BUYER BEWARE: Dell Tech Support for Home Buyers

Discussion in 'Dell' started by PC Gladiator, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    http://www.statesman.com/business/c...s/saturday/business_f3fb91a6d56421360070.html

    According to the preceding article, Dell's tech support for business buyers
    is being brought back to the U.S. from its outsourcing to India. The
    reason? Poor language skills by Indian tech reps and excessive reliance on
    written scripts.

    From the article

    "It (Dell) can't afford to antagonize its most profitable customers with
    poor support for PCs.".
    "Our corporate customers have come to expect a certain level of expertise,"
    Cotshott said.
    (vice president of Dell's services division)
    Calls from individual customers will still be routed to call centers in
    India.

    The clear implication here is that while Dell can't afford to antagonize
    it's business customers, it has absolutely problem antagonizing it's Home
    Buyers with lower levels of expertise, support and language skills. So if
    you think all those TV commercials about Dell's "award winning technical
    support" still apply or are available to the Home Buyer THINK AGAIN.

    But there does appear to be a workaround to try and get the level of tech
    support you need and deserve. Everybody purchasing PCs from Dell should
    purchase them through the Small Business path. There are service options
    available there that don't exist for Home Buyers. There are also some
    system configuration options that vary from the Home Buyers line that may be
    of benefit to you. You will also be able to select from the OptiPlex line
    of systems which you cannot do through the Home Buyers line.

    So abandon buying Dell PCs through the Home Buyers line if you can. You are
    getting a raw deal in far too many respects.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 22, 2003

  2. PC Gladiator

    Leythos Guest

    I was told by my Dell corporate account manager that every home computer
    purchaser can purchase the same level of support for about $29 at the
    time of the system purchase.

    I can assure you, the $29 is worth it - US Based, actually has used a
    computer and has real trouble-shooting skills.

    Leythos, Nov 22, 2003

  3. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    So you can of course provide a link to backup this statement. I called Dell
    sales and asked for the option and was told it wasn't available, except to
    business buyers. Until it appears on the website as an option, it doesn't
    exist.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 22, 2003
  4. PC Gladiator

    Keith S. Guest

    For my next home computer, I would be willing to pay to insure responsive
    support -

    - can I buy that support from the home, small business or higher education
    sites, or will only large corporate accounts be able to purchase the better
    support?

    Keith S., Nov 22, 2003
  5. PC Gladiator

    Leythos Guest

    I can only tell you what my business account manager told me - that I
    can purchase the add-on support for $29. I'm willing to bet that you
    have to contact a business account manager - meaning a company of 1
    person could do it.

    BTW: Why to you always top post, it destroys the flow of the
    conversation.

    Leythos, Nov 22, 2003
  6. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    No need to pay more if you make your purchase through the small business
    route. Might be several other advantages for you there as well.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 22, 2003
  7. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    But he's a business account manager. A Home Buyer isn't going to have a
    "business account manager". What he claims is possible isn't available on
    the web site so it's just not true until they implement that option there.

    BTW, I top post because that is what most people do and I hate having to
    scroll down screens and screens of posts I've already read to get a one word
    or one sentence post. It's a waste of time. Bottom posting is outdated.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 22, 2003
  8. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    The following restriction is on the Dell web site page that cover these tech
    support options.

    Gold Technical Support is currently not available on Dimension or Inspiron
    Personal Systems and is currently not available to Dell Home
    Systems..............

    Irene, Nov 22, 2003
  9. PC Gladiator

    Bob Regis Guest

    But it makes conversations harder to follow.
    Try reading through this whole post and see if it makes sense to you.

    Bob Regis, Nov 22, 2003
  10. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    I understand the flow issue but who reads through all the posts they've
    already read through? If you haven't already read the previous posts then
    by all means please take to time to do so if the you want to catch up with
    posts that are to your liking order-wise. To me that's a better option than
    the whole world spending half their time scrolling to the bottom of posts.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 22, 2003
  11. PC Gladiator

    Leythos Guest

    And nothing prevents you from ordering a NON-HOME system. In fact, the
    business systems are almost as cheap and include a better line of
    hardware in most cases.

    As always, you can call and get what you want if you ask the right
    people.

    I purchased a couple Inspiron 1100 laptops with the Gold Plan on them.

    Leythos, Nov 22, 2003
  12. PC Gladiator

    Ned Flanders Guest

    Every time I get India I talk fast and keep saying "what" during the
    delay; after thirty seconds they say that they are transferring me...
    then the next voice I get has a slight southern accent.

