Buy a Gateway at retail, except some of the worst support in the industry.

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by RMZ, Feb 9, 2007.

  1. RMZ

    RMZ Guest

    What follows is a true story of my interaction with Gateway support,
    based on this experience I will never buy another Gateway product. I
    feel if others knew what they were getting into they may feel the same
    way, so I am posting my experience to inform others.

    I purchased a Gateway MX6453 in early Janauary 2007, less than 30 days
    later one the keyboard keys began having a problem, I got on-line with
    a support rep and at first I was told they would need to secure a $70
    authorization on my credit card and then they would send me the part
    which I could install... I would send the defective keyboard back in a
    prepaid mailer and the $70 would not be charged. I was thinking,
    wow... these guys are great...

    But after taking my credit card information I was told "I'm sorry, the
    part is not replaceable". When I ask them to clarify what this ment I
    was told "... it means that we will not be able to replace your
    keyboard, the computer itself will have to be replaced". I then asked
    if this meant I would loose all my hard drive data and I was told "...
    most likely, you will need to back up everything".

    I then pointed the support rep to this article on gateways own website
    explaining how to change out the part in all MX6000 series notebooks:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Mobile/8511369.pdf

    My system is identical to all photos shown in this document, in fact
    the document referenced above shows up when I drill down into th user
    guides section of my customized support page (built around my model #
    and serial), when I unscrewed and removed the bottom panel as shown in
    this document, I found screws in all the right places and I discovered
    the keyboard in my notebook is in fact (and to no surprise) most
    definitely replaceable. I also found am abundance of MX6000 series
    replacement keyboards on EBay, which again to no surprise look
    identical to the keyboard in my system.

    So the question is why is Gateway forcing retail customers to send in
    their notebooks for repairs, advising the customer they will probably
    be forced to reinstall everything (potentially loose days of work) and
    be forced in a situation without their PC for five to seven days,
    while for on-line customers they simply providing the part and
    catering to the customer....

    To top all of this off, the support rep could not explain any of
    Gateway's policies on this. I requested and got to speak with the
    supervisor, he reviewed the entire chat session and still could not
    provide any help.

    What follows is a complete transcript of the chat session with
    sensitive information edited to protect the support reps and my
    privacy (the reps aren't responsible here, Gateway is). This is a real
    transcript.

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Welcome to Gateway Chat. My name and badge number are Sheila_GXXXXXXX.
    I am looking at your
    account and the information you submitted. I will begin
    troubleshooting with you in just a moment.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Hello

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Ok

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Hi there Jeremy. Before we begin I just have some verifications.<br>

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Ok

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    According to your submission, the serial number for your Gateway
    system is Txxxxxxxxxxxx and the model number of your system is
    MX6453. Is this correct?<br>

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    yes

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Is your current email address?<br>

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    yes

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Thank you for verifying your information. I see some opportunity here
    to enhance your computer experience. Let's resolve the issue first
    and then discuss these options.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    ok

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    I understand that there is a problem on the keyboard, right? Can you
    tell me more about it.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    yes... the left "Shift" key became hard to press today. It still
    works, but I have to press down hard in the center of the key to make
    it take effect. All the others keys on the keyboard work fine. As you
    can see the computer is less than 30 days old.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    I would like to know if the keyboard is designed so that the
    individual keys can be removed and put back on.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    something strange just happend

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    are you still there?

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Yes.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    ok

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Please describe any changes you made around the time the issue
    started.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    no changes

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    I was just in the middle of an e-mail

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    the key feels different, it takes more force to press the left Shift
    key down than any of the other keys

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    that also started today, same time so I know its related.

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Based on the troubleshooting that we have done, we have determined
    that the keyboard will need to be replaced for your computer. <br>

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    I am able to send you the replacement part so that you can install it
    as soon as it arrives, on your own or with the assistance of technical
    support. Included with your replacement part are instructions on how
    to remove the defective part and install the replacement part.<br>

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    In order to send out the replacement part, I will need to preauthorize
    a credit card for $75.00. The $75.00 is only preauthorized and will
    not be charged unless the defective part is not returned within ten
    days of when you receive the replacement part. You will receive a
    prepaid shipping label with your replacement part that should be used
    to return the defective part to us without any cost to you<br>

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    ok

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Are you ready for that card number?

