    Radeon 9000 LE
    Geforce MX440

    All are 128 mg cards. the GeForce is the cheapest.

    RossColter, Aug 2, 2003

  2. RossColter

    Minotaur Guest

    Funny joke, not.... Obviously the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, by a few clear miles!

    or why not a 9700 NP overclocked to Pro speeds, another option...

    Minotaur, Aug 2, 2003

  3. RossColter

    GTD Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 19:30:29 -0700, wrote:

    I just got my kid a system with a 9600pro, and I have to say it's
    faster than I thought it would be. It's in a system with a 2500+
    Barton and 512 meg of 333ddr. I have a 9800pro, same processor, and a
    Gig of 400ddr, and while there is a difference, it's not huge. never
    benched either though. The price difference between the 9600 pro and
    all the rest is not pennies, but I feel it was a good investment.

    GTD, Aug 2, 2003
  4. RossColter

    Simon-Pierre Guest

    Im personally getting the sapphire radeon 9600 pro card, and i think its the
    best way to go. You dont want to touch the geforce mx, or radeon 9000 for
    game wise, the ti 4200 maybe a little close to the 9600 pros performance but
    its old technology, and isnt direct x 9 compatible. Plus the 9600 pro is
    amazingly overclockable, so i suggest the Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro. it has a
    good software bundle, cheaper than the ati built card, and also simply looks
    alot better than the plain green pcb from ati.

    Simon-Pierre, Aug 2, 2003
  5. RossColter

    Simon-Pierre Guest

    just to correct myself, when i said the ti 4200 is a little close to the
    9600 pro's performance its not really its simply the second in line
    performance wise, but it still lags behind the 9600by quite a bit and is old
    technology.

    Simon-Pierre, Aug 2, 2003
  6. RossColter

    J.Clarke Guest

    What leads you to believe that the ti 4200 is not DirectX 9
    _compatible_? It doesn't accelerate the new functions of DirectX 9, but
    that does not make it incompatible, it merely means that the software
    versions of those functions will be used instead, which results in a
    performance hit if they are turned on in the application that you are
    running.

    J.Clarke, Aug 2, 2003
  7. RossColter

    RossColter Guest

    Thanks guys.
    I've decided to bite the bullet and get the 9600.

    RossColter, Aug 2, 2003
  8. RossColter

    Pluvious Guest

    Good move.. worth it in the long run.

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Aug 2, 2003
  9. RossColter

    Simon-Pierre Guest

    great choice, like pluvious said itll be good in the long run, the card wont
    be absolete in 2 months, got to love its overclock too.

    Simon-Pierre, Aug 2, 2003
  10. RossColter

    R&B Guest

    I have a ?. Would i be better off getting that 9600 Pro and a tv tuner card
    or just bite the bullet and get the 9800 AIW?
    I`m going to use both WinXP and Linux (Lindows 4.0 really) Anything would
    be better then this very old Rage pro card I`m now using.

    R&B, Aug 6, 2003
  11. RossColter

    J.Clarke Guest

    For Linux the answer is "neither". The Linux drivers for the 9600/9800
    aren't out yet, and the drivers for the older boards don't work with
    them, so you've basically got an expensive SVGA board until the drivers
    are ready. You'd do better to go with a 9700, whether AIW or
    otherwise--the drivers for them_are_ available.

    Personally for Linux I'd go with a separate tuner--the Hauppauge PVR-250
    and 350 are nice if you don't need uncompressed capture--they have
    hardware compression but only allow access to the compressed stream.
    Otherwise, anything based on a Brooktree/Conexant 848,849,878, or 879
    ADC will probably work--do check the particular product you're
    considering against the compatibility list at <http://bytesex.org/bttv/>
    before you buy--the brooktrees are easier to set up with
    Linux IMO than the AIW.

    J.Clarke, Aug 6, 2003