    Cheers,

    Ned

    Ned Flanders, Nov 22, 2003
  13. http://www.statesman.com/business/content/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/busi
    ness_f3fb91a6d56421360070.html
    Every time I get India I talk fast and keep saying "what" during the
    delay; after thirty seconds they say that they are transferring me...
    then the next voice I get has a slight southern accent.

    Cheers,

    Ned[/QUOTE]
    **********************************

    I wanted a Dell 8600 but already had problems trying to sort a Dell
    Printer...
    So I bought a Toshiba instead.......
    Well done Dell you lost at least one customer here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Dick Osborne

    Dick OsborneĀ®, Nov 23, 2003
  14. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    The restrictions that I posted are current. They were copied off the Dell
    web page minutes before I posted the message.

    Apparently, Dells policy has changed because it very clearly states that
    "Gold Technical Support is not available for either Dimension or Inspiron
    Personal Systems and is currently not available to Dell Home Systems". From
    everything I read, if an individual purchases from the business site, they
    would have to misrepresent the purchase as being for a "small business" If
    in fact the purchase was for individual use, that very likely would void the
    contract and Dell would not have to honor it.

    Irene, Nov 23, 2003
  15. PC Gladiator

    Irene Guest

    That should have read:

    .........if an individual purchases that technical support from the business
    site, they

    Irene, Nov 23, 2003
  16. PC Gladiator

    Leythos Guest

    Being that I purchase from the home and business site reps, I can assure
    you that if you purchase, as a home user - stating that you are a small
    business customer, and you call for support, that they will not even ask
    if you are really a home user.

    If you are a home user, buy a home user computer, and you ask for Gold
    Support, you won't get it.

    Again, it's based on researching your solution before you purchase it.

    If you look at the "Amazing Deals" from the small business category (
    from 1 to 200 employees) there is Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop computer
    for $349 w/o monitor).

    As I said before, a small business user can be a company of 1 based on
    Dells own information on their site.

    "Small Businesses - Technology solutions for businesses from 1 to 200
    employees."

    As for GOLD Support on Inspiron & Dimension: When selecting the options
    for the Dimension 2400 computer listed at $499, the "Gold Technical
    Support, Dimension, 1 Year with Letter [add $49 or $2/month1]"

    So, got any other arguments?

    Leythos, Nov 23, 2003
  17. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    It appears your saying exactly what my original post and Irene are saying.
    Lie and say you're a small business to get the service a Home Buyer can't
    get.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 23, 2003
  18. PC Gladiator

    Leythos Guest

    You could look at it that way, or you could look at it as though you are
    making a decision to buy business class service.

    How come you always look at the negative side of things? You've never
    had a single positive thing to say here and when you are shown that
    people can get what they want you still argue that they can't!

    Leythos, Nov 23, 2003
  19. PC Gladiator

    PC Gladiator Guest

    And why do you post things that aren't backed up by anything from Dell? You
    immediately posted support options that aren't available on Dell's website
    or when I called their 800 number.

    I'm not a business nor do I want to be a business. Why should somebody have
    to lie to Dell to get decent tech support? I guess you don't have a problem
    with that but people who think lying is wrong do have a problem with it.

    If Dell needs to charge Home Buyers in order to provide good tech support
    then be honest about it and give them the option. Don't swap in crap
    aupport from off shore that isn't good enough for the business buyers and
    think the Home Buyers aren't getting the shit end of the stick.

    Dell's less than straight forward approach now leaves Home Buyers with the
    undesirable option of lying about who they are so they can get decent tech
    support.

    PC Gladiator, Nov 23, 2003
  20. PC Gladiator

    Leythos Guest

    I quoted the options directly from Dell's web site - if you read between
    the "" marks in my post!

    It's nice that you could snip that part of the reply when you sent this.

    Here it is again in case you missed it (#)

    #If you look at the "Amazing Deals" from the small business category (
    #from 1 to 200 employees) there is Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop computer
    #for $349 w/o monitor).

    #As I said before, a small business user can be a company of 1 based on
    #Dells own information on their site.

    #"Small Businesses - Technology solutions for businesses from 1 to 200
    #employees."

    #As for GOLD Support on Inspiron & Dimension: When selecting the options
    #for the Dimension 2400 computer listed at $499, the "Gold Technical
    #Support, Dimension, 1 Year with Letter [add $49 or $2/month1]"

    You don't have to LIE to be a business customer, you only have to select
    that option and then call them - you can pay with a credit card in your
    own name - just like the home user accounts!

    You stated a bunch of things that you say Dell won't/doesn't/is not
    going to let a home user do/provide - you are WRONG! Any person can
    choose between the home user and business user accounts - they don't
    care which anyone is.

    Leythos, Nov 23, 2003