Can Dual Layer DVDs Play in Most Standard DVD Players?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by gary, May 21, 2006.

  1. gary

    gary Guest

    Just upgraded my PC's DVD burner to one that supports Dual
    Layer (D/L). I'd like to use it to "burn" 2 hours of
    recorded video from my AIW X800-XT onto a single disc.

    My question is: Will D/L DVDs play in most standard DVD
    players (not recorders, just standard, retail DVD players)?

    In other words, I'm "assuming" that Dual Layer just means
    it's like a standard DVD, but records on both sides vs. one.
    So when playing the DVD in a standard DVD player, I'm
    assuming all you would need to do is "FLIP" the disc over
    and play the other side. Is this correct?

    So if the D/L is DVD-R, and your DVD players support DVD-R
    discs (which 99.9% do), then WOULD THE D/L DVD-R PLAY BACK
    FINE?

    Or do DVD players (NOT recorders) specifically have to
    support D/L formats?

    Thanks for any/all advice.

    Gary

    gary, May 21, 2006

  2. gary

    Tom Lake Guest

    My question is: Will D/L DVDs play in most standard DVD players (not
    No. Dual Layer has both layers on the same side. It reads
    the top layer then refocuses the laser to read the layer underneath.
    You don't have to flip it over.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, May 21, 2006

  3. gary

    Clas Mehus Guest

    Yes -- at least if your DVD-recorder have the possibility to have the
    Booktype/Bitsetting set to DVD-ROM for dual layer-discs. Many (most)
    recorders fixes this automaticly for DVD+R DL and DVD-DL.

    At least a bit older players could have advantage of booktype set to
    DVD-ROM, as they might not "understand" what a DVD-/+R DL-disc is, but
    can read it through if they belive it is a DVD-ROM (DVD-players always
    support dual layer DVD-Video-disc, do the Dual Layer-part is always
    supported -- 90%, or maybe more, of DVDs with movies have two layers).

    But for two hours of video you should be able to use a standard
    single-layer disc and still have have very good quality.
    Dual Layer have both layers on the same side, so you don't have to
    flip.

    Clas Mehus, May 21, 2006
  4. gary

    William Guest

    No:

    Most of my relatives have dvd players more than 2 years old and they can not
    play dvd+r or dvd-r, let alone dual layer, MP3, dvd+/-rw, or anything other
    than factory stamped dvd's, single or dual layer.

    Strange enough, I once distributed a dvd-r without sound that ran fine in
    their units, but after encoding sound, the dvd's would not work. Very
    strange.

    Always check your target audience and see what type of equipment they have.
    Be sure they have modern equipment purchased in the last 2 years, and were
    smart enough to purchase a multi-format dvd player. Then you will be OK.
    OTHERWISE, -----GOOD LUCK----

    William

    William, May 21, 2006
  5. Yes; most factory pressed DVDs of movies are dual-layer.

    Barry Watzman, May 22, 2006
  6. Correct. But it's worth noting that double sided media that you have to
    flip over does exist, although it's exremely rare. Such a media could
    actually be dual layer on each side and hold about 18 gigabytes of data.

    But normal dual layer media has both layers on the same side.

    Barry Watzman, May 22, 2006
  7. gary

    Clas Mehus Guest

    Most DVD-players for the last 5-6 years can handle recorded discs. I
    guess you can say at least around 80 % of the players from the 6 last
    years. The compatiblity for DVD-R is somewhat better than for DVD+R,
    but this can often be fixed if your recorder can change booktype
    (DVD+R/RW/+R DL/-R DL etc. will be identified as DVD-ROM).

    Personally I have a Samsung-player from 2000. This can handle MP3,
    DVD+R DL, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW etc etc. Also my first player,
    which I belive I bought in 1998, could handle CD-R/RW with MP3's
    (thus, never tried it with recorded DVDs).

    Clas Mehus, May 22, 2006
  8. gary

    William Guest

    Clas:

    Have you been to Wal-Mart lately? I have, only 2 out of 8 demo units were
    multi-format that could play all formats. I went shopping for a
    multi-format to purchase for mom so she could see the 2,347 slides I scanned
    of dads from the 30's - 80's. I also needed something to recommend for
    anyone interested. Found a cheep $39.00 unit for sale at Sears. Small and
    cheep, and can play anything I throw at it. Out of 14 different relatives,
    only four could play dvd-r I made. (And two were computers)

    All I am saying, if someone is worried about being able to play a home
    recorded dual-layer dvd in someone else's player, they have more to worry
    about than this. They better check their target audience and find out what
    type of gear they have. Shall we discuss hd-dvd and blue-ray while we are
    at it?

    William

    PS

    When I took Multi-Media and CD-ROM production in college, we had a saying.
    "Start at the end and work backwards." In other words, know your customer.
    Know what equipment they have, what they expect as far as 'splash', cultural
    norms, do's and don't, content, 'user profiling', iconic research, etc.
    THEN you can work backwards. What type of equipment is required to develop
    the delivery mechanism needed. What type of content is acceptable to the
    viewing audience. Then you could write a script, make budgets, and produce
    content. THEN you can produce, edit, master, copy, and distribute.

