Buyer Beware! Don't choose a DELL!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jim Dep, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Jim Dep

    Jim Dep Guest

    Here's my experience.

    The first week of April 2004, I am considering ordering a Dell
    Dimension 8300. I tell the sales rep on the phone that I am undecided,
    will look at other systems first before making a decision. The sales
    rep tells me " If you order now, I will upgrade your CRT monitor to a
    flat screen CRT for no extra cost." I agree and she takes my order.

    When I recieved the Dell from UPS, I open the box and discover that I
    got the cheaper monitor that I did not want, and the computer case is
    scratched up, looking much like a refurbished computer (the box was
    not damaged at all, however it was not packed well). I call to
    complain, and after being on hold for close to an hour, the customer
    service person tells me that I did not pay for the more expensive
    monitor and will have to accept the one I recieved. He tells me that
    they can replace the computer, but I will have to wait 2 weeks, have
    to return the monitor as well, and I'm still stuck with the cheaper
    model. His english was so terrible I could barely understand him, so I
    ask to speak to another rep. The next rep's english was just as poor
    and I got the same response. I told them that I was UNDECIDED about
    accepting another computer, and was contimplating sending this one
    back for a full refund. I left it at that.

    The next day, I tried out the computer and it froze when I attempted
    to watch a DVD. It happended several times, so I called their service
    tech. I was on hold for OVER an hour, so I waited to call back the
    following day. This time I got through in 20 minutes and got another
    person that could barely speak English. I explain
    what was going on, could barely understand his response, and I ask for
    someone you was more proficient with the English language. He jokes
    that all calls to customer service and the Dell tech department are
    now channelled to New Dehli, India, and that I would have to deal with
    it.
    At that point, my mind was made up to send back the Dell. I call Dell
    again, inform them that I no longer want the computer, and that I want
    a full refund. I explain the whole story again to another
    hard-to-understand Cust.Serv. rep, and now they decide to offer me the
    better monitor that I was originally expecting. I tell them that I'm
    no longer interested, and I want to return the computor.
    We set up the return, I repackaged the system and waited for UPS.
    UPS shows up with another computer! I refuse it and ask the driver to
    take the one I have. The driver tells me that UPS is very frustrated
    with Dell because of these kind of problems, and takes my computer
    with him, and gives me a reciept.

    A week later, I check with Dell again and ask how long it will take to
    get the refund. To add to my stress, another rep tells me that
    "Someone else signed for your replacement computer, our records show
    that you accepted it," and that they do not owe me a refund. I'm livid
    at this point, and they tell me I have to wait a few days for them to
    research the problem, and then try calling back. (Keep in mind that
    everytime I call, I am on hold forever).

    My next contact with them, they tell me that they made a mistake and
    will issue me a refund in "5 to 8 weeks!" I threaten with the attorney
    general, and BBB.
    I waited to the end of May, and then called Dell back again. This time
    they tell me that "the person you talked to did not enter the refusal
    correctly, so you will have to wait until we can process your request
    for a refund."
    It is now almost July, and I still have not recieved a refund, and all
    I get is excuses. This has been a nightmare.
    Never again will I consider a Dell, no matter what.

    Jim Dep, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Immediately contact your CC company to dispute the charges.
    Hopefully you already have.

    I would doubt the comments made by UPS are an official comment by UPS
    so they should be suspect at best.
    Most companies are careful about such statements and employees that
    make such statements often find themselves unemployed for representing
    company policy/opinion.

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Jim Dep

    Eric Shune Guest

    when I ordered my Dell (M60) I first configured a system on their web. Then
    I faxed them my requirements, they faxed back a quote against which I then
    faxed them an order again outlining MY requirements and their quote
    reference. In the mean time I also spoke with a sales rep just to confirm
    this was acceptable and to obtain a direct link with someone. While I know
    this sounds over the top at least everything is in then writing.........

    eric

    Eric Shune, Jun 17, 2004

  4. I do the same thing via email. I email the sales rep I've been using for
    quite a while a PDF copy of the system configured on the web. I then get an
    email back with a quote which I verify and then email back payment info and
    customer number if one exists. Works like a charm.

    I've been doing this for over 5 years. Every so often the sale rep I've been
    using moves on but I have always received an email directing me to their
    replacement.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jun 17, 2004
  5. Sounds like the UPS guy may have a scam going on the side. You refused the
    delivery so he has one of his buddies sign for it and then they sell it or
    keep it.

    As already noted call you CC company.

