Bus speeds and CPU Speeds

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Peter Mount, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. Peter Mount

    Peter Mount Guest

    Hi

    I'm trying to get a handle on the difference between 400 Mhz front side
    bus and 533 Mhz front side bus. Would there be much of a difference
    between the two for use with either a Celeron or Pentium M? Is there a
    "rule of thumb" as to what bus speed is suitable for different
    processors? I'm looking at possibly getting a notebook in the next 1 or
    2 months.

    I'm a part time IT student and I'm trying to start up an IT business
    using Java so typically I could have about 5 or 6 applications open at
    the same time.

    I've currently got a Pentium 2 - 350 so anything would be an
    improvement, even a Celeron. I suppose, given I'm on a budget of up to
    about $2000 (Australian) for a notebook I should be asking which
    Celerons would give me a big enough performance difference compared to
    my current Desktop Pentium 2-350mhz with 448 Mg of PC100 SDRAM.

    Thanks

    Peter Mount

    Peter Mount, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Well, obviously the 533 is a good 1/3 faster, which is probably
    worthwhile. One of the hidden secrets of PCs lately is that the FSB
    speed is far more important than the CPU clock, now that there's such
    a discrepancy between them. 1/3 higher CPU clock will not get you 1/3
    more performance, though 1/3 faster FSB probably will.

    There's an argument to be made for lots of memory so you don't have to
    use virtual memory, and a high speed (7200RPM) disk drive [or a
    moderate-speed (5400RPM) drive with a large cache], as these are
    important bottlenecks as well.

    No one factor is the only important one in PC configuration, and
    laptops are always a compromise between size/mass, battery life, and
    performance.

    William P. N. Smith, Jun 19, 2005