    as original as dells lame excuses for crappy service. your so noncreative
    you could work for them. but no wait, they already can buy mindless script
    readers like you for much less in india.

    Hidalgo, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Hidalgo

    Hidalgo Guest

    how original, yawn. dell still stinks and more and more people know it
    every day thanks to tv reports like this. the writing is on the wall and it
    says dell smells like a rotten mackeral. buy from them and spin the wheel
    of misfortune to determine your punishment.

    Hidalgo, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Hidalgo

    Irene Guest

    I am in customer service, and during training, I was advised it costs a
    My father was in a service business for more than 40 years, and I remember,
    vividly, him making that same comment many, many times. Another comment he
    often made was, "the best way to keep a customer is with a quality product
    and quality service". I am not sure that business practices such as those
    exist within any large corporation, any longer.

    Irene, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Hidalgo

    Phred Guest

    Stopit... Stopit... Stopit. Jesus mate, yer killin' me...
    BWAAAHHAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAHAHA
    "Facts" from a friggin' TV reporter? Oh. christ! Stopit...
    BBBWWWWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA... Hic... Gurgle...
    Ah... Phew.. That's better. Now, where was I? Oh, TV reporters...
    Must be a *lot* different to the ones we have if you place any
    credence in them, mate!

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Hidalgo

    Phred Guest

    I think the problem we have with the PC industry is that the margins
    just aren't there now to support the type of "personal" service many
    of us became accustomed to expect over years past. And even if the
    percentage margins were still there, the actual dollars aren't.

    Once upon a time my "ideal" PC system (i.e. including VDU and
    printer) always seemed to cost $4000 (talking Oz dollars here -- you
    yanks may have had it better). Hell! I even managed to sell my
    original 8088 system after three years for $2000. (Largely because it
    had a "huge" 30MB HDD instead of the standard 20MB of the time. :)

    Now, you can get a damn decent system for about $2000. Meanwhile the
    cost of everything else, including labour, has been going up and up.
    (Try buying a new higher-performance car, or a better house, for half
    the price you would have paid for your old one 15 years ago!)

    Companies like Dell have a survival strategy of huge turnover to make
    up for lower margins as much as possible. That wouldn't work even if
    the unit cost of subsequent service and support remained the same!

    To be fair, I guess there has been some scope for reductions here due
    to more reliable components, and more experienced users. But these
    positives are countered to some extent by more complex systems leading
    to more "problems", for even experienced users; and are overwhelmed by
    the increased cost of labour to provide the support.

    It's really no wonder such companies are trying to cut back on unit
    support costs any way they can! (Mind you, I agree with Irene that
    making a reliable quality product to begin with would be a good place
    to start. :)

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Mar 4, 2004
  6. "Hidalgo"
    excerpt:

    "Dell is one of the biggest computer companies in the world, but NewsCenter 5's
    Susan Wornick has been so inundated with calls of customer complaints that Dell
    is making changes."

    Hey, let's all thank Susan Wornick for getting the computer behemoth Dell to
    change their customer service procedures. Thanks Susan, for singlehandedly
    creating change at a Fortune 500 company.

    Alan S. Wales, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Hidalgo

    Irene Guest

    I suspect that the fact that she is watched by a very large metropolitan
    Boston audience had much more to do with it than the fact of her being a
    lone individual. That kind of publicity in large TV market such as
    Metropolitan Boston Dell does not need.

    Irene, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Hidalgo

    Irene Guest

    Interestingly, you placed this quote at the bottom of your post:

    "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

    Irene, Mar 4, 2004
  9. "Irene"
    Agree. The excerpt I listed is the opening statement of the news article. It is
    shoddily written and implies that she is the reason that Dell is making
    changes. Apparently she is the story. The sentence as written is begging for a
    rewrite. It makes me wonder about her reporting skills and judgment.

    Alan S. Wales, Mar 4, 2004
  10. "Irene"
    Yes.

    Alan S. Wales, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Hidalgo

    Rod Speed Guest

    And its MUCH easier to compare prices too. In the past
    most couldnt be bothered running around comparing
    prices. Is much easier to do that using the net now.
    Depends on what you mean by decent. There are
    plenty of $1K systems now which are perfectly
    adequate for web browsing, word processing etc.
    That last isnt really that useful tho.
    I doubt it. The failure rate is now so low that that route is gone now.
    Who dont need an operation like Dell.
    Yeah, just had a quirk with ShittyBank's online banking
    where one of the PCs couldnt logon and the other could.
    They werent interested because one did work fine.
    When the product isnt that, its normally not for want of trying.

    Rod Speed, Mar 4, 2004
  12. Hidalgo

    WSZsr Guest

    If Dell and others had only to deal with hardware failures it would not be
    so challenging. It is the 80% to 90% of the total calls that are the result
    of self-inflected software issues that negatively impact the quality of
    technical support.

    WSZsr, Mar 4, 2004
  13. Hidalgo

    Leythos Guest

    The quality of support is not based on the problem presented to them,
    provided they were quality support people to begin with. Having
    supported customers for over 20 years I can assure you that support only
    suffers when companies stop properly funding the support group.

    You are 100% correct in assuming that 80%+ problems are created by
    users. I once had a lady stick a 5.25" floppy in sideways - then
    wondered why she couldn't get it out, even after I removed it (and bent
    a head) she did it again the next week.

    Leythos, Mar 4, 2004
  14. Hidalgo

    Irene Guest

    It is the 80% to 90% of the total calls that are the result

    Could you please provide a reference for this statistic?

    Irene, Mar 4, 2004
  15. Hidalgo

    Buck Rogers Guest

    I also agree. In my previous life as a computer technician, I had one
    client
    who called me out almost every day.

    He had just retired(so had alot of time on his hands), had bought a
    computer,
    and kept tinkering with it. My relationship with that client went bad,
    even though
    I liked him. He realised that my enthusiam for coming out everyday(even
    though he
    paid me) was waning and eventually asked me directly if I even wanted to
    come out
    anymore, to which I replied "I don't think that would be a good idea". End
    of
    relationship.

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Mar 4, 2004
  16. Hidalgo

    Rod Speed Guest

    Mindlessly superficial with the margins seen in this industry now.
    And with margins shrinking, nothing else is possible now.
    And you cant break even with too many customers like
    that if the margins on the hardware sale arent substantial.

    Rod Speed, Mar 4, 2004
  17. Yeah -- she has delusions of relevance.

    Zippy the Pinhead, Mar 5, 2004
  18. Hidalgo

    Irene Guest

    Let me get this straight. Because you had ONE client who called you out
    almost everyday; that provides sufficient proof that 80% + problems are
    created by users?

    This discussion has become totally irrational.

    I'll ask you the same thing.

    Since you agree, can you provide a reference, that the group can look up,
    to support such a statement?

    Irene, Mar 5, 2004
  19. If you want to know the real deal - and have a good laugh while you're at
    it - go to Tech Support Comedy at http://www.techcomedy.com/.

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Mar 5, 2004
  20. Hidalgo

    Leythos Guest

    I don't know if the OP can provide the stats, but, with over 20 years of
    supporting clients, I can assure you that more than 80% of the ones I
    deal with cause their own problems more than 80% of the time. We handle
    large companies and state agencies.

    Leythos, Mar 5, 2004