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    To place your replacement order I will need the following: <br>1)
    Street Address<br>2)
    City<br>3) State<br>4) Zip

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    [edited to remove sensitive information]

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Do you need any other information?

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Please continue to wait.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    ok

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Jeremy, I do apologize, but this system the keuboard part is not
    replaceable.

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    With this you will need to send the system to us for service.

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    I can setup a Service Request for you, which will authorize your
    repairs. We will send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send
    the notebook to us. The Shipping label and box will be sent out within
    2-3 business days after the Service Request is issued. When you
    receive the shipping label attach it to the outside of the box. <br>

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Before sending your system in for repairs, please verify that any
    media such as games, music, or your Restore CD have been removed from
    your CDROM, DVD, or CDRW drive plus any third party hardware such as
    added RAM, video cards, etc. <br>

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Please send battery and AC Adapter in with the Notebook. Please do not
    include any other peripheral hardware you may have hooked up to the
    notebook. Please also verify that the Notebook has been packaged for
    safe transit, as you will be responsible for any damaged incurred to
    the system in shipping. Once the Notebook is received at the
    warehouse, it may take up to 7-10 business days for the computer to be
    repaired and sent back. <br>

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    I can't give up the notebook at this time, I use it for business and
    I'm at a critical juncture where I could loose hundreds of dollars for
    each day without my PC.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Why can't gateway just send me a replacement?

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    I can buy a replacement part second-hand and www.gateway.com gives
    instructions on how to change the keyboard

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    This is very upsetting

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    No Jeremy, I can't process the replacement because the part is not
    replaceable.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Can you explain that?

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    How is it not replaceable?

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    I do apologize for the inconvenience this issue has brought you but
    you will need to send the system to us to replace the keyboard.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Ok... I understand you have limited control here. Can you give me the
    name of a supervisor at Gateway support.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    This product is less an 30 days old.... I understand parts break, but
    I can buy the part second hand and replace it myself... it makes no
    sense that gateway can't send me the replacement part..... Especially
    given that you provide instructions on how to replace it. I'm the kind
    of person who will take things like this to the next level on
    principle, can you at least give me an explanation?

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    The name of my supervisor is Joseph_GWXXXXXX.

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    I can transfer you to my supervisor.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    As you can see I'm very serious about this... I don't mind waiting

    Sheila_GXXXXXXX says:
    Jeremy, here's Joseph my Supervisor.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Thanks.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Hello Jeremy! Please allow me a moment to review your chat session.
    Thank you.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Hi Joseph... No problem.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Thank you for waiting, Jeremy. I appreciate your patience.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    thank you for taking the time to talk with me

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    well, you see where I'm at.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    It appears that one of the keys of your keyboard is not functioning
    well.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    No problem, Jeremy.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    That's right and I feel like, since it's practically brand new, I'm
    just a bit upset about

    the way this is being handled

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    I have check our records and unfortunately the keyboard of your
    notebook is not replaceable.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    can you explain what that means

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    The only way to replace it is to send in your notebook to our service
    facility.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    According to the gateway website it is replacable.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Instructions for replacement the keyboard on the Gateway MX6000 series
    keyboard is posted on-line

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    The part (keyboard) is available on ebay and other on-line etailers.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    We cannot possibly arrange a replacement for your keyboard according
    to your system information.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Can you provide me that link please?

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Yes... hold on just a moment

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Thank you.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/MX6000/MX6000.shtml

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    See the Hardware reference guide hyperlink

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    It shows instructions on how to replace the keyboard, all the
    instructions provided and pictures match this notebook in terms of
    placement of screws, etc...

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Thank you. Please let me check my resources again. Please hold.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Again, my notebook is the MX6453

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    I am still verifying your notebook's components, Jeremy. I apologize
    for the wait.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    I don't mind waiting

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Thank you for waiitng, Jeremy.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    Are you telling me that I can not follow the MX6000 keyboard
    replacement instructions posted

    on gateway's website?

