    The PC-DL Deluxe uses the 875P chipset with drive controller
    configuration very similar to the P4C800-E Deluxe, so the answer would
    no doubt apply to that motherboard as well.

    Eli, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Eli

    Ben Pope Guest

    Yes it can be done. There are no hardware issues here.

    The biggest issue is in getting the drive letters to make the same
    migration.

    Never done it, so I'm not sure how you do that.

    My first attempt would be moving the drive, swapping the boot order and
    seeing if Windows starts. The worst that'll happen is that you have to swap
    them back and start thinking again... the best is that it'll work.

    You shouldn't get data corruption, thats for sure.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Eli

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    The drive format is compatible between the two controllers. There may be
    some XP issues that ARE tractable. Just try it and if trouble research XP
    HW change threads sites.

    Ron Reaugh, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Eli

    Eli Guest

    My concern is with Windows. If a Promise driver was loaded (I'm not
    certain if it was required during the original XPinstallation, given
    that the drive is run in a non-raid configuration) then my thinking is
    that Windows will continue to want to load the Promis driver.

    Should the boot disk itself be identical in the way it's layed out?
    That is, the only difference would be in the controller?
    I don't see that as an issue, although I think I follow what you're
    thinking. I recently set up a P4C800-E Deluxe with its boot disk
    being an SATA (non-raid again) drive on the ICHR5. Then I added a
    PATA drive on one of the IDE channels and the BIOS bumped the SATA
    drive down in the boot order. Kinda freaked me out when the system
    couldn't find an OS. One or two BIOS adjustments straightened it out.

    I'm going to just disconnect the PATA drive until I can get the system
    booting again.
    Again, my biggest concern is what Windows is thinking. I'm also
    worried it may write to the disk and change the driver used, meaning
    that I couldn't go back to the Promise even if I wanted to. If it
    works, that's no big deal, but if it doesn't, I'm screwed.

    Eli, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Eli

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    It probably will for the Promise controller. But it'll likely also loaded
    the ICH5R drivers and those will now find a HD.
    And if XP doesn't like the fact that the boot drive is now on a different
    controller then that's fixable with a little research.
    Independent of this issue one should always keep a current backup. They're
    great for unscrewing.

    Ron Reaugh, Jul 29, 2004
  6. Eli

    Ben Pope Guest

    Windows will use the Promise Controller Driver for the Promise Controller.
    And the Intel Driver (well, built in one by MS, probably) for the ICH5R.

    The drive itself doesn't really have a driver.
    Most certainly. It's only RAID partitions that tend to vary in this
    respect.
    Yes, indeed. I'm not sure how Windows 2K/XP assign drive letters... Win98
    used to do it on boot order, but thats decoupled now, so as long as it does
    it by some distinguishing feature of the drive, there should be no problem.
    It'll be fine in that respect, putting the drive on the old controller will
    sort it out, if having it on the ICH5R causes any problems. I say you just
    try it and see if Windows boots, if not, put it back on the Promise and then
    boot up and do some research on how to migrate the drive letter.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jul 29, 2004