    Windows 7. I'm about to buy a 3TB hard drive. Would this motherboard
    support it? If not, is there a new driver update to make this
    possible?

    Workbug, Jun 9, 2011

  2. Workbug

    Paul Guest

    I'd start by looking to the disk manufacturer, to provide some advice.
    One of the links here, will likely answer your questions. At a guess,
    I'd say it'll be easier to make it a "data" drive, than a "boot" drive.

    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/beyond-2tb/

    There is a barrier of sorts, at 2.2TB, which is where the fun begins.
    If you buy a 2TB drive, then there is nothing to worry about. If you
    use a 3TB drive, or make large RAID arrays or the like, then you have
    further reading ahead of you.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 9, 2011

  3. Workbug

    Workbug Guest

    Western Digital says only systems with new BIOS can go over the 2TB
    barrier. That's why I'm looking for a BIOS update or some sort.

    Workbug, Jun 10, 2011
  4. Workbug

    Paul Guest

    You can always set up a small drive as the boot drive, and save the
    3TB one for a data-only drive. An SSD drive makes a good choice for the
    boot drive, at least in terms of performance. Or some people might use
    a Raptor for the boot drive.

    *******

    In a few isolated cases, there have been motherboards with two kinds
    of BIOS available for them (EFI was an option). But for the rest, you'd
    be stuck with just the one kind (either the older kind, or the newer
    EFI/UEFI kind). The manufacturers generally only feel obligated to
    release one architecture (they consider the stream of BIOS releases
    they make, to be "bug fixes" - a new BIOS architecture isn't a bug
    fix as such).

    In only one case, I've seen a motherboard manufacturer actually
    remove a feature, in the second and all subsequent BIOS releases.
    The users were quite annoyed, but the reason the manufacturer did
    it, is they didn't have a license to release the feature in the
    first place :) So their first release was an "accident". Other
    than that, they seem to live up to whatever they stated in the
    manual, as being a feature. Straying from what is printed in the
    user manual, as a feature set, wouldn't be normal for them.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 10, 2011
  5. Hi,

    like Paul said - there is no way to use it as boot drive (with more
    than 2.2 TB in one single partition).

    best choice for xp32 + win7:
    SSD boot drive, 3 TB data drive

    btw