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Unfortunately, the keyboard part is not one of the components of your
    notebook that is replaceable.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Therefore, I'm afraid that I cannot process a replacement keyboard for
    your notebook.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    If I send the notebook in for replairs will I loose everything on the
    system?

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration caused by this issue.

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    When you say the part can not be replaced, do you mean the terms of my
    warrenty do not allow it or physically the hardware does not allow
    it...

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Yes Jeremy. Please back up any important information before sending
    your computer to us via Service Request as it is very likely that a
    destructive restore will be ran on the computer while it is at the
    warehouse.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    It is physically the hardware, Jeremy.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Once the system is received at the warehouse, it may take up to 3-5
    business days for the computer to be repaired and sent back.<br>

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    We will send you a pre-paid shipping label so you can send the system
    to us. The Shipping label and box will be sent out within 2-3 business
    days after the Service Request is issued.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    When you receive the shipping label attach it to the outside of the
    box. Before sending your system in for repairs, please verify that any
    media such as games, music, or your Restore CD have been removed from
    your CDROM, DVD or CDRW drive.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    In addition, please do not include any other peripheral hardware you
    may have hooked up to the system.

    Joseph_GWXXXXXX says:
    Is there anything else I can assist you with?

    Jeremy DXXXX says:
    No, thank you.

    RMZ, Feb 9, 2007

  2. They are sure inconsistent, they sent me a replacement keyboard for my 450X
    a couple of years ago, no questions asked. The instructions you describe
    sound exactly like what it took to replace mine. Later when I was having
    video problems and sent it in for service they didn't have me remove any
    software. Of course, it took three trips to service and back before they
    figured out it was the motherboard and replaced it. They never did reformat
    it.

    Have you tried cleaning the keyboard out? It sounds like there might be
    something under that key. Turn it off and take a can of compressed air and
    blow the keyboard out. The reason for my replacement was that I was
    cleaning it with a toothpick and a couple of key tops came off, they went
    back on easily so like a fool I removed a couple more and the little plastic
    tabs on the bottom of one broke so it wouldn't snap back on.

    Joan F \(MI\), Feb 9, 2007

  3. RMZ

    RMZ Guest

    Mundo Corp, the leading supplier of Gateway and eMachine after market
    parts (I use the term "after market" loosely, since these parts are
    presumably from the same Asian suppliers Gateway uses in their
    products)
    http://www.mundocorp.com/

    Has assisted me in confirming the keyboard in my notebook (MX6453) is
    the same keyboard found in all MX6000 series systems. Mundo Corp's
    part labeling is propritary, but they note for all MX6000 series

    "...Gateway part numbers for the keyboard: 103333, 104820, 105222,
    105771, 105836, AEMA2TAU015, AEMA1TAU119, QND1KBZZZUTAL1,
    QND1KBZZZUTAD7, QND1KBZZZUTAE5. There may be other compatible part
    numbers. Part number shipped based on availability.".

    In this statement, Mundo Corp is stating that Gateway uses multiple
    part #'s to represent the same part. What's Mundo Corp's
    creditability? Well, they've been around almost as long as Gateway.
    Gateway themselves uses Mundo Corp sometimes for repairs and even
    refers customers to Mundo Corp for service of products they no longer
    support (see the bottom of this page) http://support.gateway.com/s/faq/
    c-custserv/cserv67.shtml

    Third-party instructions on replacing the keyboard on all Gateway
    MX6400 series notebooks (they have confirmed this includes the MX6453)
    are identical to the MX6000 series and utilize the same photos found
    on gateways site for the MX6000 series keyboard replacement
    procedure).
    http://www.mundocorp.com/kbinstructions/kb_mx6400.html

    It's also known in the industry (but not widely advertised) that the
    non built to order notebooks and PCs (all Gateway's non built-to-order
    retail products) are assembled in Asian factories, while their built-
    to-order PC's are assembled in the US. While I do not feel this
    justifies Gateway Support's ignorance on this issue, it does help to
    explain it. If you read the transcript, you'll see I repeatedly ask
    for an explanation and was never given one.

