    with Pentium 4 CPU, 500mb RAM, and 75gb HD) just isn't cutting it any
    more. It's really bogging me down.

    What say you?

    global risk appetite, Feb 21, 2009

  2. global risk appetite

    Ben Myers Guest

    Why not upgrade the memory in your Dimension 4700? With only 512MB, it
    is starved for memory, and probably beats the hard drive to (near-)death
    using the swap file (aka virtual memory). You probably have a pair of
    256MB sticks of memory, so get yourself a pair of 1GB DDR2 DIMMs,
    install them, sit back, relax and notice the difference. The added
    memory will get you through the next six months, at least, and maybe
    even a year, which is more likely when Windows 7 (aka Vista Service Pack
    2 :>) ships... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 21, 2009

  3. Thanks for your reply. So you're suggesting that I buy a pair, you
    mean 2GB's worth? I just checked Dell's parts and it only costs
    $17.99 per 1 GB Module for Dell Dimension 4700 Series System. Now I
    would like to get 2, if I can.

    Do you know how can I check to see if I actually have room for 2 GB?
    Thanks agian.

    i are an english speaker, Feb 21, 2009
  4. global risk appetite

    unknown Guest

    unknown, Feb 21, 2009
  5. global risk appetite

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Crucial is great memory and Newegg is a great vendor.
    Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148163
    $23.99 with free shipping and should work in 4700

    Best Regards,
    Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson, Feb 21, 2009
  6. global risk appetite

    Bob Levine Guest

    What say we means nothing...it's what you need and want that matters.
    First...there's no guarantee about a Win 7 release date but judging by
    the quality and stability of beta, I would guess it would be sooner
    rather than later.

    That said, with quality hardware, the 64 bit version of Vista (there's
    little reason to go with the 32 bit version given the specs you listed)
    is rock solid and performs very well.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Feb 21, 2009
  7. Hi!
    You am? :)
    Software tools are nice if you're not comfortable opening up your
    computer, but they can be wrong. Most Dell cases are very easy to
    open, so I'd say pop it open and look for the memory slots. They will
    be long and black, with arms on the sides. At least one of them will
    have a module standing up in it.

    When you add new memory, you might have to remove some or all of the
    old stuff. Keep it handy for a rainy day, or if you come across
    another computer using the same parts that is also low on memory.

    Upgrading the memory would make for a very cost-effective upgrade at
    the price, and you will probably end up seeing quite a performance
    boost.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Feb 21, 2009
  8. global risk appetite

    Ben Myers Guest

    The 4700 has 4 DIMM sockets. With the 512MB in there already, either as
    1x512MB or 2x256MB, there are at least 2 DIMM sockets to add memory. If
    the system has 1x512MB, either remove the 512MB or pair it up with
    another 512MB, in addition to getting 2x1GB... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 21, 2009
  9. global risk appetite

    BillW50 Guest

    In Bob Levine typed on Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:38:02 -0500:
    [...]
    Hi Bob! You don't worry about the problem of many 32-bit applications of
    not working correctly under 64-bit OS?

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Feb 21, 2009
  10. global risk appetite

    Bob Levine Guest

    Nope. I've only seen very minor annoyances such as no welcome screen in
    Dreamweaver CS3. That's been fixed in CS4.

    Many applications will never be re-written for 64 bit since there's
    really no reason to.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Feb 21, 2009
  11. I just upgraded my Dell computer (Dell Dimension 4700
    with Pentium 4 CPU, 75gb HD) from 500mb to 2.5gb of RAM. I'm very
    pleased with the performance so far.

    Now, since these chips are pretty cheap ($17 each), I'm wondering
    whether it's worth while to get additional 2gb of RAM. Since my PC
    has 4 slots, I can throw out the 2x256mb chips and get 2x1gb chips.
    So, go from 2.5gb to 4gb of RAM.

    Is this a good idea? I remember reading somewhere, I can't remember,
    that it isn't worth while, since the memory won't be recognized. Can
    the computer exploit the maximum memory (4gb in this case) if all 4
    slots are occupied by 1gb RAM chips?

    Thanks again.

    i are an english speaker, Mar 4, 2009
  12. Hello,

    Only 64 bit OSes can fully use 4GB.

    32 bit windows XP will only show 3.2GB - 3.5GB.

    Since RAM is cheap and you can afford it, why not. Many people still buy 4GB
    despite the limitation to use in 32 bit operating systems. With more RAM,
    you can run more programs as well.

    TompangBuddy.Com, Mar 4, 2009
  13. global risk appetite

    Ben Myers Guest

    If you are running a 32-bit operating system, 3GB is the practical
    maximum. You won't see much difference in performance between 2.5GB and
    3GB unless you are someone who likes to have many, many windows open at
    the same time. Stand pat with 2.5GB... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 4, 2009