    started quiting apps to see if that would help and when I quit Camino
    the odd kernel task behavior stopped.

    Does anyone know what caused this?

    Hobo, Dec 13, 2003

  2. I don't know exactly what causes it but I do know that I've seen it
    before on my system and that's why I don't use Camino any more. It
    hosed my system so bad one that I had to do a complete system reinstall.
    I recall a couple of times watching that misbehavior and seeing it
    and/or update_prebinding taking most of the CPU time, before the
    filesystem went south. One or both would just keep running and running
    and chewing up cycles and never quit. It had the feel of a memory leak.
    I used to see the same thing with pre-1.4 Mozilla. Mozilla, and
    Firebird for that matter, are much more stable in that respect now; all
    they do is lose their bookmarks about every tenth time I launch the
    applications. :-\

    QuarterHorseman, Dec 13, 2003