    along with the LCD hinge covers to lift things out...

    Has anyone actually gone thru this gaunlet ???

    I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THIS :)

    P.Schuman, Aug 2, 2007

  2. P.Schuman

    Notan Guest

    No, but have a look at:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latc610/en/index.htm

    Notan, Aug 2, 2007

  3. P.Schuman

    Yes Baby Guest

    I have used these in the past and for £3 its fairly good value

    http://www.notebookservicemanuals.com/dell.html

    Yes Baby, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Hi!
    Dell provides a pretty good service manual for your computer that can be
    downloaded free of charge. (Another poster has already pointed to a download
    point for that, so go there and do that.)

    Read the procedures carefully and see if you think you are comfortable
    performing them. You need a good clean, quiet and well lit place to work
    with room to spread parts out. You also need a good set of small hand tools.
    If you really don't want to do it, and don't feel that anything will make
    you comfortable in doing so, then stop and see if a computer repair shop in
    your area (that is all of reputable, in business for a long time and that
    you feel you can trust) is willing to do the work. Dell might also repair
    your system if it is out of warranty. I don't know how much it might cost to
    do that, but you might see if they'd arrive at an agreement over the fee.

    Should you look at the service manual and decide that you can do it, get a
    place to work where you can leave the machine apart for a while without
    anyone bothering it. Also get plenty of places to put screws, little
    assemblies, etc. Go slow and don't force anything. Take good pictures or
    make drawings of the way parts go together if you have any doubts as to your
    remembering how they went when you first took them apart.

    Oh, and don't take anything apart until you have all the pieces you intend
    to replace. :)

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 2, 2007
  5. P.Schuman

    dg1261 Guest

    I've done it many times. But what are you aiming to accomplish? There's
    nothing to fiddle with underneath, so if your purpose is troubleshooting,
    getting underneath won't help. And if your aim is to *replace* the touchpad
    .... well, lots of stuff requires significant disassembly to get at, so
    nothing unusual with this.

    If you're just troubleshooting, about the only thing you can do is reseat
    the touchpad connector, and you only have to remove the center-control cover
    (above the keyboard) and the keyboard to do that.

    If you're going to replace the touchpad, you'll just have bite the bullet
    and go through the whole disassembly. The first time you do it, you have to
    watch out for hidden screws here and there, but once you get the idea it can
    be done in about 5 or 10 minutes--which is less time than it would take
    trying to figure out how to skip some steps. Actually, the hardest part is
    getting the hinge covers off (because they snap on).

    dg1261, Aug 2, 2007
  6. P.Schuman

    P.Schuman Guest

    thanks - yeah, at this point... I'm not sure which way to go.
    The problem is that it is not the touchpad,
    but rather just the touchpad double tap left click,
    and also the left click tabs above and below the touchpad.

    SO - the touchpad cursor works ok + the right click plastic tabs work ok..
    The only thing not working is the touchpad double tap (left click)
    and both of the plastic left click tabs above and below the touchpad...
    Oh yeah - they work sometimes for awhile, and then not.
    It could be something in the flex of the laptop casing. fragile connection,
    something stuck under there, etc

    P.Schuman, Aug 3, 2007
  7. P.Schuman

    Ben Myers Guest