    People who start at the beginning usually get shot down before they get to
    the end.

    William, May 23, 2006
  9. You are mixing apples and oranges.

    DVD players were made, first, to play video DVDs. I'd say that
    virtually every DVD player made in the past 4 years can play a video DVD
    whether it is single or dual layer, +R, -R, +RW or -RW.

    That has nothing to do with playing VCDs, MP3 CDs, CDs with JPEG
    pictures on them.

    You are confusing being able to read the media with what type of data is
    recoreded on that media.

    The original question ("Can Dual Layer DVDs Play in Most Standard DVD
    Players?") dealt ONLY with ability to physically read the media. It
    didn't even touch on the question of what that data was, which is what
    you now seem to be asking about.

    Barry Watzman, May 23, 2006
  10. gary

    William Guest

    Barry:

    I am doing nothing of the sort.

    The question as put: "......I'd like to use it to "burn" 2 hours of
    recorded video from my AIW X800-XT onto a single disc......"

    and

    "......Will D/L DVDs play in most standard DVD
    players (not recorders, just standard, retail DVD players)?....."

    and

    "---In other words, I'm "assuming" that Dual Layer just means ..."

    If you think every DVD player on the market made in the last 4 years can
    play dvd-/+r, +rw or-rw, I suggest you go down to Wall-Mart or FredMeyers
    and get an education. I HAVE. YOU ARE WRONG!

    I am confusing nothing. What a waste of time. Question asked and answered.

    William

    William, May 23, 2006
  11. Virtually ALL movies sold in stores ARE dual layer.

    As to +/-, most of the test of compatability for - (which is more
    compatible) were showing about 80% compatability with NEW (e.g.
    currently in production) models in 2002 (when I was deciding which
    format to get, before there were dual format burners). They showed
    slightly less for the "+" format. That was in 2002. Since DVD burning
    has become common (since now about half of all camcorders are
    direct-to-DVD camcorders), that number has to be higher. It has to be a
    lot higher, like very near 100%. I suggest to you that the
    compatability problems that you see at Wal-Mart have much more to do
    with the recording software and the format than with the media type.

    Here's a test: Find a pressed commercial movie DVD that is less than 5
    gigs and that is recoreded single layer (e.g. a short movie). Use
    low-level COPYING software to copy that DVD to both + and - format
    media, without re-encoding. Now try your Wal-Mart tests on those
    copies. I'd bet that you get dramatically higher compatability, near
    100%. Because the issue isn't the media (e.g. +/_ or single vs. dual
    layer), it's what the recording software burns onto that media.

    Barry Watzman, May 23, 2006
  12. gary

    William Guest

    Barry:

    Your information is nice, but has nothing to do with the question asked.

    You missed the point.

    William

    William, May 23, 2006
  13. gary

    William Guest

    Barry:

    Let me put it to you this way:

    I copy movies off the air, edit out the commercials, trim the front and
    back, then burn them to dvd. I copy my old VHS tapes to dvd, sometimes
    requiring dual layer. I can play them on my multi-format dvd players I have
    with no problem.

    If I take these dvd's to two friends in town, they will not play in their
    machines, one friend they will.

    Guess who has the multi-format dvd player? End of story. Forget all your
    technical babble. Know your target audience and what equipment they have.

    William

    PS
    I had to throw out a new dvd-rom player in my computer I purchased last year
    because it would not play dvd +/-r. Purchased it from Fry's last
    September - they said it would play them all!. Replaced it with a dual layer
    burner to go along with my single layer burner. According to you, this is
    not possible.

    Do you know what a straw argument is?

    William, May 23, 2006
  14. gary

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    I think I will have to disagree. There exists a standard for DVD in the
    United States. Software that burns in DVD-compatible format has to conform
    to that standard. The standard covers the MPEG2 standard such as bitrates
    etc.
    In addition, the standard also covers the audio. There is very little room
    for variation. In short, all current DVD authoring software will author to
    DVD yellow book/Orange book specifications. I have used all the popular
    apps (Nero, Roxio, Pinnacle, Sony Vegas, Ulead etc) and they all produce
    standard format DVD disks, which can be verified by using a utility such as
    GSpot.

    The tolerance of any unit to the various disks has more to do with the dye
    formulation (reflectivity), and to the speed at which the disk is recorded.
    Some formulations of recordable DVDs do not have as high a reflectivity
    (albedo) as do others. The less light that is reflected from the recording
    layer, the more likely that there will be compatibility issues.
    Also, disks burned at 16x do not have the lands and grooves recorded as
    "deeply" because there is less time per sector for the laser to write. Even
    though some units can increase the wattage of the laser, it still cannot
    compensate completely for this "fainter" image because the disc is spinning
    faster. At 1x, a DVD writes the same amount of data as a CD writer at 3x;
    thus a 16x DVD is equal to a CD writer at 48x.

    A good rule of thumb is to find a formulation that your player likes, and
    burn it as slower speed, certainly no faster than 4x.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, May 23, 2006