    It's probable that in this case their support just doesn't have
    information on file about the components compatibility and the support
    reps are stating what they are required to. I find it incredibly
    disturbing that the leading third-party repair service and parts
    supplier for Gateway products would know more than Gateway does about
    their products, but that is exactly what has happened in my case and
    again, Gateway's troubleshooting process for the keyboard replacement,
    according to a support supervisor would likely result in the system
    HDD being restored/wiped back to a fresh Windows install add to that
    five days of inconvenience to their customer.... There may be more to
    the story that Gateway doesn't wish to disclose, but when you break it
    down, we're talking about the same keyboard part they would be
    providing to their on-line customers, but a much different quality of
    service for brick and mortar retail customers.

    Bottom line is this: If you buy a Gateway at Best Buy, CompUSA,
    Circuit City, etc.... It appears you're not going to get the same
    quality of warranty support as if you purchased on-line. This is 100%
    Gateway's fault. Am I the only one who thinks this needs to be
    publicized?

    Had I not solved the problem and had to send the notebook in for
    repairs, I would have been out 5 days of work, I would have had to try
    and negotiate new license keys for very expensive industry specific
    software to run on temporary machine (a machine I would have to go out
    and buy), if I failed to negotiate that I could potentially loose a
    client and thus a $50,000+ contract..... you see whee this is going.
    We're talking Gateway's inability to provide reasonable support for a
    $40 part potentially snowballing into a $70,000+ lawsuit. Granted,
    that did not happen, but the point is it would take very little effort
    on Gateway's part to provide this simple level of support.... and it
    would cost them less and it would greatly benefit their customers (how
    many would prefer to keep their HDD in tact and not have to send off
    their system for a simple keyboard transplant, raise your hands :)

    Shame on you Gateway!

    RMZ, Feb 9, 2007
  4. RMZ

    RMZ Guest

    Just wanted to follow up and Gateway support has no changed their
    tune.... I have no way of knowing if making all of this public helped
    in that cause, but after posting a compliant to Gateway about the
    quality of their support on this I was received this morning and was
    told they could in fact send me the replacement part.

    It's possible this was an honest mistake on their part, since I had to
    get a supervisor involved and the supervisor gave me the same false
    information I don't think it was an honest mistake, but the point is
    now they are willing to cooperate and do the logical thing. As noted,
    I don't even need the keyboard replacement at this point, so this is
    one of those battles on principle and I'm glad Gateway is doing the
    right thing here.

    Also, it's worth noting that my experience with Gateway up until this
    point has been excellent. Their support may have been wrong on this
    initially, but I really appreciated that I was not talking to a
    someone in a foreign country who could barely speak English (as is the
    case with most support these days). I commend them for bringing the
    support back home and for changing course on this incident.

    RMZ, Feb 9, 2007
  5. RMZ

    chicagofan Guest

    I'm sorry you had this experience, but I don't think it had anything to
    do with where you bought it. I think it's the result of the same kind
    of *handbook* service support we get from all large companies' customer
    support services.

    I've had 3 Gateway computers in the last 12 yrs. and never had to call
    them about a failing or defective part, and as annoying as what you've
    been through has been, I am not deterred from buying their products in
    the future. The last one I bought was through Office Depot last year,
    and that's why your message caught my attention. :)

    I've come to expect changes in inventory supplies and communication
    problems from all of them, and unlike you, think it was an honest
    [extremely irritating] mistake.
    bj

    chicagofan, Feb 10, 2007
  6. RMZ

    RMZ Guest

    The last support rep I spoke with stated that they do follow different
    support procedures with Gateway products sold at retail outlets and
    "built-to-order" products sold on-line... The components in both
    products are the same, the only difference in the retail products is
    that they are assembled in Asia, while the buit to order systems are
    built in the US. That doesn't say anything derogatory about the
    quality of the retail products, it just says they originate in
    different locations.

    I see Gateway's failure on this is one of being able to provide their
    support reps with enough information. If you had a problem with your
    keyboard in your (Office Depot ) Gateway last week and needed a
    replacement you would have likely been prompted by their support staff
    to ship your system to them for repairs. I talked with a support rep
    and with a support rep supervisor in my initial contact with them and
    they would not budged on this.

