    features of the ATI All-In-Wonder card. I heard that hooking a cable box to
    the ATI card takes away certain software features. Would satellite take
    away those features?

    New Question, Aug 17, 2003

  2. New Question

    Lenroc Guest

    The problem with Cable and Satellite is that the AIW can only decode the
    same signal that your TV can decode. That is, if you need a special Tuner
    Box, then the AIW will not be able to independantly tune many channels.

    For example, this is my situation:

    I live in a neighborhood where my cable company sends Channels 1-22 over
    normal cable (I can plug any Cable ready TV into a cable outlet and
    receive channels 1-22). However, all channels above 22 are sent as Digital
    Cable (whether the customer subscribes to digital cable or not). This
    means that to tune in channel 23 (for example), I need to use their Cable
    Box.

    My AiW, plugged in to a cable outlet, can receive channels 1-22 as any
    other TV can. However, to receive channels 23+, I must plug the output of
    the Cable box into the input of the AiW. This restricts me to only being
    able to watch the same program that the AiW is watching.

    The same thing would happen with satellite, except that I don't think you
    get the first 22 channels over plain Coax with satellite (i.e. anything
    coming from the satellite must go through the converter box first).

    The easy (but not cheap) way around this is to have a converter box
    dedicated to the AiW.

    Lenroc, Aug 17, 2003

  3. I have a TV Wonder PCI and I can receive up to 125 channels thru my cable
    line.

    Reggie Hillier, Aug 17, 2003
  4. New Question

    Claw Jammer Guest

    Of course, you would lose GuidePlus scheduling, as it only permits tuner
    input rather than composite or s-video.

    I have a dedicated digital box feeding AIW via composite, and I've found
    an online scheduler that allows you to choose composite as input:

    Ultimate Guide plus...

    http://www.trimind.com/UGTTV/default.asp

    It is free.

    Claw Jammer, Aug 17, 2003
  5. New Question

    New Question Guest

    Is "normal cable" analog?
    I do not understand when you say "This restricts me to only being able to
    watch the same program that the AiW is watching."

    New Question, Aug 17, 2003
  6. New Question

    J.Clarke Guest

    Personally, after dinking around with PC based solutions for a while I
    found that the most satisfactory solution is a DirecTivo. None of the
    PC program guides work as nicely as the Tivo's, with the DirecTivo you
    get direct digital recording of the satellite stream, you can record two
    separate channels and play back a recording at the same time with no
    fuss or bother, and, the Tivo being a Linux box, there is an active
    hacking community which allows all sorts of features and capabilities to
    be added.

    J.Clarke, Aug 17, 2003
  7. New Question

    Geneve Guest

    Some people can not get ALL the channels if they dont have a cable box
    plugged in.

    We have a situation here where we can not get the paid channels in one room
    but the room that has a box can get the channels.

    The web would be a faster place without Spam !

    Geneve, Sep 19, 2003
  8. New Question

    Geneve Guest

    Yeah thats what happens in my area of life too.... The only other way
    would be to split the cable before the box and run to converters or one
    converte and one straight cable losing the higher channels.

    The web would be a faster place without Spam !

    Geneve, Sep 19, 2003