Can Dell 8400 530 3.0ghz be upgraded to 6xx architecture and CPU?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by pattyjamas, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. pattyjamas

    pattyjamas Guest

    I am bidding on Ebay for a DELL 8400, Intel® Pentium® 4 530 Processor
    at 3.0 GHz with 800Mhz front side bus 1MB Cache, with HT technology.
    Price will be about $550 loaded with a lot of good stuff, emory and
    such.

    Not a great dell fan but price seems right if I win bid.

    I note the new Pentium 4's dell sells are 6xx chips thus having more
    chache I think even though they are the same 3.0ghz.

    Question: 1. Worth upgrading to a 6xx series chip from a 530?

    2. Is it possible or does it require entire chipset and other MOBO
    changes that are only possible with a new MOBO from DELL?

    Thanks-just asking. Not thinking it may be necessary, but inquiring
    minds like to know and learn and you all have been very helpful.

    Sincerely
    Patty

    pattyjamas, Mar 20, 2005