    manufacturers to sell a particular model that is available overseas to
    be sold locally.
    Thanks for your input.

    Roy, Feb 12, 2009

  2. It seems unlikely that any law requires government approval before
    a laptop can be sold in its country (i.e. this market is different from
    that for automobiles, etc.) Why not inquire of some manufacturer
    and report results here. We should be ready for such replies as
    "We sell in coutry X only such models as we forecast will
    maximize returns."

    Don Phillipson, Feb 13, 2009

  3. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Thanks for your input!
    Well I have sent inquiries to these laptop manufacturers but they
    never gave a proper reply, just saying they just sell the models that
    was mandated by their mother company to be sold in a particular
    country.
    They should give more explanations to the prospective customers. I
    don't understand why they are not doing such, if a certain individual
    have the financial means to bring it to the country where he currently
    resides then why are they( the laptop manufacturer/dealer reluctant to
    even give a sensible feedback to his queries.?) What is their problem?

    Roy, Feb 13, 2009
  4. I'm sure the companies have plenty of marketing monkeys determining
    which models and which features are profitable in whatever region they
    are sold.

    What is the elusive combination of features that is so hard to find?

    G.G. Willikers, Feb 14, 2009
  5. It costs any manufacturer money to send you or me a personal
    letter. It is much cheaper for a junior employee to send you a
    noncommittal reply than for a senior manager to spend time on
    the question you asked. Their business is to move product,
    not write letters except incidentally to sales (in wholesale volumes.)

    Don Phillipson, Feb 14, 2009
  6. Roy

    Gerard Bok Guest

    Actually, there are differences :)
    E.g. in the channels available to Wifi and the maximum output
    power for Wifi and BlueTooth.

    In Europe, the unit needs to be CE certified. And it wouldn't
    surpise me at all if a similar requirement exists elsewhere :)
    (Does, for example, your fire insurance cover the use of grey
    market equipment? Are you sure your rock-bottom priced far-east
    supplier is actually shipping you a genuine product, in stead of
    some local market look-alike ?)

    Other point to note: buying abroad may require service abroad.
    Next to 'we don't want to service units we didn't sell' the local
    techie may face 'no stock parts for model xxx as this was never
    sold overhere' :)

    Gerard Bok, Feb 14, 2009
  7. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Well from my experience in buying notebooks, those models I got
    overseas are more durable than what I got locally so never had a
    problem with servicing or repairs with it as Ihave not yet brought it
    to their service center.
    Indeed I concur that the local dealer will never service a model that
    you got overseas as they reasoned out that they are more advanced to
    repair and they don't have the spare parts in their inventory. But
    that reasoning does not bother me as there are always freelancer ,
    highly skilled laptop technicans that are better in looking at your
    devices than what these manufacturers service people had

    That is why experience have told me that if you want to get a good
    quality laptop, then go for the high end and it will give longer
    service than getting just what is common. Besides its difficult to
    upgrade a notebook hardware, so its best to get the top tier of such
    product meaning it has more powerful chip, more memory and graphics
    card etc, but the problem most of the time its not available
    locally...
    I don't know with the onset of global economic crisis this dealers
    will have a change of mind whether they would be open to orders of
    premium models in case to case basis.
    Have anybody have such experience yet?

    Roy, Feb 15, 2009
  8. Roy

    s. keeling Guest

    Consider an HP Pavilion with AMD64 CPU and non-Nvidia graphics. HP
    US' website offers it in the dv5, but they won't ship to Canada.
    Canada's HP only offers Intel.

    I finally found the combination in a dv4 from a brick and mortar
    BestBuy.

    s. keeling, Feb 17, 2009
  9. Roy

    P.V. Guest

    I don't think getting certifications for devices would be a big problem, and
    hardly the safety of the units would be questionable. At least all computer
    accessories and other tech-toys I have, have both CE and FCC markings on
    them (CE markings being the necessary ones here). Oh, and my laptop's
    built-in landline modem seems to be certified for use in Singapore too :)

    And when it comes to different frequencies used in wireless devices or for
    example cable modems, the devices anyway seem to have options to choose
    between different use regions (Europe / Japan / North America). Apparently
    the only 'customization' to them for different markets is which are the
    initial settings that the firmware will use when the device is first time
    powered on, or after the user has pushed reset button.
    Agree, that's a real risk. Especially if the buyer is too optimistic and
    thinks the deal is great, when he actually should think the deal is too good
    to be true.
    Agree. I suppose this is the most important reason why everything is not
    sold everywhere. Besides parts, local techie may've never been trained to
    work with some specific type of hardware. E.g. when tablet pc's were first
    launched on some limited market, an enthusiast living elsewhere may have got
    one through an unofficial channel, and in case of trouble that computer
    probably would've been difficult for some local techie to fix.

    Some more points to note: power sources can be different for different
    market due to different voltages, operating systems might come in wrong
    language, and keyboards might have wrong layouts.

    Though usually laptops' power sources take anything from 100-240 volts, and
    in such case buying a new power cord would be enough. And some people are
    going to install some other operating system anyway. And of course a real
    nerd knows the keyboard even if it shows wrong characters on it :)

    P.V.

    P.V., Feb 17, 2009