    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Rich/rerat, Mar 5, 2004

  2. yes and no. you can't restore it to how it was shipped from the factory
    with a single command. you have to rebuild it layer by layer yourself.

    the dell cd is not a image of the hard disk as shipped by the factory (like
    packard bell offered - which has its downside, and which is not really
    possible today given the size of software). the dell cd is a full windows
    xp cd that is bios locked so that it does not require activation (entering
    of your serial number) after installation on your dell computer. you then
    need to install drivers for options that you may have in your system that
    are not natively known to windows. dell provides a separate drivers cd for
    this purpose which you mentioned that you have seen. you will also have to
    reinstall any of the software that you wish to have on the computer. again,
    dell provides cds for any application software that you ordered with your
    system. dell will only replace damaged cds during the first 30 days of
    ownership. after that you will have to find an alternate source for
    replacements (like buying new).

    Can a Dell Dim4600 be restored to factory specs, using the Dell Restoration
    CD? I know that I don't need all the bloated software that comes with a
    "new" Dell, and I do have the extra CDs for drivers software. I just want to
    know if I have the ability to what I have inquired about.

    I have a Packard Bell, that the restoration process gives you a choice to
    either use a "Full Factory" or a "Windows-Only" restoration. What I want to
    do is make sure that I have not missed anything, since I last repartition
    the HDD and reinstalled WinXP.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    --

    Rich/rerat