    just to upgrade me older system, which has a 850mhz thunderbird in it now,
    wil i see much difference in a 1.6 or even a 1.4ghz duron?

    thanks

    James, Oct 19, 2003

  2. James

    c Guest

    Unfortunately it won't. The 1.6 Duron has a 266MHz front side bus, and your
    board only supports 200MHz front side. Here is a table of the CPUs your
    board will support:

    http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/mb/cpu_supported.asp?TestFunction=442&Model=305

    I would suggest maxing out the memory with the processor you have. You won't
    notice too much difference by going from an 850 to a 1Ghz. You'll gain more
    from the memory upgrade, depending on how much you have now. If you decide
    to change the CPU, remember that at any given clock speed, an Athlon will be
    faster than a Duron.

    HTH
    Chris

    c, Oct 19, 2003

  3. James

    James Guest

    i cant find any t-birds now though :( i can have a 1.4ghz duron but i dont
    like the fact there only 64k cache not 256 like the t-bird, id rather get
    the 1ghz t-bird but as i say cant find one.

    James, Oct 19, 2003
  4. James

    c Guest

    Looking at the BIOS page for your board:
    http://tinyurl.com/ri8i

    It appears that the board will support a 1.4 CPU.but it still has to be
    200FSB. I would check EBay to see if you can fins the 1.4 Athlon with
    200FSB, or you can try www.googlegear.com, I know they used to have some
    Athlons with the 200FSB there.

    Chris

    c, Oct 19, 2003
  5. James

    SPS 700 Guest

    You can get a 1.3 Athalon 200FSB CPU for $69.00 at Starmicro.

    SPS 700, Oct 31, 2003