    Next time you buy from any PC manufacture have them fax or email you a quote
    for you verification prior to providing you payment info.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jun 17, 2004
  6. Hi Jim,
    In the age of low computer prices tech support and customer service is not
    what it use to be.I purchase an XPS box in April 2004 from the outlet store.
    The packing were not that great, the carton had a few pieces of flimsy
    foam. The computer was not damaged in shipping. I noticed the difference
    over the years in docs, packing, etc. I would continue the process with Dell
    to get yourself another computer and monitor, you are satisfied with.
    If you need advice on products this is the place to come.
    Good Luck,
    Carolyn

    Carolyn Taliaferro, Jun 17, 2004
  7. Jim Dep

    Caden Guest

    Uh, yeah! Then the driver can use his utility knife to chase off the
    internal auditors.
    Definitely. Turn five hours on the phone into a relatively painless charge
    back.
    Couldn't agree more.

    Carolyn Taliaferro, Jun 17, 2004
  10. Sorry for the three posts.

    Carolyn Taliaferro, Jun 17, 2004
  11. The organic entity known as Carolyn Taliaferro communicated the
    following:
    Ever heard of cancelling?

    [80 lines snipped]

    And ofcourse it was relevant to include the whole conversation in your
    excuse?

    :(

    LaVacheQuiRit, Jun 17, 2004
  12. You were lucky they used UPS. My last order from Dell, and it will be my
    last order because of the run around I got from the Indians, they sent $200
    worth of equipment on some off brand shipper, who left the box on a chair by
    my front door. About a week before that a city cop had had his bicycle
    stolen about 20 feet from that spot. If I spend the money for first class
    equipment, why would I want second class shipping and service?

    Dennis

    Technobarbarian, Jun 17, 2004
  13. Jim Dep

    Notan Guest

    In Carolyn's defense, not all NSPs/Newsreaders allow cancellations.

    Notan

    Notan, Jun 17, 2004
  14. The organic entity known as Notan communicated the following:
    I agree, but a least you could try :)

    Hans

    LaVacheQuiRit, Jun 17, 2004
  15. And you are an exceptionally snide, verging on rude, twit.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jun 17, 2004
  16. Jim Dep

    Jim Dep Guest

    Thanks for your support on this. I'm reading some good suggestions
    about getting a signed invoice first, before making the actual
    purchase.
    Dell is using high pressure tactics to make a quick sale, and I was
    too trusting. I don't think I'll ever make a purchase like this on
    line again,
    but if I do, I'll take your advice!

    Regarding the email, I emailed the sales rep back immediatly, once I
    discovered
    the two problems. She did not email me back.....Dehna Mikals is the
    name she used (another employee informed me that most Dell people
    don't use their real names). I then got her voice mail, and left a
    detailed message....no return call. I gave up with her.

    UPS comments:
    I think the UPS driver felt comfortable enough with me to share his
    recent experiences concerning Dell. He has been the only driver in
    this little town for a long time, and we cross paths once in a while.
    According to him, he hears similar complaints from other local
    customers and witnesses this kind of bad business from Dell first
    hand. Just to clarify, Dell did admit on a later date that they made a
    mistake about someone accepting the replacement computer on my behalf.
    Before that, however, one Dell CSR really put me on edge for a week
    saying that someone else signed to accept the delivery. Even knowing
    this, Dell would not contact me, and that I was the one who had to
    continue the pursuit to get a straight answer. I don't think it has
    happened yet!
    Not once in writing, have they made any apology.

    After I re-read my original post from yesterday, I may have come
    accross as being prejudice against non-English speaking people. I am
    not, but the point I'm trying to make is that Dell is being deceitful.
    In my case, Dell is using the language barrier to their advangtage,
    while finger pointing at their own employees, accusing each other of
    having "poor training". I am convinced that they do this by design.

    Main Point: I sent the computer back, and they recieved and signed for
    it on May 2nd.
    Here it is June 17th, and they have not issued me a refund, while
    continuing to make excusses, blaming other employees. This garbage
    really takes its toll on my nerves, and I hope I can prevent someone
    from having to experience this.

    Jim Dep, Jun 17, 2004
  17. Jim Dep

    S.Lewis Guest

    Thank you, captain obvious.

    S.Lewis, Jun 17, 2004
  18. How do you know she didn't, cowbreath?

    Vince McGowan, Jun 17, 2004
  19. Jim Dep

    realpatrol Guest

    I can't believe you guys are falling for this troll...

    realpatrol, Jun 17, 2004
  20. Jim Dep

    Irene Guest

    I hope by now you have disputed the CC charge.
    Every time I have done this, I was immediately advised to deduct the amount
    from my bill before paying it. Hopefully your
    CC company treats you as well as ours treats us.
    ]

    Irene, Jun 18, 2004