C. Presario 7QSM11 (7000z-series) Installed a new 120GB HD but cant see more than 23G

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by bdubslawman, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. bdubslawman

    bdubslawman Guest

    bdubslawman, Jan 16, 2005

  2. bdubslawman

    Ben Myers Guest

    What the BIOS reports about and how it works with a hard drive are unfortunately
    independent of one another, i.e. separately written, possibly by two different
    BIOS programmers. It's like the left hand does not know what the right hand is
    doing. I've run into a similar situation with the BIOS in the small form factor
    Compaq DeskPro Pentium III boxes, and with other manufacturers' systems as well.

    FWIW, the original 7000z was outfitted with a 60GB hard drive, so the 60GB you
    have ought to work just fine. Compaq had the 7000z motherboard built by a 3rd
    party. It is a 1200MHz Athlon, which places its age in the late Pentium 3 era.
    It is not surprising to see this sort of BIOS limitation, but it is downright
    disappointing and plain STUPID of Compaq. I think we can agree on that one,
    even if there is no agreement yet about what to do with or to your possibly
    fictional sister.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 16, 2005