BUYER BEWARE: Dell Systems may contain "equivalent to new parts and assemblies"

Discussion in 'Dell' started by PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    "Products. Dell continually upgrades and revises its products and service
    offerings to provide Dell customers with new products and service offerings.
    Dell may revise and discontinue products at any time without prior notice to
    customers. Dell will ship products that have the functionality and
    performance of the products ordered, but changes between what is shipped and
    what is described in a specification sheet or catalog are possible. The
    parts and assemblies used in building Dell products are selected from new
    and equivalent-to-new parts and assemblies in accordance with industry
    practices. Spare parts may be new or reconditioned. The quoted Dell SKU
    numbers for Dell-branded hardware products are of the quantity specified by
    Dell and conform in all material respects with the Dell product
    specifications current on the date such products were shipped."

    "equivalent-to-new parts and assemblies in accordance with industry
    practices"?

    Hey Dude! You got an equivalent-to-new Dell computer! Hmmm, never saw that
    commercial.

    It's bad enough they send out refurb garbage on warranty replacements but
    are some of those parts making their way into "new" or accurately
    "equivalent to new" systems? That line seems to give them the go ahead. Is
    that sort of like "pre-owned" aka USED?

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003

  2. If you look closer at the whole page, not just a few lines, you will
    see this refers to remanufactured computers if that is what you
    purchase.
    If you buy new, new is what you get.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 21, 2003

  3. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    I think you need to read a little closer. Go to the following page

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    Be sure to copy the entire URL. >g<

    and under "Purchase Information", click on "Terms and Conditions of Sale".
    You find the following and I believe it is identical to what PC Gladiator
    posted. Possibly, if you were a little more open minded and a little less
    quick to jump, you would have found it yourself.

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  4. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    Oh, yes, just so that you don't get "lost" again. Read paragraph #10
    entitled "Products".

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  5. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Do you have a pointer or a line reference? This came right out of Dell's
    Terms and Conditions of Sale. There is nothing that I can see that says
    those terms apply only to remanufactured systems but I may be missing it.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  6. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Just did a page search for "remanufactured" and "refurb" and got no hits.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  7. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    You didn't miss anything. I found the same paragraph with no problem at all.
    It was linked from the main Dell purchase page for "Home and Home Office".

    I suspect, having witnessed the "jump to Dell's aid at any cost" group for
    some time; he will find some way to spin it, though.

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  8. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Irene;
    You often jump on anyone you think is "jump to Dell's aid at any cost"
    people.
    However you are at least as bad.
    You are so quick to jump and blast anyone that supports Dell.
    You are at least as bad at the other extreme.

    The a paragraph in question states "The parts and assemblies used in
    building Dell products are selected from new and equivalent-to-new
    parts and assemblies in accordance with industry practices."
    Now what does that mean?
    Does it maybe mean never shipped out the door in a computer or
    otherwise?
    What is your "spin" on it?
    Also "Spare parts may be new or reconditioned."
    "Spare" is the operative word here.
    What are spare parts? Parts for warranty work.
    Otherwise replacements for used parts when available.

    You will find similar practices at other computer manufacturers.
    This very discussion has been held on other forums for other computer
    manufacturers.
    Without that phrase, there may as has happened in the past, complaints
    about reconditioned (used) parts for warranty work.
    Find another company that guarantees to use new for warranty work.
    Few if not non existent.

    If you have a problem with this, your problem is not with Dell, your
    problem is with the electronics industry and the governing laws.
    You will get virtually the same at other electronic manufacturers.(not
    just computers)
    Take off you blinders and look in other directions to see a little
    more reality.

    I do fully understand you idea that you see many jump to the aid of
    Dell at all costs.
    With you, Dell is almost pitch black and anything most anyone else
    says is lighter.
    Therefore almost everyone seems to come to the aid of Dell.
    However it is you that is so negative to the extreme.

    Now I guess you will spin this to make me a die hard Dell supporter.
    Such may be your way, but it will not be the whole truth.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 21, 2003
  10. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    This is right out of "Dell's Terms and Conditions of Sale", not their
    warranty statement. A refurb system is clearly marked as such (hopefully).

    So you are stating that Dell, under no circumstances, never, ever uses
    anything other than NEW parts (new is defined as new from the supplier, not
    new from the QA & Testing Dept.) in the systems they sell to people as "new"
    systems?

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  11. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    As I expected "attack and spin".

    Read the paragraph. It says what it says. No more no less.

    All you have to do is go to Dell.com, then Home and Home Office, Purchase
    Information, Terms of Sale, and read it for yourself. No spin, just fact.
    Right out of the Dell web site.

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  12. So you suggest a company has to pull a new item out of the box and
    never check the part through their QA?
    You also suggest that the company can never test their products?
    You really like to twist what is said.

    Furthermore a product may be defined as new if it was shipped but it
    can reasonably be determined the product has never been used by the
    customer.
    I am not sure this is done with Dell, but it is common and accepted
    practice far beyond the computer or even electronics industry.

    Your definition of new that you suggest in the second paragraph of
    your post may reflect your desires but it does not reflect industry
    standards.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 21, 2003
  13. that is my observation as well.
    additionally, i have yet to see her post anything other than these sort of
    useless posts. i think she would feel better if she directed some of her
    energy to doing something worthwhile and positive.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 21, 2003
  14. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    If you have a problem with this, your problem is not with Dell, your
    Yup, couldn't possibly be Dell's fault. It's the "electronics industry"
    whoever that is. Dell owns their own Terms and Conditions and it is THEIR
    document pure and simple.

    And what "governing laws" say a company can sell used parts as "new or the
    equivolent of new"? Got a pointer to that too because I'd like to read it.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  15. I never said "a company can sell used parts as "new or the equivolent
    of new""
    That is what you seem to want me to say.
    I never said it.
    That is your spin.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

    read it.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 21, 2003
  16. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    Then you don't look very carefully. Or more likely, you only read what
    agrees with your predetermined opinion.

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  17. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    You will notice that he did not respond to the posts where I very clearly
    supplied the information on how to find that paragraph himself. >g<
    If he found himself, then he would have to admit to what it contains and I
    doubt that he will do that.

    Irene, Nov 21, 2003
  18. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    So you suggest a company has to pull a new item out of the box and
    You have completely misinterpreted what I posted and why I defined "new". I
    am not twisting your words at all. Those were my words and they were mean't
    to say that new does NOT include a part that has been returned and then sent
    to Q&A and Tested and returned to the parts inventory as "new".
    And just how is this supposed to happen? Does the customer fill out an
    affidavit when they return the system? How many Dell systems could possibly
    be returned without the original tape on the box being breached?
    Ok, so you *don't* know if Dell is doing it or not. Maybe somebody from
    Dell can tell us? Accepted by who? The people who are paying for they
    think are new systems? I think not, at least not knowingly.
    So now not only is the definition of "is" questionable, but the definition
    of "new" has been redefined? So when you go to the car dealers and buy a
    "new" car and it has a few thousand miles on it, you demand to pay them the
    "new" price and not the "used" price? I mean a few thousand miles is not
    much when the vehicle may go a couple thousand.

    Industry deception is more appropriate IMO.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  19. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    He can read????!!!!! You give him way too much credit.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003
  20. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Well what are you saying? You're alluding to industry practices, governing
    laws, and things that aren't stated in the Terms and Conditions.

    I'm looking for something hard and concrete in law or Dell documentation and
    all I can see is Dell's own Terms and Conditions that appear to say they can
    use "equivolent to new" parts. I'm trying to determine exactly what those
    are and where they come from. And are they making their way into "new"
    systems?

    PC Gladiator, Nov 21, 2003