Burning Smell!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrwi, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. jrwi

    jrwi Guest

    During a frustrating PC build, I got a replacement mobo as the first
    appeared duff (well, something was duff, chanced it was the mobo as I
    didn't have any spares of anything else!).

    I fitted the new board and the heatsink fan threw sparks and stopped. I
    got a new heatsink, but everthing was dead - no power. I checked
    everything I could (power-lead, fuses, wall socket etc) and finding
    these OK, swapped the PSU. Still no dice, so I swapped in the old mobo
    and everything fired up, but, and here's the problem, all of the fans
    run for a few seconds and then stop, and I get a very strong smell of
    burning (think scalectrix). I then quickly turn the power off!

    So, the second motherboard is fried (I assume), but now I'm getting
    problems with the original (which was swapped simply because I wasn't
    getting passed POST, not anything to do with power/burning), with a new
    PSU and new heatsink. There's nothing else plugged in, no drives, no
    memory even, only heatsink/CPU and one case-fan.

    What's going on? Could the CPU be causing this, the case?

    I'll paste the spec below, but if there's insufficient info above, tell
    me exactly what you need to know and I'll get it back to you!

    Many thanks for whatever you can offer,

    jrwi.

    * Case: Scan 3XS '2010' ATX Midi Tower 400W (new PSU is a generic ATX
    400w from Dabs).
    * CPU: AMD *OEM* Athlon XP 2600+ *333 FSB*
    * heatsink: Akasa AK-827 (OMG, this was hard to fit to this mobo..!)
    * Mobo (both of them): MSI KM4M-V VIA KM400
    * RAM: 512Mb PC2700 (PC333) DDR Memory (though not seated at the moment)

    jrwi, Mar 6, 2005

  2. jrwi

    Arktic Wolf Guest

    The only thing I can think of is maybe that generic PSUs can be fairly
    dodgy. Most of them don't supply anywhere near the rated Wattage, and
    possibly could've damaged hardware. Try components, like the CPU in
    another machine for some diagnostics.

    Hope this helps.

    Arktic Wolf, Jun 29, 2005