Building RAID-0 on PowerEdge 2650 PERC

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jwaynejones, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. jwaynejones

    jwaynejones Guest

    Hello,

    I am hoping to get some input on a project I am working on. We have a
    Dell PowerEdge 2650 With two seagate cheetah 36.7 GB drives and a PERC
    RAID controller; this is our exchange server and is running windows
    2000 AS. We had to break our mirror a few years back to cope with a
    storage issue. Now that things are settled and the budget is better, we
    are looking at re-installing our RAID-1. However, we need to do this
    with zero data loss. I have purchased three more drives, and am
    evaluating several options:

    1.) RAID-1, same partitions. This seems to be the simplest way, to just
    image the drives, setup a mirror, and re-image the drives. question is
    though, will it work? will the OS allow us to just setup a RAID-1 and
    re-image and work?

    2.)RAID-5. Have never setup a RAID-5 mirror before, so I am near
    clueless on this, minus the reading I have been doing over the past
    week.

    3.)RAID-1, dual partitions. Basically the same thing as option #1, but
    would require a re-install of everything. Would be setup to use one
    RAID-1 mirror for the OS, exchange binaries, and logfiles. another
    RAID-1 mirror would provide for the data stores.
    RAID-5 but not -1?
    Mainly, what can I do to keep from having to completely re-build the OS
    and Exchange systems, as we have a large account base, and some rather
    complex forwarding setup.

    Thanks much

    jwaynejones, Jan 11, 2006

  2. jwaynejones

    Joel Guest

    I think option 1 is the easiest to do. If I remember correctly we did
    use ghost to image drive 0 to drive 1 then ran the raid driver. I would
    wait for other answers to make sure.

    Joel, Jan 11, 2006

  3. jwaynejones

    Fixer Guest

    Yuo could always phone dell and ask because certainly in the UK so probably
    world wide its free Tech support for life.

    Fixer, Jan 12, 2006