Can a AM3 cpu work in a AM2 socket ( Asus M2A-VM ) ?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by TE Cheah, Jul 10, 2010.

  1. TE Cheah

    TE Cheah Guest

    TE Cheah, Jul 10, 2010

  2. TE Cheah

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Jul 11, 2010

  3. TE Cheah

    TE Cheah Guest

    TE Cheah, Jul 13, 2010
  4. TE Cheah

    Ed Light Guest

    That is most unusual. It is a BETA bios, so not completely tested.

    However they list some AM3 cpu's in their cpu support list as working
    with that bios:

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Jul 13, 2010
  5. TE Cheah

    Ed Light Guest

    Surprise! I checked on a motherboard I used to build 2 people personal
    computers, and that AM2 can also take some AM3 cpu's. Maybe this is more
    common than I thought, although I don't think it's very well-known.

    That one is the Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 with the geforce 6100 chipset.

    This makes me happy that they won't need a new motherboard when they
    upgrade from their Sempron cpu's.

    Ed Light, Jul 14, 2010
  6. TE Cheah

    Ed Light Guest

    Oops. No, for bios version it lists N/A. It can take a few Phenom AM2+.

    Forget that.

    Ed Light, Jul 14, 2010
  7. TE Cheah

    TE Cheah Guest

    I used to build 2 people personal computers

    Do you run a pc shop ? I can't find a shop in USA willing to
    mail ( sea / air ) a blu-ray rom to msia, all shops want me
    to pay for courier.

    TE Cheah, Jul 15, 2010
  8. TE Cheah

    Ed Light Guest