping in mind that your Athlon 2800?
    won't draw more than 100 watt than my PII, probably only 50 more
    watts.

    2 optical, and two harddisk.

    Soundcard, dual video, wireless network card

    All on a 200W PS. Stable and everthing. So 500+ watt PS is waste,
    unless you have RAID 5 with 4 or more harddisks and a dual Xeon
    motherboard. Which would be very awesome, as a matter of fact. But
    expensive.

    I also remember a review of cases at extremetech.com. You might have
    to dig a little, or I'll just not be lazy and give you the address:

    Can't wait till I get my clear case!!!

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 28, 2004