C. Presario 7QSM11 (7000z-series) Installed a new 120GB HD but cant see more than 23G

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by bdubslawman, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. bdubslawman

    bdubslawman Guest

    Hello
    Wow, where has this website been? So glad I found it!
    I am having some problems with a Compaq Presario 7QSM11 (7000z series)
    Windows ME OS.
    Its my sisters computer and she brought it to me with a dead har
    drive. I picked up a new WD 120GB Caviar (old drive was a WD 60GB).
    Set the jumpers to cable select as that is how the dead drive wa
    configured.

    First thing I did was flash the bios to the latest (3/28/02 - 786K2 RO
    family).
    I checked the bios, and it sees the whole 120GB hard drive.
    Then I ran fdisk from a Windows ME boot disk. It would only se
    23795MB of the hard drive.
    I tried using the Compaq Quick Restore disks after deleting th
    original partition. Once ME was up and running, I checked and Window
    also only saw 23.## GB.

    I have no idea what is going on and am still waiting on a response fro
    Compaq/HP.
    I thought it might have a hidden D: drive eating up the rest of th
    space, and so I tried a program from the Compaq/HP site to delete tha
    partition and to resize the C:...but no D: drive was present.

    I went to bootdisk.com and tried to use their 98 fdisk program fo
    drives over 64GB, but it just gave me errors, no matter what system
    tried to use it on.

    I really am clueless. Look I can't promise you a date with my sister
    but she'll probably be really happy if you can help. JK
    Thank you for all hel

    bdubslawman, Jan 13, 2005

  2. bdubslawman

    Quaoar Guest

    You were creating a Primary DOS partition? The last step is Do you wish
    to use the maximum available size for a primary DOS partition and make
    the partition active (Y/N)

    What did you choose?

    Quaoar, Jan 14, 2005

  3. bdubslawman