    The very next day, they did offer to send me the part and told me the
    part was replaceable. So I think it was just a matter of someone in
    power to change the support information in their database being around
    to confirm what I was telling them (that the part was replaceable).

    The bottom line is they made good on it and they did so promptly, they
    were never once rude with me.... Since my original post, I have
    changed my mind, I would buy a Gateway product again.

    RMZ, Feb 11, 2007
  7. RMZ

    chicagofan Guest

    Thanks, I did not know this. I wouldn't have bought one off the shelf,
    if I hadn't needed a laptop *immediately*, but this is good to know. :)

    That is what I had imagined... although it didn't lessen the validity of
    your complaint.

    I'm glad to hear this, because I do think Gateway is an honest vendor,
    which suffers the same in-house communications problems most others do.
    bj

    chicagofan, Feb 12, 2007
  8. What makes a thing built to order? When I got my laptop I had a couple of
    changes to the basic configuration, got one stick of 512 RAM instead of two
    258s and got the heavy duty battery, the laptop was shipped from Asia.

    Joan F \(MI\), Feb 12, 2007
  9. RMZ

    RMZ Guest

    My understanding is anything you order on-line from www.gateway.com is
    "built to order", while any Gateway product you pruchase at a retail
    outlet or on-line through a retail outlet (excluding www.gateway.com)
    is non built-to-order.

    For example, if you go www.gateway.com's product page:
    http://www.gateway.com/home/product...index*home*tab_consumer*hm_ptb*hm_ptb_catalog

    You clearly see at the far left an option for "Available at retail".
    These systems have fixed configurations and so Gateway builds them
    offshore. Again, this says nothing negative about the quality of the
    Asian products. It all depends on how well the quality control is
    handled regardless of where they are assembled. In fact, Apple's
    MacBook's are rated #1 in terms of build quality and they 100% of
    MacBook (including MacBook Pro's) are assembled in Asia. The
    difference is Gateway appears to be passing this reduced manufacturing
    cost along to customers (or perhaps they use it as means to absorb the
    markups incurred by selling through retail chains), meanwhile while of
    course Apple is positioned as a high-end brand...

    If I buy another Gateway product I will probably buy at retail. It's
    convenient and at this point I'm convinced you get a quality product.
    The US based support is one of the leading factors with Gateway for
    me. Also, out of all the notebooks available at the retail outlet I
    was at, the HP and Sony models just couldn't compete for the price....
    I also think the aesthetics of Gateway notebooks (and Gateway products
    in general) are 2nd only to Apple notebook products.

    RMZ, Feb 12, 2007
  10. RMZ

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes and no. Yes, built to order to the mail order buyer's specifications,
    within certain limits. No, because what gets sold at retail is also built to
    order, but the order is for a large quantity, all the same specs... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 12, 2007
  11. RMZ

    MissingYes Guest

    I had the just about the same experience with bad tech support. My old
    Gateway Select 1200CS wouldn't start the System Restoration Kit CD-
    ROM. It said "This CD is for use only in a Gateway computer." Here's
    my chat log (I saved it.)

    Dillon_GWPR323 says: Okay. Do you have all the restoration CD that
    came with your system ?
    Dakota Courtois says: Yes.
    Dillon_GWPR323 says: Please follow instructions at this page I will
    send you
    Dillon_GWPR323 sent a link to [http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/
    MICROSOF/7507189/750718996.shtml]
    Dakota Courtois says: My hard drive is 20 GB. The CD won't let me
    install Windows.
    Dillon_GWPR323 says: Just follow the instructions
    Dakota Courtois says: Okay...
    Dakota Courtois says: I have to go now, and try this. (I know I'll be
    back, though.)
    Dillon_GWPR323 says: It was a pleasure working with you. My name and
    badge number are Dillon_GWPR323. Thank you for using Gateway Remote
    Assistance and have a great day.

    The link he sent me to is for systems with an 8 GB hard drive or
    smaller.
    Plus, the CD drops me to a command prompt and won't let me start the
    install.

    I figured out a solution that worked for me; reflash the BIOS with the
    same version. It worked for some odd reason.

