    Have a Chaintech 200FSB 7AJA0/100 motherboard - anyone know if it will run a
    1.3Ghz Duron ?

    TIA

    K, Sep 17, 2003

  2. K

    Wes Newell Guest

    I can tell you this much. It has the same chipset as the board below. I
    wouldn't buy a 1.3 duron for it (although it should work). See link.

    Wes Newell, Sep 17, 2003

  3. K

    K Guest

    So what cpu would you advise to use ?

    K, Sep 17, 2003
  4. K

    Wes Newell Guest

    A tbred B core or a barton 2500+ if i were buying. How much speed do want?
    It's your money.:)
    1700+ B core @ about 2.2GHz $49
    2500+ Barton @ about 2.2GHz $83
    Both would require a 13x multiplier mod.
    cheapest to just drop in without mods would be the 2100+ B core @about
    2.2GHz. $64

    Wes Newell, Sep 18, 2003
  5. K

    lost Guest

    A tbred B core or a barton 2500+ if i were buying. How much speed do want?
    What Wes is referring to about "mods" is setting a custom multiplier; a CPU's
    speed is set as a multiplication of the front side bus speed. If unlocking the
    multiplier and manually setting a higher one (Athlon XPs have locked
    multipliers meant for bus speeds higher than the older 100/200fsb) sounds too
    hard for you, then just get an Athlon XP 2200 & set the motherboard's front
    side bus to 105/210mhz, and you'll still have something a heap faster than a
    Duron (about Athlon XP 1800+ speed).

    It may be a good idea to have your motherboard's Bios updated before installing
    a new CPU.

    lost, Sep 18, 2003
  6. K

    K Guest

    Many thanks people for your help - looking forward to having a 'play' with
    it !

    K, Sep 18, 2003
  7. K

    lost Guest

    Be careful with attaching the heatsink :)

    lost, Sep 20, 2003