    and the other computers have floppies. Anyone see a reason why I should
    include one? Thanks.
    -- Scott

    Scott, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Scott

    Roy Coorne Guest

    Dr Teeth a écrit:
    .................................................without floppy DD:)

    I use my floppy DD often for Maxtor PowerMax, IBM DFT, memtest... and
    even with the good ol' W98 boot disk!

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Scott

    Egil Solberg Guest

    I second the 2 above.

    Additionally I can tell this:

    My friend insists on not having a need for floppy and he hasn´t got one
    installed.
    I happen to own a spare one which I keep in my desk. My friend there and
    others have to bite the apple from time to time to borrow it.
    You need a floppy.

    The stupidest thing I´ve heard of are those Abit mobos without serial and
    PS2. What do people do if they need to access their DSL modem via management
    cable?
    And a normal external 56K modem cannot be used without serial.

    Best to have it all installed. Costs next to nothing.

    Egil Solberg, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Scott

    Big Daddy Guest

    Failsafe BIOS upgrades...

    Big Daddy, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Scott

    Big Daddy Guest

    Failsafe BIOS upgrades...

    Big Daddy, Jul 20, 2003
  6. Dr Teeth:

    No True. there are Floppy controller based tape drives. good only for Win9x/ME
    however but its worth noting.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jul 20, 2003
  7. Scott

    Matt Guest

    It's possible to build a PC without a floppy that is internal. Most
    motherboards today support USB floppy. Thats what I use. I got Teac USB
    floppy. As for PS/2 keyboard and mouse - these are all emulated through the
    USB ports. You no longer need PS/2 ports. And you don't need serial ports
    either as USB takes care of that. There are USB drivers for DOS that let you
    take advantage of a mouse and keyboard or other USB devices. I try to avoid
    DOS as much as possible. Crossing my fingers I haven't used it in the last 6
    months. The onlything I need DOS is for Symantec Ghost 2003 which by the way
    supports USB and firewire now. Do I use a PS/2 keyboard, mouse or serial
    devices anymore? NOPE! All gone. Never had a problem. Although I keep my
    USB floppy around in a bag somewhere. And it works just like an internal
    floppy to boot! My .02

    Matt

    Matt, Jul 20, 2003
  8. Scott

    Matt Guest

    BTW. For a true USB solution - use a flash card reader and boot from it!
    Thats what I do most of the time. The 1.44MB size of a floppy is not
    important when booting with a CompactFlash card. As a matter of fact my boot
    CF card is 256MB! Do you need a floppy nowadays? No.

    Matt, Jul 20, 2003
  9. Scott

    Jeff Labute Guest

    yeah..generally, you don't need a floppy... but, you'd probably feel better
    having one..just in case
    you need to boot off one, or make a floppy with something on it for someone
    else... if you stay in your
    own world..then, not much need for a floppy drive... so long as you have an
    alternative boot device to
    your hard disk.

    jeff

    Jeff Labute, Jul 20, 2003
  10. Scott

    RMS Guest

    I agree with the "don't need". On my own computers I have barely used a
    floppy in a couple of years. I do all BIOS flashes from the HD in safe mode.
    Frankly, my favourite device for replacing the floppy is the USB thumb
    drive. If you have a recent BIOS, you can boot from any USB mini drive as
    well. Now that they are so cheap everybody should have one.

    64-128MB for around 35-45 dollars CAN...
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/storage.html#usb
    64MB for $14.99 US, the same as a floppy!
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=900

    Same price, way faster, can hold 50x the data and the drive is portable. Now
    that's a good argument :)

    bye, Rick

    RMS, Jul 21, 2003
  11. Scott

    R_Supp Guest

    There are quite a few reasons that pop into my mind to have a floppy drive
    installed, however, the choice is yours.
    If you can afford the $15 put one in.

    R_Supp, Jul 21, 2003
  12. Scott

    jaeger Guest

    I haven't used one in almost 4 years, there is nothing you need it for.

    jaeger, Jul 21, 2003
  13. Scott

    jaeger Guest

    That was a great idea, shedding useless and archaic ports. A shame they
    abandoned it.

    jaeger, Jul 21, 2003
  14. Scott

    Snickers Guest

    Wrong. There are situations where you might need it. I still have to
    use mine occasionally.

    Snickers, Jul 21, 2003
  15. Scott

    jaeger Guest

    Name one.

    jaeger, Jul 21, 2003
  16. Scott

    Jesse Guest

    Adding 3rd party hard disk drivers or raid drivers during setup
    System recovery using partition magic, nortons, others.

    Jesse, Jul 21, 2003
  17. Scott

    jaeger Guest

    You can add the drivers to a custom WinXP CD. In fact, this is the
    smart way to do it since you can add all your drivers, plus you can set
    the switches so that you don't have to babysit the install.
    Partition Magic will recover from the install CD. Ghost is crap unless
    you do enterprise deployment, but the image disc itself is bootable.

    jaeger, Jul 21, 2003
  18. Scott

    Doug Ramage Guest

    I have PM, Drive Image, Ghost etc on a bootable cd-rom.

    But I have a client who sends me her a/cs and payroll on a floppy disk. :(

    Doug Ramage, Jul 21, 2003
  19. Scott

    NoRemorse Guest

    <sarcasm>Yes, you did.</sarcasm> Did I say he was building a laptop? I was
    citing an example for a situation in which a floppy drive is useful. It's a
    good fallback low-tech solution for certain data transfer situations.

    NoRemorse, Jul 21, 2003
  20. Scott

    jaeger Guest

    Laptops are different, and not really relevant here. For a laptop that
    interfaces with a variety of systems then yes, possibly, a floppy is
    useful. But not on a desktop.

    jaeger, Jul 21, 2003