    Radeon 9600(non-pro) 256, and the other is a PNY Geforce FX5700 LE. I am
    going to reasonably overclock either one. Which one is better, or is there
    no real difference?

    Thejeez, May 18, 2006

  2. Thejeez

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    You are asking this in an ATI newsgroup and expect an unbiased answer?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 18, 2006

  3. Thejeez

    Thejeez Guest

    Just strictly based on performance. Are they about the same Gen of cards,
    or is one quite a bit better than the other?

    Thejeez, May 18, 2006
  4. Thejeez

    Paul_in_NC Guest

    Here's the tech on both of these cards:

    ATI 9600 (non-pro)
    ------------------------
    Core clock: 325Mhz
    Memory clock: 400Mhz (200Mhz DDR)
    Bus width: 128bit
    Raster operator units: 4
    Pixel shaders: 4
    Vertex shaders: 2
    DirectX: 9.0
    Pixel shader: 2.0
    Vertex Shader: 2.0

    nVidia Geforce FX5700LE
    ------------------------
    Core clock: 250Mhz
    Memory Clock: 400Mhz (200Mhz DDR)
    Bus width: 128bit
    Raster operator units: 4
    Pixel shaders: 4
    Vertex shaders: 3
    DirectX: 9.0
    Pixel shader: 2.0
    Vertex shader: 2.0

    IMHO: It's a coin toss as far of which of these "value-oriented" cards
    will give you the best performance. FWIW: The ATI card does have an
    edge over the nVidia card with it's faster GPU core clock speed (325Mhz
    vs 250Mhz), and the nVidia has an edge over the ATI card with it's
    extra vertex shader (3 vs 2). In the long run, it really doesn't matter
    which you choose. I personally would choose the ATI card over the
    nVidia card because I am partial to ATI GPUs.
    I don't know if I have been of any assistance in your quest to find the
    best video card for your needs, but I wish you luck!

    Paul_in_NC

    Paul_in_NC, May 18, 2006
  5. Thejeez

    Paul_in_NC Guest

    By the way, if you do choose the ATI card, you can use ATITool
    http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ to squeeze a bit more performance
    out of that 9600. Here's some info from ATITool:

    ATITool is an overclocking utility designed for ATI video cards.
    Design target is to write a light-weight application for the enthusiast
    - so no questionable registry tweaks. Sorry.
    Main Features

    * No limits overclocking.
    * Finding maximum core and memory overclock by rendering into a
    Direct3D window and scanning the output for visual artifacts.
    * Temperature monitoring and fan speed control (on supported cards)
    * Removal of Catalyst overclocking lock for 9000/9200/9550/9600
    series.
    * Artifact scanning mode for non-ATI cards - use together with a
    3rd party overclocking utility.
    startup.
    * Hotkeys that can be used any time to load clocks from a profile.
    * 3D application detection (Direct3D 8, Direct3D 9, OpenGL) to
    overclock your video card only when required.
    * Gamma control

    ATITool will only work on Windows 2000/XP/2003 (64 bit versions are
    supported).

    Paul_in_NC, May 18, 2006
  6. Thejeez

    Thejeez Guest

    Thanks. thats what i needed to know.

    Thejeez, May 18, 2006
  7. Thejeez

    Ian Guest

    I've had a 256mb Powercolor 9600 (PRO) for 3 years now and I am surprised
    by how well it still stands up, given that it balances nicely with my
    32-bit CPU (3200+). It won't overclock for toffee and I think that is
    because of heat issues. I like the card and (with the exception of things
    ..NET related) ATI software. But I have recently broken with tradition and
    installed a couple of Nvidia cards on two systems which are very like my
    own. So alike in fact that I can see that my 9600 simply spanks a 5200FX,
    but I suppose that is rather a "toy" card even against a 9600 (I suppose
    not really much newer either) and I know nothing of a 5700. Looking at
    the specs you posted Paul, not much in it I gather! I do have to say I
    rather like the current forceware though!

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0620-2, 18/05/2006
    Tested on: 18/05/2006 23:58:01

    Ian, May 18, 2006
  8. smartsupport2006, May 30, 2006