    MissingYes, Feb 17, 2007
  12. "This CD is for use only in a Gateway computer."
    That message comes up if you attempt to use the restore CDs in a computer
    with a non Gateway BIOS.
    If somehow the BIOS flash was damaged, that message is expected and it is
    normal that a good BIOS flash will correct it.
    Your solution is not really odd.

    Jupiter Jones, Feb 17, 2007
  13. RMZ

    El Cugino Guest

    Let me tell you some more. I and a friend purchased a Gateway GT5228
    at best buy. I got the extended warranty.. thank goodness. His after
    being 1 week out of warranty had the mother board fail. The mother
    board is a new form btx board. They're not to be had. And the atx
    form board won't fit the tower. So if you have a btx form board and
    it's a socket 939 processor, you're out of luck it that baby fails The
    motherboard is KTBC51G. I quote from and article

    FIC offers Micro BTX board for Socket 939
    by Geoff Gasior - 11:02 am, January 12, 2006

    FIC has produced a Micro BTX motherboard for Socket 939 Athlon 64
    processors. The KTBC51G supports dual-core processors, has PCI Express
    x1 and x16 slots, and appears to use NVIDIA's GeForce 6100/nForce 410
    chipset. Gateway is already using the board in one of its systems,
    although the model in question appears to only be available in Japan.

    BTX has yet to really catch on, but the design does some fundamentally
    good things with air flow and component placement. It will be
    interesting to see what happens to the form factor as Intel shifts its
    focus to performance per watt.

    15 comments — Last comment by IntelMole at 02:55pm on 1/15/2006

    El Cugino, Mar 3, 2007
  14. RMZ

    Ben Myers Guest

    "BTX has yet to really catch on..." Huh? EVERY new Intel board with a
    900-series chipset is a BTX. The 900-series boards have been shipping for
    maybe 18 months. Almost every new Dell desktop is a BTX. Dell may still have
    a few low end systems with ATX to get rid of. When Intel calls the tune with
    chipsets and motherboard form factors, the other motherboard manufacturers fall
    right in.

    Who the hell is Geoff Gasior? I do not think he knows what he is talking
    about... Ben Myers

    <SNIP>

    Ben Myers, Mar 3, 2007
  15. RMZ

    El Cugino Guest

    Ben:

    The purpose of my post was in the thread of support from Gateway when
    the Computer is bought from stores. Yes Intel is moving along with
    the BTX. My problem is gateway and the BTX board for an athlon
    processor. If you use google and search BTX Motherboards and Socket
    939 you won't find one you can buy. I've been to local computer repair
    people and they can't get them. Gateway doesn't sell motherboards
    and won't repair this machine because it's out of Warranty even if
    it's a Gateway. That's my input!!

    The Article talks about the board in question. If they're slow to
    catch on... He must mean AMD... They don't have any motherboards for
    the socket 939 in BTX form either.. I can't find one!!!!!

    vince

    El Cugino, Mar 4, 2007
  16. RMZ

    Ben Myers Guest

    Agree, if you can't get a replacement, it is a big problem. Gateway is like
    any other name brand computer company these days, except maybe a little worse.
    Gateway does not build computers. It does not repair computers. It does not
    stock parts for computers. All of this is farmed out to contract electronics
    manufacturers. In this respect, Gateway is the same as Dell, HP, Lenovo,
    Toshiba, Sony, etc. Gateway is worse because you can't buy the parts from
    them. From Dell you can buy spare parts. From HP, you can buy spares. From
    Lenovo/IBM, you can buy spares.

    As to whether or not Socket 939 BTX boards exist, my Google search turned up
    these two at the top of the list:

    1. MSI Socket-939 Micro-BTX Motherboard with Integrated Graphics

    2. "FIC has produced a Micro BTX motherboard for Socket 939 Athlon 64
    processors. The KTBC51G..." written by the same Geoff Gasior, who does not quite
    know what he is talking about.

    Dell is shipping AMD systems with BTX motherboards, using the same chassis used
    with its Intel BTX systems.

    I will grant you one point, though. Socket 939 BTX boards are not plentiful.
    But sorry, Geoff Gasior is talking out of his ass... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 4, 2007