    My friend has an old Dell Latitude CPi 233ST laptop, it has 32MB ram and she
    wants to upgrade. Micron says the max ram is 256 but I pretty sure those old
    P1 chipsets can't cache all 256, anybody what the cacheable limit is?

    Kyonn Gowans, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Kyonn Gowans

    Kyonn Gowans Guest

    Correction, it's not the CPI but the CP 233ST

    Kyonn Gowans, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Go to Stonent's Latitude Site
    http://home.comcast.net/~stonent/
    The Cp has a max memory capacity of two 64 meg sodimms (must be edo, pc66,
    pc100 sdram will not work).
    The Cpi or CpiD has a max memory of two 128 meg sodimms (again, must be edo)
    The 128 meg edo sodimms are scarce and expensive.

    There is a way to trick bios a Cp to make it a CpiD, they are the same
    motherboard, it is called a TR-4. That would enable a Cp to accept 128meg
    sodimms.

    Bill

    William MILLS, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Kyonn Gowans

    Ben Myers Guest

    Intel Pentium II-class chipsets, as used in Dell notebooks and elsewhere, will
    cache the entire 256MB of memory. Even if the chipset could not cache all the
    memory, an upgrade to the maximum would be recommended because a computer runs
    much faster accessing non-cached main memory instead of flogging the hard disk
    swap file... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 12, 2005
  5. If this is a Pentium machine, then the max memory is probably 128 MB and the
    cacheable limit is probably 64 MB. There were a few Pentium chipsets that
    could cache the whole 128 MB, but it's unlikely your laptop has one.

    Eddie Aftandilian, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Kyonn Gowans

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    Please do not comment on things you have no knowledge about. From the 386 on
    up, the chip has been able to cache up to 4GB of memory. Practical caching
    ceilings have always been a chipset limitation. With the early Pentium II's,
    the LX chipsets were limited to 512M with SDRAM, but would support 1GB with
    EDO. I have had multiple Pentium SMP machines with 1GB of ram.

    In the case of this particular laptop, I believe it is a P5 233 MMX chip
    (not the PII 233). Again, the limitation will be with the chipset
    implimentation, not the CPU as ignorantly stated above.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Don't be such a jerk. I never said anything about the cache limit being a
    processor limitation. I wrote in my previous post, "A few Pentium chipsets
    [can] cache the whole 128 MB." Chipsets, not processors. Also, I never
    mentioned anything about Pentium IIs, so I don't know why you brought that
    up.

    The fact is that most consumer-class Pentium chipsets (430FX, VX, TX) would
    only cache the first 64 MB of memory. The 430HX, if implemented with a
    certain tag RAM chip, would cache up to 512 MB. Server class chipsets are a
    different story, but that's not what's in a laptop.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/chip/pop/g5iComparison-c.html

    The OP wasn't concerned with whether his processor could cache 4 GB of
    memory; he was concerned with how much his *laptop* could cache. Turns out
    the Latitude CPi uses the TX chipset, so it can cache at most 64 MB of RAM.
    My original post was correct.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pmojav/54723.pdf

    Eddie Aftandilian, Feb 15, 2005