Can anybody help with this? A motherboard problem, a memory problem or what

Discussion in 'Asus' started by eddwnn, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. eddwnn

    eddwnn Guest

    Why my hard drives are performing so badly?

    ASUS P4C800-E motherboard, 512mb RAM, Windows 98SE. The HDDs are
    connected to the primary IDE ports. I have no sata drives.

    I have an ATA/100 80gb Seagate and an ATA/66 8gb WD. When the WD was
    in my old P2, which I no longer have, there was no problem. Now, both
    HDs (and another I used just to see what would happen), attached to
    the P4C800-E, do not perform properly. Although programs open faster
    than on the P2, operations like copying and unraring take forever. If
    I move the mouse cursor, it responds very slowly and it is almost
    impossible to get it to land on the spot where I want it to land. The
    mouse behaves properly after the copying takes place.

    Operations like Scandisk and Defrag also take forever. Although the
    Seagate is twice as big as an old HD I used to use, it is faster, but
    it takes way too long. On a WD 40gb on my P2, Scandisk took a few
    hours and Defrag took a few minutes. Attached to my ASUS, the 80gb
    Seagate took from bedtime to dinnertime the next day to complete
    Scandisk, and hours to complete Defrag, even after the disk had
    already been defragged!

    In BIOS, I tried different combinations of enabling hyperthreading and
    using enhanced and compatibility modes in IDE configuration. I don't
    know what else to do.

    I will appreciate all help and suggestions.

    eddwnn

    eddwnn, Jun 26, 2003

  2. eddwnn

    .Aba Guest

    My war cry is: do you have a GOOD power supply to make your box work
    reliably? Check the voltages with a digital meter with and without air
    conditioners etc are running. These new boxes need mor on +12 than
    older boxes. 30 amps and more, esp if items are added later.

    .Aba, Jun 27, 2003

  3. eddwnn

    eddwnn Guest

    Sorry I took so long to answer back. I didn't mean to be rude.

    I found the problem: it is the hard drive controllers on the
    motherboard. I bought a PCI controller, actually two of them, the
    first one was defective. But the drives work fine on the card, just
    not on the motherboard.

    I updated my issue at the Asus helpdesk asking for a replacement and
    was ignored. Then I answered their survey and complained about not
    getting service and they've ignored me too. I will find another way to
    get it resolved.

    Thanks for your help,
    eddwnn

    eddwnn, Jul 18, 2003
  4. eddwnn

    Muttley Guest

    Normally you have to deal with the supplier of your motherboard to arrange
    warranty return/replacement issues.

    The manufacturer will usually not deal directly with end users unless the
    original supplier of the product has gone under.

    John S.

    Muttley, Jul 18, 2003