    brand. Is it okay to charge my battery with another type of charger
    without turning the computer on?! Just to give it a charge..

    Thanks!

    mc.preist, Jan 6, 2007

  2. mc.preist

    BillW50 Guest

    That usually would be okay. Unless you have one of those fast charging
    laptops. Plus stating the make and model of your laptop would help. Also
    the friends laptop as well.

    WARNING: I assumed you know that the voltage and polarity of both
    adapters have to be the same. You knew this right?

    BillW50, Jan 6, 2007

  3. mc.preist

    mc.preist Guest

    Sure!

    The Laptops:
    AC 90W - Dell Inspiron 9400/E1405 (mine)
    AC 65W - Dell Inspiron 6400

    The outputs on the adapters are the same, except the Watts.

    Note: My laptop has a 8-cell battery, with extra capacity (4-hours).
    Anyway.. even the adapters look almost identically, the only difference
    is the size.. But I don't want to hurt my battery.. Only if it's 100%
    safe to do it.

    mc.preist, Jan 6, 2007
  4. mc.preist

    BillW50 Guest

    Well it shouldn't hurt your laptop none. Your friend's adapter might be
    in slight amount of trouble if your laptop wants more than 65 watts.
    Although if that happens, it should be designed to just shutdown
    automatically.

    Once can get fancy by adding fuses and a watt meter and all. But it
    would be okay to go ahead. And watch the charging lite and make sure it
    indicates everything is ok. Also keep checking your friend's adapter in
    case it gets hotter than normal. If everything is ok, your friend's
    adapter and of course your laptop will be fine.

    BillW50, Jan 6, 2007
  5. mc.preist

    ken10254 Guest

    I'm not sure that a Dell adapter of lower wattage will be recognized by
    the laptop. I had a similar situation and the battery would not charge
    with the lower wattage power supply for some reason. The BIOS would not
    allow the battery to charge, although it would run the laptop.
    Go figure!
    Ken

    ken10254, Jan 7, 2007
  6. mc.preist

    BillW50 Guest

    Well some laptops will do this if there isn't enough power to do both.
    As by design they will kill off the battery charging. I think this came
    about with outlets (lower power) on airlines.

    BillW50, Jan 7, 2007
  7. mc.preist

    zwsdotcom Guest

    It won't hurt anything, it just won't work. Dell machines of reasonably
    recent vintage can identify the attached AC adapter and will not charge
    off an unidentified or underpowered adapter.

    zwsdotcom, Jan 7, 2007
  8. I had a couple of Dell laptops (year before last, I think) that were
    similar to this (the newer one was an Inspiron 8200, I think) and the
    only issue I had with using the lower wattage power supply with the
    8200 was that the battery would actually discharge (slowly) if I ran
    the laptop while trying to charge the battery. I also got a message
    telling me that the laptop would be running at max-battery speed,
    rather than A/C supported speed.

    If I turned the laptop off, the battery would charge, however.

    Good luck,
    --Charles

    Charles Marslett, Jan 7, 2007
  9. mc.preist

    mc.preist Guest

    I though it should be so.. When you don't turn the laptop on the BIOS
    can not decide if your battery can be charged or not. I'll try to give
    my laptop a charge, see how it works. I'm just concerned about hurting
    my battery. I'm not a hardware engineer, so I'd rather be careful.

    cheers,

    mc.preist, Jan 7, 2007
  10. mc.preist

    ken10254 Guest

    That's exactly what happened in my case. Also, the cpu ran at half
    speed as mentioned in another post. No charge of the battery even if
    the laptop was off.
    Ken

    ken10254, Jan 7, 2007